First Name
Cesar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon diesel, 2019 F350 diesel, 2018 Can Am x3, 2013 Prius plug in
Occupation
Transportation
Csarcon, I wish you luck. How many miles do you have on your rig? I am too in limbo and what I expected to be a couple days turned into a couple weeks and now I am looking at 3 months!

I agree, the dealerships are completely lost, clueless and not prepared for the JL Ecodiesel issues and even after three weeks, I cannot get out of them exactly what is wrong with mine. What a mess. My dealership manager is now ignoring me, and I have a case # with Jeep and FCA North America and going to see what my options are hopefully by tomorrow.

I had 9 miles (I believe) upon delivery, sits at about 1300 maybe, I really dont drive it much as it is my wife's main vehicle so I dont really watch the odometer, I was fully commited to this built and wanted to be done before the end of summer with most of the modifications, some have gone on the jeep now, like the front bumper and winch, but I have a lot of more still in the garage or on the way, so far its about 10K in aftermarket parts, so there is not going back at this point, the only main thing I still needed to settle on was a lift kit and shocks (probably kings, the wife did mention "why cant mine have the same shocks as your truck"), but at this point I am scare to spent more money on a rig that is gonna sit at the dealer
Sponsored

Wicked3.0

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Rubicon
I had 9 miles (I believe) upon delivery, sits at about 1300 maybe, I really dont drive it much as it is my wife's main vehicle so I dont really watch the odometer, I was fully commited to this built and wanted to be done before the end of summer with most of the modifications, some have gone on the jeep now, like the front bumper and winch, but I have a lot of more still in the garage or on the way, so far its about 10K in aftermarket parts, so there is not going back at this point, the only main thing I still needed to settle on was a lift kit and shocks (probably kings, the wife did mention "why cant mine have the same shocks as your truck"), but at this point I am scare to spent more money on a rig that is gonna sit at the dealer
WOW we are literally in the same boat! I also just got everything done (winch, tires, yadda yadda yadda...) everything except the lift, as there is still not a solid kit yet for the diesel specific shocks / springs and was waiting for Rock Krawler or Metal Cloak. And just when I am ready to really test and have fun with the build, it's out of commission!

diesel_jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4bt Cj
I think some of these dealers are defrauding FCA on components they claim to be replacing. I took a photo of the paint pen marks on the EGR valve, that was supposedly replaced; by the dealer and the paint pen marks matched exactly on the new purported valve.

Got the wrangler back with the same exact issues I brought it in for. I also had TPMS issues and all they did was rotate the tires to give the illusion that the TPMS had been replaced but the issue just shifted from the rear to the front tires. Looks like lots of dealer fraud is happening.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Can I get access to the spreadsheet, looks like I am next to ride in the problem wagon, last Thrusday (5-21-20) I took the Jeep to fill up the tank as my wife was making a trip to Arizona (we are in California), then all of a sudden I lost power on the accelerator and it would barely move (limp mode is my guess) and the check engine light went on, I have a dealer within 2 miles from home so I took it there to get it tested, it was low on fuel (a little less than a 1/4 tank, added fuel and problem was still there so I drove it accross the street to the dealer), on Wednesday I stopped at the dealer and they said they tried different things suggested by Chrysler and none fixed the problem, they were waiting to have the techs from Chrysler look at the date after several test and they would need to wait until the techs tell them how to proceed. The next day (yesterday) they said they had been advise by Chrysler to change the EGR, but they are not sure when they would have the part, but that I should hear from them soon, over 24 hours have past and I guess we still dont have a timeframe for this part, being that I am out of a vehicle for a week now I think I am gonna ask to have a loaner provided. Wish me luck fellas, I hope this doesnt become an ongoing issue with these engines.

The dealer did mentioned that they had a couple diesel mechanics, but this being a new 2020 Wrangler Diesel it made it a little harder to diagnose as they have not had any there, he said they havent even sold one there (prices are stupid high thats why lol), I am not sure I like hearing that, but I guess it's part of the "test pilot project" we all signed up for, I am hoping this is not a long or repetitive ordeal.

