Tracking Jeep JLUR Diesel Issues

KandyRedCoi

First Name
Coi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon EcoDiesel
Sorry to hear it man. How many miles at delivery? Make sure to update the spreadsheet.
the jeep had less than 50mi at delivery iirc
took it home and drove it for a couple days
then after that light went on
“electronic throttle control”
and the auto stop start feature was not working
so took it to dealer... they told me it was an egr valve... waited 1 week, got the egr valve installed, light still on. now they are saying it also needs an egr cooler... 1week eta for the part. but was also told there are about 20ram trucks in their lot waiting on the same part and its been 2months ... so far not happy with the entire situation

sad part is, i sold 2 cars to be able to afford this jeep my dream jeep and its been in the shop longer than ive had it home
Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
the jeep had less than 50mi at delivery iirc
took it home and drove it for a couple days
then after that light went on
“electronic throttle control”
and the auto stop start feature was not working
so took it to dealer... they told me it was an egr valve... waited 1 week, got the egr valve installed, light still on. now they are saying it also needs an egr cooler... 1week eta for the part. but was also told there are about 20ram trucks in their lot waiting on the same part and its been 2months ... so far not happy with the entire situation

sad part is, i sold 2 cars to be able to afford this jeep my dream jeep and its been in the shop longer than ive had it home
What a mess. I’m sure the pandemic isn’t making anything arrive quicker either. It bothers me to no end that almost all of the gremlins plaguing modern diesels relate to emissions components. It’s no surprise that the actuaries working for FCA and others exclude DPFs and EGRs from extended warranty offers.

KandyRedCoi

First Name
Coi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What a mess. I’m sure the pandemic isn’t making anything arrive quicker either. It bothers me to no end that almost all of the gremlins plaguing modern diesels relate to emissions components. It’s no surprise that the actuaries working for FCA and others exclude DPFs and EGRs from extended warranty offers.
yep... people that plan to mod their 3.0 will probably wait til the standard warranty runs out then do an emissions delete and be done with it... the ones would screwed are the owners that live in a restrictive state like commiefornia and they have no long term solution to this issue

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yep... people that plan to mod their 3.0 will probably wait til the standard warranty runs out then do an emissions delete and be done with it... the ones would screwed are the owners that live in a restrictive state like commiefornia and they have no long term solution to this issue
Depends how long term we’re talking...at 25 years you could register as an antique and forget all the emissions regs lol.

Wicked3.0

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Rubicon
Hi guys.

I'm new here and appreciate all the info I learn everyday and I am thankful for all the information I learn from reading everyone's posts.

I've had two issues with my 2020 JLU Rubicon Diesel since buying it in January.

1st was a "Service Charging System" error which occurred at 2,500 miles in March. Was in dealer for two days, dealer claims it was a software issue. Reflashed and no issue since.

2nd just occurred on Wednesday of this week. 5,300 Miles. I was driving back home from work and got a CEL. Since it was afterhours, decided to monitor it and would call dealer in the morning. Start my Jeep Thursday morning, CEL still on. Drive to work. Arrive to work. Call dealer. Next available appointment is next Monday morning 5/11/20. I book it. Go out to lunch, start the Jeep and I get first message: "Service DEF System...See Dealer". Call back dealer to let them know what the code is just to update them. Then, drive home Thursday night. This morning (Friday) CEL still on and now I get message: "Service DEF System" & now "Engine Will Not Restart in 195 Miles"

!!!!

I don't know how about the rest of you would feel about this, but this just really screwed up my weekend.

I was planning on wheeling and camping for my birthday with the family and some friends in the mountains, about 225 miles away. Obviously, that isn't happening anymore.

This is very frustrating.

I can think of 101 ways this could be very dangerous and I would hate to make a case for this nonsense.

Let's say I already left for my trip two days earlier and my CEL came on en-route.

I do extensive overlanding, fishing & hunting trips in the Sierras & deserts in CA and many remote places in Mexico on trails were I am off the grid, often times by myself or with just with my 3 & 6 year old kids & wife and many times tens, if not near a hundred miles away from the nearest main road.

