Tracking Jeep JLUR Diesel Issues

JLUMich

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU EcoDiesel
Hello Folks, just joined the forum to give my experience so far, I’m at day 6 of ownership and am a little concerned with my purchase.

I ordered in early June and was excited to hear that my build was complete in mid July. Living 45mins from Toledo I kept my fingers crossed for quick delivery, nope. I was told the Jeep was awaiting final inspection. Eventually arrived Aug 11th, purchased 13th. It had 30 miles on the odometer when it arrived to the dealer. The salesman had on a different occasion told me that many of the ecoDs get sent to a third party in Toledo for testing, not sure if mine was one of those or not.

I did a typical drive around the block before signing the paperwork. The next day I took it out on the highway and things got interesting, it was alarming how much constant steering input was needed to keep it in the lane. It handled worse than my 96 GC lifted with no swaybar !!
I had rented a JL several times over the past few years and never experienced anything like this in those JLs.

Its headed back to the dealer in a few days, hopefully this steering problem doesn't turn into a nightmare.

Thanks for all of your posts about ecoD
Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Hello Folks, just joined the forum to give my experience so far, I’m at day 6 of ownership and am a little concerned with my purchase.

I ordered in early June and was excited to hear that my build was complete in mid July. Living 45mins from Toledo I kept my fingers crossed for quick delivery, nope. I was told the Jeep was awaiting final inspection. Eventually arrived Aug 11th, purchased 13th. It had 30 miles on the odometer when it arrived to the dealer. The salesman had on a different occasion told me that many of the ecoDs get sent to a third party in Toledo for testing, not sure if mine was one of those or not.

I did a typical drive around the block before signing the paperwork. The next day I took it out on the highway and things got interesting, it was alarming how much constant steering input was needed to keep it in the lane. It handled worse than my 96 GC lifted with no swaybar !!
I had rented a JL several times over the past few years and never experienced anything like this in those JLs.

Its headed back to the dealer in a few days, hopefully this steering problem doesn't turn into a nightmare.

Thanks for all of your posts about ecoD
The steering issues are hit or miss and well known. Look around on the board. There is finally a TSB to replace the steering box which is the good news for those with the issue but the bad news is most people are being told mid-September before the part arrives.

Welcome to the board.
Just keep grinning at the clatter and torque.

Oh yeah, the TSB is pretty new so print a copy and give it the dealer when you complain.

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t have a diesel, but this is the most interesting thread on the forum. Really wanted a diesel but these posts will keep me up tonight. Scary.

diesel_jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4bt Cj
Lots more have problems than those whom have posted. Jeep is not interested in fixing the issues but more interested in telling people to work with dealers when there are no solutions.

JLUMich

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU EcoDiesel
The steering issues are hit or miss and well known. Look around on the board. There is finally a TSB to replace the steering box which is the good news for those with the issue but the bad news is most people are being told mid-September before the part arrives.

Welcome to the board.

Oh yeah, the TSB is pretty new so print a copy and give it the dealer when you complain.
Thanks for that information, I did mention the TSB to the service writer and he responded that he was familiar, so fingers crossed. So far this dealer seems keen on customer service.
There is a small tool mark (paint scratched off) on the passenger side outer cowl cover. Instead of being offered touch up paint they said they would take it to a body shop to have it painted. It may as well be perfect at least once before it gets muddy.

Reactions: GtX

Sponsored

degmd

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR EcoDiesel
Have you been through the fuse box and seated all of the relays and fuses?
I found over 2/3rd of them not pushed all the way down. No problems in 4,000 miles.
Thanks for the suggestion. I read about poorly seated fuses on other posts, went to my car and lo and behold many of them did not seem to be properly seated. I did verify they were not blown, fully seated all of them but alas, my problem persisted.

