Sponsored

Trackbar vs LCA for better steering

blkhawk_jl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Trying to decide between upgrading my trackbar or LCA's on my 19' Sahara. I just ordered the synergy sector shaft brace and want to improve the steering a bit more to remove as much play as I can. I keep hearing different opinions on which of the two will actually provide more stability when driving at highway speeds or around town.
Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
IMO the talk of the factory track bar flexing is myth.

More caster will improve how the vehicle tracks, it's simply a fact

OP
OP

blkhawk_jl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
That's still only part of the equation.
Considering this as a first step. Eventually the entire steering setup is going to be swapped out. For the short term I want to find the best solution to help get everything tracked straight before the summer.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Why not do both the LCA's and track bar? Since you're already installing the Synergy sector shaft brace, you'll already have the track bar 50% removed. All you'll have to do is remove the axle end bolt, adjust the new track bar to what the manufacturer suggests for your amount of lift, and reinstall.

Since you have a 2.5" lift and have not added LCA's yet, you will notice an improvement with the better caster angle longer LCA's will give you. My opinion is you will also notice an improvement with an aftermarket track bar. For one, you will now be able to center your axle. Number two, look for a track bar with bushings better than factory (those are clevite bushings). I think the RK joints are good and I also like the Currie Johnny Joints. Number three, most aftermarket trackbars are stronger than the stock one, which will help to reduce/eliminate unwanted lateral forces.

Sponsored

Frezski

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2013 F250, 2016 Accord, 2016 Yami R1M
Occupation
Slave to the Trade
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not lifted yet, but that's kind of what I plan to do this weekend. Synergy is local to me so I picked up the brace and the track bar two days ago. Not that I needed the track bar as of yet, but mainly for the idea that I was going to need to unbolt the frame side of the bar anyways, so might as well change it to progress my build and one less thing I will need to purchase once I pull the trigger on a lift. If i was in your shoes, I would check the castor and pursue the LCA's first if it wonders that bad.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Trying to decide between upgrading my trackbar or LCA's on my 19' Sahara. I just ordered the synergy sector shaft brace and want to improve the steering a bit more to remove as much play as I can. I keep hearing different opinions on which of the two will actually provide more stability when driving at highway speeds or around town.
As cheap and lightweight as the factory track bar is, unless the bushings are worn or bad letting any kind of lateral movement then you probably won’t notice the difference from it as compared to lcas. However... since you’re lifted 2.5” that means your front axle is off center a 1/2 inch ish.... that won’t hurt anything but, having it off center drives me crazy, lol....if at all possible do both, it will make everything else work better when you’re all squared up and have increased caster, especially lifted with larger tires.
Sponsored