Don't tell me I get to my campsite in the future and I get one of these "Vehicle Will Not Restart in XXX miles".

That scares me, and really puts it back on the drawing board if I keep this vehicle.

I can relate to KandyRedCoi. I sold a fully paid-off gasoline Ram Powerwagon (which gave me no issues and had over 80,000 miles) and saved money for years to make up the difference so I could purchase this dream vehicle.

If this is what I have to look forward to owning a modern diesel, I will get out of it quickly while they are still new and "in demand" by the people who want the "newest and best thing out there" car OR I will fully delete all the emissions components as soon as someone can get a professional tune available in order to drive a SAFE vehicle. And yes, I live commiefornia.

What if there is a natural disaster, someone is injured and I am in the middle of nowhere? If I only have this one vehicle and I need to leave quick? Are you really telling me that the vehicle COULD start, but won't because of a faulty sensor in the emissions? Give me a break.

Maybe I should be like Ferris Bueller.. jack the rear axle up and run it in reverse and see if the odometer rolls back to buy me more miles before the engine won't start.....

Z

Jeep 5.9.20.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel
Wicked3.0,

Does the DEF tank gauge still read above empty? I was just curious if a failure of the DEF level sensor would cause that dash message.

Wicked3.0

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Rubicon
Wicked3.0,

Does the DEF tank gauge still read above empty? I was just curious if a failure of the DEF level sensor would cause that dash message.
Hi BuffaloBill,

DEF indicator is reading actual levels. My hunch is it’s a bad NOX sensor. I’ll update all once I get the rig into service dept. on Monday.

Z

4DE2F1B2-3D9B-448C-B5F6-3EBE6E9F2B89.jpeg

KandyRedCoi

First Name
Coi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi guys.

I'm new here and appreciate all the info I learn everyday and I am thankful for all the information I learn from reading everyone's posts.

I've had two issues with my 2020 JLU Rubicon Diesel since buying it in January.

1st was a "Service Charging System" error which occurred at 2,500 miles in March. Was in dealer for two days, dealer claims it was a software issue. Reflased and no issue since.

2nd just occurred on Wednesday of this week. 5,300 Miles. I was driving back home from work and got a CEL. Since it was afterhours, decided to monitor it and would call dealer in the morning. Start my Jeep Thursday morning, CEL still on. Drive to work. Arrive to work. Call dealer. Next available appointment is next Monday morning 5/11/20. I book it. Go out to lunch, start the Jeep and I get first message: "Service DEF System...See Dealer". Call back dealer to let them know what the code is just to update them. Then, drive home Thursday night. This morning (Friday) CEL still on and now I get message: "Service DEF System" & now "Engine Will Not Restart in 195 Miles"

!!!!

I don't know how about the rest of you would feel about this, but this just really screwed up my weekend.

I was planning on wheeling and camping for my birthday with the family and some friends in the mountains, about 225 miles away. Obviously, that isn't happening anymore.

This is very frustrating.

I can think of 101 ways this could be very dangerous and I would hate to make a case for this nonsense.

Let's say I already left for my trip two days earlier and my CEL came on en-route.

I do extensive overlanding, fishing & hunting trips in the Sierras & deserts in CA and many remote places in Mexico on trails were I am off the grid, often times by myself or with just with my 3 & 6 year old kids & wife and many times tens, if not near a hundred miles away from the nearest main road.

Don't tell me I get to my campsite in the future and I get one of these "Vehicle Will Not Restart in XXX miles".

That scares me, and really puts it back on the drawing board if I keep this vehicle.

I can relate to KandyRedCoi. I sold a fully paid-off gasoline Ram Powerwagon (which gave me no issues and had over 80,000 miles) and saved money for years to make up the difference so I could purchase this dream vehicle.

If this is what I have to look forward to owning a modern diesel, I will get out of it quickly while they are still new and "in demand" by the people who want the "newest and best thing out there" car OR I will fully delete all the emissions components as soon as someone can get a professional tune available in order to drive a SAFE vehicle. And yes, I live commiefornia.

What if there is a natural disaster, someone is injured and I am in the middle of nowhere? If I only have this one vehicle and I need to leave quick? Are you really telling me that the vehicle COULD start, but won't because of a faulty sensor in the emissions? Give me a break.