I will be bringing the Jeep into the dealer later this week and should have an update on what the download from the ECU shows.

oalvarez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JULRDiesel. Porsche Cayenne, Porsche Macan, Porsche 993
^ I found at least a few that were poorly seated.....something every diesel owner should go out and check for.

imjester77

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Eco Diesel; 2014 JKU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I had already posted on the Forum but not in this thread. My DEF Pump is out and I have just over 5400 miles on my JLUR/D. It is on back order for 2 months (so they say). I am in a loaner until then. No problems ever until just now. I love my E/D (Not Erectile Dis-function) and would not trade it for anything! Maybe a Gladiator Rubicon E/D?? But, I guess this was bound to be an issue going into a first production year vehicle!

JLUMich

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU EcoDiesel

Welcome to the board.

*also posted in the steering issues thread

*Update - Jeep was dropped off this morning for the steering issue, service writer called and said it would be fixed under the TSB. The parts are on the way and should be fixed by tomorrow!
I was sure it wouldn’t be this easy?
Fingers crossed this fixes the steering issues.

imjester77

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

*Update - Jeep was dropped off this morning for the steering issue, service writer called and said it would be fixed under the TSB. The parts are on the way and should be fixed by tomorrow!
Good Luck...Love the color too!
Jeep Wrangler JL Tracking Jeep JLUR Diesel Issues CA3562E1-5025-4490-B818-F89AE147A3D0

Sponsored

degmd

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR EcoDiesel
I had already posted on the Forum but not in this thread. My DEF Pump is out and I have just over 5400 miles on my JLUR/D. It is on back order for 2 months (so they say). I am in a loaner until then. No problems ever until just now. I love my E/D (Not Erectile Dis-function) and would not trade it for anything! Maybe a Gladiator Rubicon E/D?? But, I guess this was bound to be an issue going into a first production year vehicle!
Thanks for posting here. I had a similar long lead time quoted for a part. Many parts for the JL diesel are not yet available in the Mopar parts catalog and may not be for months. However, they may be able to source the part from the FCA engine factory in Italy. Takes about 7-10 days. I would make noise that a 2-month lead time is not acceptable and that the part may available sooner if they reach out to FCA. You may need to open a case as well.

imjester77

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for posting here. I had a similar long lead time quoted for a part. Many parts for the JL diesel are not yet available in the Mopar parts catalog and may not be for months. However, they may be able to source the part from the FCA engine factory in Italy. Takes about 7-10 days. I would make noise that a 2-month lead time is not acceptable and that the part may available sooner if they reach out to FCA. You may need to open a case as well.
Thanks for the advise. I took you up on it and called the Customer service department at Chrysler. They opened a case and stated that they will call me in a couple days to let me know the status of my back-ordered part. The person I talked to stated that they should be able to expedite one from the assembly plant as long as they have one available. I guess I will see!

JLUMich

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU EcoDiesel

OK - this Steering TSB took the dealer a little longer than expected, but after dropping the Jeep off last week it’s finally back. Drives straight and feels solid.
Next up rust proofing the underside and ceramic coating the top side.
I’m going to stop by the clear bra shop to do get an idea on how much $$ it is to do maybe the front grill and fenders

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
OK - this Steering TSB took the dealer a little longer than expected, but after dropping the Jeep off last week it’s finally back. Drives straight and feels solid.
Next up rust proofing the underside and ceramic coating the top side.
I’m going to stop by the clear bra shop to do get an idea on how much $$ it is to do maybe the front grill and fenders
$1200 is a good price for that. I will say that clear bra won’t protect the flat grill Very well. I had the best expel installed on my model Y and a rock punched a hole in the front bumper 4 days later. For my gladiator I’m gonna buy the cheap satin black grill after taking delivery and touch it up as needed and keep the stock Painted one for resale

JLUMich

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU EcoDiesel
$1200 is a good price for that. I will say that clear bra won’t protect the flat grill Very well. I had the best expel installed on my model Y and a rock punched a hole in the front bumper 4 days later. For my gladiator I’m gonna buy the cheap satin black grill after taking delivery and touch it up as needed and keep the stock Painted one for resale
Good Idea
Sponsored