I am concern as they are suppose to have all these stupid sensors everywhere and computer systems to help them read the data, yet the dealer doesnt know how to fix a fault ?? makes you wonder how smart these guys can really be and by the same token how hard to fix these diesels once they are out of warranty, I guess we will eventually find out
You’re at least the 4th known EGR issue, maybe 5th. No surprise that people are looking for deletes. I hope they resolve this without issue for you.

Csarcon

First Name
Cesar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon diesel, 2019 F350 diesel, 2018 Can Am x3, 2013 Prius plug in
Occupation
Transportation
Hi all,

Just wanted to update this thread on my issue:

My JL Ecodiesel has been at the dealer for 12 days now. Unfortunately, this is one of those common situations where the owner of the vehicle (me) is more aware about the vehicle than the service advisor, and it's like pulling teeth to understand what is going on exactly.

Apparently, there are multiple codes being thrown and the most obvious ones are a sensor in the emissions system, along with a bad Power Distribution Center (PDC aka fuse box).

I've been waiting for news since last Tuesday (5/12) when they figured out the issue. The problem is that they cannot locate either part, so I am in limbo until they can locate and ship the parts to the dealer. Also, service advisor told me apparently the technician "thinks" the turbo is bad as well, but he says he can't tell until the PDC is is replaced. Seems like to me there may have been a short circuit causing the PDC to fail?

At close of business today I will be 3 weekends without the new Jeep to use and currently driving a Dodge Minivan :headbang: provided by my dealer.

I understand the supply / demand and chain of distribution for goods globally are really tangled up right now with factories shutting down, but this situation is sour to say the least.
Thanks, JLURD. I wish I had the Jeep in front of me now, I would have checked that before sending it to dealer but it makes me wonder this too now that I have read more research on this.

Today I just got a call from my dealer that the part they need will not be available until AUGUST 3rd!

So, that means I will be more than 3 months without my vehicle. I am sad to say but I am definitely getting legal advice on this matter, unless Jeep or my dealership is able to 1.) do a buyback or 2.) get me in a similar new Jeep.

I sold a fully paid-off Power Wagon and saved a ton to afford this vehicle, and I just can't wrap my head around this situation.

3 months is way too long to be out of a vehicle, especially a new one that is only a few months old with 5,000 miles. I need a 4x4 for work (rural / commercial development & construction) and plus have some cool trips I have been planing for a long time with my crew & family.
Are they still standing firm on the part taking 3 months ? I took my car to my local dealer which I regret because they suck at communication, as of today I am 2 weeks without the rig and they can not tell me when the part would be shipped, I called FCA and they said they have to reach out to the dealer to find out where they are at, in the meantime the dealer is telling me they have to wait until Chrysler can send them the part, yet the rep I spoke to at Chrysler doesnt see any info about my Wrangler when they pull up the vin #, they also want me to use a rental at no more than 35 dollars per day, so they want to hold a Jeep of mine, expect me to make the payment and drive a Ford Focus in the meantime, how thats that make sense to the delaer or Chrysler ??, Did reach out for legal advise? I think I may be heading that route myself

Sponsored

Wicked3.0

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Rubicon
Are they still standing firm on the part taking 3 months ? I took my car to my local dealer which I regret because they suck at communication, as of today I am 2 weeks without the rig and they can not tell me when the part would be shipped, I called FCA and they said they have to reach out to the dealer to find out where they are at, in the meantime the dealer is telling me they have to wait until Chrysler can send them the part, yet the rep I spoke to at Chrysler doesnt see any info about my Wrangler when they pull up the vin #, they also want me to use a rental at no more than 35 dollars per day, so they want to hold a Jeep of mine, expect me to make the payment and drive a Ford Focus in the meantime, how thats that make sense to the delaer or Chrysler ??, Did reach out for legal advise? I think I may be heading that route myself
Sent you a PM. Part (whatever "part" it is - still in the dark exactly what is going on and dealer in not communicating to me at this point) "magically appeared" from FCA Parts liaison and now will be here next week. My Jeep has been at dealer 24 days. Dealer not updating me. Just between me and FCA representative at this point. Will update the excel file once it is all sorted out and I know exactly what is going on. What a shame.

purple haze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Ecodiesel Sport Altitude
Noticed my CEL was on two days ago. It was a steady light not flashing with no noticeable symptoms. Went to Advanced auto parts and used their scan tool, 7 codes were found.
Duplicate codes were found but there were only three different ones. P2200, P2202 and P2209
all related to the NOx sensor. Then I ran across a thread about loose fuses and relays. Checked them and almost all were loose, pressed them down and today no more CEL.