Maybe I should be like Ferris Bueller.. jack the rear axle up and run it in reverse and see if the odometer rolls back to buy me more miles before the engine won't start.....

Z

Jeep 5.9.20.jpg
deng... typically that light is if the def was low, but since the level doesnt show low thst
could be another issue

i too am in commiefornia and im afraid im def going to do a delete when the vehicle goes out of warranty

Wicked3.0

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Rubicon
deng... typically that light is if the def was low, but since the level doesnt show low thst
could be another issue

i too am in commiefornia and im afraid im def going to do a delete when the vehicle goes out of warranty
Yeah I still can’t believe what I’m seeing. I just topped off the DEF to see if that would make any difference. Negative. Now the gauge shows 100% DEF and when I started it up I only have 120 miles left until the engine will not start! By the time I get home from work today, that only leaves me with about 90 miles to play with this weekend

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I still can’t believe what I’m seeing. I just topped off the DEF to see if that would make any difference. Negative. Now the gauge shows 100% DEF and when I started it up I only have 120 miles left until the engine will not start! By the time I get home from work today, that only leaves me with about 90 miles to play with this weekend
I’ve said it before in this forum and it bears repeating...it’s not a matter of if someone ends up suing FCA and/or the EPA for creating systems like this, but when. They’re playing a dangerous game with folks like us who go on overland trips hundreds of miles from service centers. Up here in AK, YT, NT, a couple hundred miles is nothing and they’re not places you want to be stranded for long. We carry survival gear, but if I have to use it because of a piece of dangerous software turning off a perfectly functional Jeep, a civil suit will be at hand. That said, delete is the safest option when the Canadians get enough rigs up there to develop the workarounds.

Sponsored

Megatron JLU

First Name
Anibal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 T Diesel
I remember reading someone saying that their fans were really loud to where they could hear them. Today I had it happen to me, I could hear a loud humming and it turned out to be the fans being on full blast. Engine temperature was normal I'm not sure what's going on. No service engine light.

OP
OP
toolaide4fit

toolaide4fit

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Occupation
IT Manager
sadly my first post
2020 JLUR EcoD
less than 200miles
home for 3-4days
been at dealer for almost 2weeks
went in for EGR/ETC issue
EGR valve replaced CEL still on.
supposedly needs an EGR cooler
Escalated the issue with FCA, filed a claim, have a CASE# waiting for a call back
please add me to the list
if you want to add it to the spreadsheet you have to access the spreadsheet an it will send me a message with your request,

Wicked3.0

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Rubicon
I’ve said it before in this forum and it bears repeating...it’s not a matter of if someone ends up suing FCA and/or the EPA for creating systems like this, but when. They’re playing a dangerous game with folks like us who go on overland trips hundreds of miles from service centers. Up here in AK, YT, NT, a couple hundred miles is nothing and they’re not places you want to be stranded for long. We carry survival gear, but if I have to use it because of a piece of dangerous software turning off a perfectly functional Jeep, a civil suit will be at hand. That said, delete is the safest option when the Canadians get enough rigs up there to develop the workarounds.
100% agree with you JLURD.

diesel_jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4bt Cj
I remember reading someone saying that their fans were really loud to where they could hear them. Today I had it happen to me, I could hear a loud humming and it turned out to be the fans being on full blast. Engine temperature was normal I'm not sure what's going on. No service engine light.
Yea mine has that issue sounds like a jet taking off when the vehicle is stopped... I think it may be related to the AC as the AC on my wrangler is not that strong... I have to leave it in the max position and even then it is barely adequate.

Megatron JLU

First Name
Anibal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 T Diesel
Yea mine has that issue sounds like a jet taking off when the vehicle is stopped... I think it may be related to the AC as the AC on my wrangler is not that strong... I have to leave it in the max position and even then it is barely adequate.
I did have the AC on but I always do and this is the first time it's ever done it.

My AC blows super cold, but when I changed to a bestop sunrider I can tell it gets way hotter inside now. I need to turn it up higher than normal.
Sponsored