Tracking Jeep JLUR Diesel Issues

Pappy06

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4XE Ordered, GMC Denal Diesel, Triumph Bonnie
Somewhere on here is a poll asking who has any problems at all and who has no problems at all with their diesels. Last I looked it was 97.5% no problems and 2.5% with any problems.
Sponsored

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Doesn't the taser turn off the Auto Park thing?

Johnny2018

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021JLUD
Occupation
Law Enforcement
Vehicle Showcase
550 miles on my 2021 JL Rubicon and no issues yet. Got it delivered 2 days ago on 1/8/21 and first thing i did is check the fuses. Only a few were not fully pressed down.

btrov

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU Sport, 2020 JLU Rubicon Diesel
Well, was hoping after my original issue of the DEF tank being too full, I wouldn't have additional DEF issues. Guess I should be happy I got the Jeep up to 4K miles.
Jeep Wrangler JL Tracking Jeep JLUR Diesel Issues 1616085238079

Headed out on a Saturday. Got on the highway about 20 miles in received the dreaded 'engine will not restart in 150mi'. Continued on since the trip was going to be less than 150 miles. Got to our destination, shut down a couple of times (at which point the error said 72mi to shutdown). At some point, started the Jeep again and error gone. Drove back the 90 miles to the house. Did little trips here and there (probably 100 miles worth), then received the above. WTH? Error cleared, drive around, then the 'countdown' starts where it left off?
Took Jeep to dealer since we have a trip planned. Just got a call 'we think it's the DEF pump. We'll replace it tomorrow to see if the error goes away'.
Have a 2013 JK. It's been in shop less over the course of 8 years than this has in 6 months.
Starting to think buying the Diesel was the worst decision I could have made.

Johnny2018

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021JLUD
Occupation
Law Enforcement
Vehicle Showcase
I bought some def fluid at Walmart and filled it up when it got to 50%. Have not had any issues with my 3.0

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Well, was hoping after my original issue of the DEF tank being too full, I wouldn't have additional DEF issues. Guess I should be happy I got the Jeep up to 4K miles.
Jeep Wrangler JL Tracking Jeep JLUR Diesel Issues 1616085238079

Headed out on a Saturday. Got on the highway about 20 miles in received the dreaded 'engine will not restart in 150mi'. Continued on since the trip was going to be less than 150 miles. Got to our destination, shut down a couple of times (at which point the error said 72mi to shutdown). At some point, started the Jeep again and error gone. Drove back the 90 miles to the house. Did little trips here and there (probably 100 miles worth), then received the above. WTH? Error cleared, drive around, then the 'countdown' starts where it left off?
Took Jeep to dealer since we have a trip planned. Just got a call 'we think it's the DEF pump. We'll replace it tomorrow to see if the error goes away'.
Have a 2013 JK. It's been in shop less over the course of 8 years than this has in 6 months.
Starting to think buying the Diesel was the worst decision I could have made.
Was the DEF gauge slowly creeping lower over time (as it should); or is this a scenario where the gauge shows plenty of DEF yet you're still getting the message?

imjester77

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Eco Diesel; 2014 JKU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Funny you should post that...same EXACT Thing happened to me. But mine went away and has not returned. Probably because I topped off my DEF. But when I took it to the dealer, they said that even though the light was on, and the Def warning was there, that I needed to drop it off for further review. I left and scheduled for the next day, but we had a winter apocalypse here in south texas and I could not bring it in. but the light soon went off and well, its been almost a month and nothing.

btrov

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Was the DEF gauge slowly creeping lower over time (as it should); or is this a scenario where the gauge shows plenty of DEF yet you're still getting the message?
The DEF gauge was drifting lower. I had just put 2.5 gallons of DEF in a few weeks earlier (made sure the DEF was stamped the last 30 days) since it was showing 50% full.

btrov

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Funny you should post that...same EXACT Thing happened to me. But mine went away and has not returned. Probably because I topped off my DEF. But when I took it to the dealer, they said that even though the light was on, and the Def warning was there, that I needed to drop it off for further review. I left and scheduled for the next day, but we had a winter apocalypse here in south texas and I could not bring it in. but the light soon went off and well, its been almost a month and nothing.
Will be interesting to hear if the issue returns back if it's at the previous warning mileage like mine (72mi for me).
Just got a call from the dealer:
"We replaced the DEF pump. Took it out for a test drive and it threw a different code. We need to order a module for it. Don't expect to have your vehicle ready until maybe Monday night'. Great, heading out on vacation Sunday. Didn't want to take the gasser but looks like we have no choice.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Will be interesting to hear if the issue returns back if it's at the previous warning mileage like mine (72mi for me).
Just got a call from the dealer:
"We replaced the DEF pump. Took it out for a test drive and it threw a different code. We need to order a module for it. Don't expect to have your vehicle ready until maybe Monday night'. Great, heading out on vacation Sunday. Didn't want to take the gasser but looks like we have no choice.
Will be interesting to see what the failure point was. Other than overconsuming, the SCR system has seemed to be more reliable than I expected thus far across the board. The EGR system has caused more reported issues by a good margin but I’ve never met a truly reliable EGR design. The most reliable diesels are the ones with no DPF, no SCR, no EGR.

Sponsored

JLUMich

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU EcoDiesel
Thanks to this forum, I reseated my fuses early and got my steering box replaced within a week of ownership.
Currently sitting at 9400 miles, never had any codes or def problems, definitely a keeper for now.

Anthonyb1969

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlur diesel
Does oil leaks count? This is the 3 leak from the passenger side with 4800 miles on the motor. Dealer cant figure it out. This time they put a dye in the oil.

BD19D630-9301-40C6-BFA2-74CD66A0DC6C.jpeg

btrov

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So the dealer replaced the PCM (Powertrain Control Module)...twice. First time they roached it (per dealership, instructions were incorrect). Have only put 10 miles on it since. Will post if issues are experienced going forward.

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
4/1/2021: all ecodiesels in the world blow up because of a previously undiscovered virus that got into the diesel fuel.