Thanks to all who contribute to the forum.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Noticed my CEL was on two days ago. It was a steady light not flashing with no noticeable symptoms. Went to Advanced auto parts and used their scan tool, 7 codes were found.
Duplicate codes were found but there were only three different ones. P2200, P2202 and P2209
all related to the NOx sensor. Then I ran across a thread about loose fuses and relays. Checked them and almost all were loose, pressed them down and today no more CEL.

Thanks to all who contribute to the forum.
The fact that they let so many of these rigs off the line over such a long period of time with this basic of an issue is truly appalling.

Sponsored

degmd

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR EcoDiesel
I have to add mine to the list...

I have been a German car and motorcycle enthusiast for over 30 years. My last American car was a 1986 Corvette. I ordered my Jeep in January and didn't see it until May....no doubt thanks to supply chain disruptions related to COVID-19. My Jeep is a 2020 red JLUR EcoDiesel (yes, tan leather...) fully loaded including the sky top roof.

The car ran flawlessly (including some time at Hollister Hills SVRA) until at 2800 miles, the CEL came on following several episodes of complete loss of engine power when trying accelerate at stop signs or traffic lights. It seemed that the problem was manifested soon after starting the engine (i.e. cold) and that acceleration and power seemed to normalize once the engine was warmed up.

My car was at the dealership for 4 weeks, initially being told it was a faulty EGR valve based on the codes from the ECU. I was then informed that there was also a leaking EGR coolant system and then a leaking high-pressure injector fuel return line. That little return line had to come from the FCA engine factory in Italy...

I finally picked up the car this past Thursday and drove it back to my office, ~ 25 miles. No problems. When I went to pick up lunch at a local restaurant, the acceleration failure issue happened again. This time, I saw a new indicator light, the ESS fault indicator. When I went home on Friday evening, the CEL came after the engine started sputtering on ignition start. Acceleration from a stop was highly abnormal until the car warmed up, after which engine response and power seemed to normalize.

Here is what I am observing:
  1. It happens when the engine is cold or not fully warmed up
  2. Applying the gas pedal results in complete or near complete lack of response by the engine. It feels like the engine is either not firing at all or firing on only 1 or 2 cylinders. I don’t hear, feel or smell signs of misfiring. When idling, the engine sputters (abnormal timing) until the engine is warm.
  3. From a dead cold start, turning off the ESS switch did not seem to help.
  4. Once the engine warms up, the car responds normally
If the problem occurs when the car is cold, perhaps that implies a mechanical issue somewhere like a stuck valve or a partially clogged or kinked fluid line that clears when it heats up and expands. In my case, maybe the EGR issues were the result of, rather than the cause of, some other problem, like in one of the systems that control combustion. Given that the problem occurred despite replacing the EGR valve and cooling system, it would add strength to that argument. Alternatively, perhaps there is a software bug that is causing the ESS to get confused because of abnormal combustion…

First and foremost, I would like to be able to enjoy my car and have confidence that it is safe to drive and reliable enough to be able to enjoy it for what the car is made for, exploring off-road. Like many folks, I have already invested considerable time and $$ in the car (lights, winch, rails/steps/storage, etc). At this time, I am not confident about taking this car to the mall, never mind up the Rubicon Trail. If this issue drags on, by the time I get the Jeep back, this summer season will be over. If there was ever a summer to go off road and off the grid camping, this was it due to COVID-19.

I was going to bring the car immediately back to the dealer but I decided to hold on to it for a while. I think it might be helpful if I spend time behind the wheel to better understand the range of behaviors with the car cold vs warm, ESS turned off vs left on, etc. Although the service advisor said that the technician took my car out for a spin and found that everything was working well before releasing it, the problem came back after some time on the road.

So far, I have been satisfied with the responsiveness of the dealer and FCA but they are running out of time to get it right before I start thinking about the “L” word…

David

WVB

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys Unlimited 3.0L Diesel HellaYella
I have to add mine to the list...

