Traction Control Light keeps coming on 2018 Wrangle JL

Brianh1771

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
2018 Wrangler JL (25,000 miles on vehicle all road & freeway). After driving into Rocky Mountains, 90 mile drive in good weather and snow, the traction control light comes on. This has happened at least 5 times, upon inspection the car smells of heat. Once the car cools and restarts the light goes out. Have taken to dealer multiple times and they say they can’t reproduce after driving locally. The rear differential fluid is jet black and gritty and the dealer (Larry H. Miller Jeep Havana St) says that is normal. NOPE, I told them! Any thoughts? I told them to keep the vehicle until they figure it out.
Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Curious what does heat smell like?

If you optioned LSD, the rear diff fluid is dark because of friction modifier additives in it.
The traction control light usually comes on if there has been a mismatch of wheel spin being detected dependent on your steering wheel rotation, but it's weird that it goes out once cooled.

OP
OP

Brianh1771

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Just a heat smell coming out from the rear end. No additive that I am aware of. The light comes on while driving and stays on and traction control stays off until the car cools and restarts after cool down.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Take it in. A lot of seemingly unrelated problems can happen if the ESS battery or charging system is bad. I think traction control lights is possible one of them?

OR... you say you smell "heat" as in something overheating? Does it smell like a burnt clutch or over heated brake pads? Like maybe your brake pads overheating from a malfunction of the traction control system? Might be the brake lock differential applying the brakes and overheating? Or a defective wheel sensor?

I'd take the wheels off and take a good look at your pads and rotors for signs of over heating. Or take a laser thermometer with you and check each rotor the next time it happens. I am thinking it might be the BLD being over worked?

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ld-brake-lock-differential-really-work.14210/
Sponsored