I have been a German car and motorcycle enthusiast for over 30 years. My last American car was a 1986 Corvette. I ordered my Jeep in January and didn't see it until May....no doubt thanks to supply chain disruptions related to COVID-19. My Jeep is a 2020 red JLUR EcoDiesel (yes, tan leather...) fully loaded including the sky top roof.

The car ran flawlessly (including some time at Hollister Hills SVRA) until at 2800 miles, the CEL came on following several episodes of complete loss of engine power when trying accelerate at stop signs or traffic lights. It seemed that the problem was manifested soon after starting the engine (i.e. cold) and that acceleration and power seemed to normalize once the engine was warmed up.

My car was at the dealership for 4 weeks, initially being told it was a faulty EGR valve based on the codes from the ECU. I was then informed that there was also a leaking EGR coolant system and then a leaking high-pressure injector fuel return line. That little return line had to come from the FCA engine factory in Italy...

I finally picked up the car this past Thursday and drove it back to my office, ~ 25 miles. No problems. When I went to pick up lunch at a local restaurant, the acceleration failure issue happened again. This time, I saw a new indicator light, the ESS fault indicator. When I went home on Friday evening, the CEL came after the engine started sputtering on ignition start. Acceleration from a stop was highly abnormal until the car warmed up, after which engine response and power seemed to normalize.

Here is what I am observing:
  1. It happens when the engine is cold or not fully warmed up
  2. Applying the gas pedal results in complete or near complete lack of response by the engine. It feels like the engine is either not firing at all or firing on only 1 or 2 cylinders. I don’t hear, feel or smell signs of misfiring. When idling, the engine sputters (abnormal timing) until the engine is warm.
  3. From a dead cold start, turning off the ESS switch did not seem to help.
  4. Once the engine warms up, the car responds normally
If the problem occurs when the car is cold, perhaps that implies a mechanical issue somewhere like a stuck valve or a partially clogged or kinked fluid line that clears when it heats up and expands. In my case, maybe the EGR issues were the result of, rather than the cause of, some other problem, like in one of the systems that control combustion. Given that the problem occurred despite replacing the EGR valve and cooling system, it would add strength to that argument. Alternatively, perhaps there is a software bug that is causing the ESS to get confused because of abnormal combustion…

First and foremost, I would like to be able to enjoy my car and have confidence that it is safe to drive and reliable enough to be able to enjoy it for what the car is made for, exploring off-road. Like many folks, I have already invested considerable time and $$ in the car (lights, winch, rails/steps/storage, etc). At this time, I am not confident about taking this car to the mall, never mind up the Rubicon Trail. If this issue drags on, by the time I get the Jeep back, this summer season will be over. If there was ever a summer to go off road and off the grid camping, this was it due to COVID-19.

I was going to bring the car immediately back to the dealer but I decided to hold on to it for a while. I think it might be helpful if I spend time behind the wheel to better understand the range of behaviors with the car cold vs warm, ESS turned off vs left on, etc. Although the service advisor said that the technician took my car out for a spin and found that everything was working well before releasing it, the problem came back after some time on the road.

So far, I have been satisfied with the responsiveness of the dealer and FCA but they are running out of time to get it right before I start thinking about the “L” word…

David
Have you been through the fuse box and seated all of the relays and fuses?
I found over 2/3rd of them not pushed all the way down. No problems in 4,000 miles.

19JTRubiconEcoDiesel

First Name
JoLHY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.8JKUX6MHD, 3.6JLUR6MPT, Deciding/waiting on Sarge JTRD or JTR4xe
Could be related to glow plugs since it seem to normalize upon warm-up. I'd agree with fuse & box inspection.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Ram 1500 is identical powertrain to Jeep JL/JT except it has a better cooling package. Mine went to the shop for two weeks at 5,500 on the odometer. Timing cover was leaking oil. Injector was rusted and seized in the head. They replaced parts and cleaned the engine twice. So far the leak seems to be stopped.

It's under warranty so at least I'm not out of pocket much except gas to drive to the dealership and back a couple times. Could be worse.... we could be that guy who was on his way to the campground with his family when his entire engine blew at 3,100 miles! I think they got him a whole new engine a couple of weeks ago.