Trackbar reinforcement rubbing on coil?

stino

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
I have the Rusty's Trackbar Reinforcement, Clayton control arms adjusted to their specs, Synergy coils 3"

Noticing some marks on my drivers side coil, and I'm wondering if its the trackbar reinforcement coming into contact with it at extreme articulation. There seems like theres a lot of clearance but I dunno what happens when things start misaligning more.
Is this common? I know Clayton has you extend your LCAs where MC (for example) doesnt.

Curious if anyone has had the same problem.
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Rusty's Trackbar Reinforcement, Clayton control arms adjusted to their specs, Synergy coils 3"

Noticing some marks on my drivers side coil, and I'm wondering if its the trackbar reinforcement coming into contact with it at extreme articulation. There seems like theres a lot of clearance but I dunno what happens when things start misaligning more.
Is this common? I know Clayton has you extend your LCAs where MC (for example) doesnt.

Curious if anyone has had the same problem.
Pics ?

Sydwaiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 73 CJ-5
Following. I purchased the Rusty's reinforcement and I'm waiting on my Clayton kit to arrive. I'll be using Clayton's diesel springs however. Where on the Rusty's part is it rubbing? I'll just clear it with a grinder if I have to.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I’m with you. Seeing definitely helps. My first thought was factory spring pads collapsing
Yeah... I always like seeing things, makes it easier for me figure stuff out, lol.

Sponsored

OP
OP
stino

stino

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Hard to get a great shot of it. Especially the backside of the bracket. I'll crawl under there this weekend and see if I can see anything else. It did look like the closest corner of the bracket had a "clean" spot missing dirt at the very corner - but hard to tell.
Jeep Wrangler JL Trackbar reinforcement rubbing on coil? example

My first thought was factory spring pads collapsing
You actually don't use any spring pads with the synergy coils, they are ground flat at the bottom.

It could be that maybe I did a poor job setting my control arm lengths but it doesn't seem like they are overly long based on the thread showing on the adjustment end. Wondering if maybe I need move the axle back a bit, grind the bracket down or if theres something else going on. I'm surprised no one else has run into this though if its not something I did wrong.

I live in an apartment so its a mission to cycle my suspension well enough to make contact.

Any thoughts?

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hard to get a great shot of it. Especially the backside of the bracket. I'll crawl under there this weekend and see if I can see anything else. It did look like the closest corner of the bracket had a "clean" spot missing dirt at the very corner - but hard to tell.
Jeep Wrangler JL Trackbar reinforcement rubbing on coil? example

You actually don't use any spring pads with the synergy coils, they are ground flat at the bottom.

It could be that maybe I did a poor job setting my control arm lengths but it doesn't seem like they are overly long based on the thread showing on the adjustment end. Wondering if maybe I need move the axle back a bit, grind the bracket down or if theres something else going on. I'm surprised no one else has run into this though if its not something I did wrong.

I live in an apartment so its a mission to cycle my suspension well enough to make contact.

Any thoughts?
It looks like it could be your pinion angle from what I see in pic, it could just be the angle of pic but it looks like it’s pointing up. I’d like to see pic of pinion, and what’s your caster set at ? I have the synergy brace and it does get close, but doesn’t hit. The rustys looks like it sticks out a little more towards the spring.
Jeep Wrangler JL Trackbar reinforcement rubbing on coil? DE18C885-9A7B-45E7-B8E9-7A0B5665B87A

OP
OP
stino

stino

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
It looks like it could be your pinion angle from what I see in pic, it could just be the angle of pic but it looks like it’s pointing up. I’d like to see pic of pinion, and what’s your caster set at ? I have the synergy brace and it does get close, but doesn’t hit. The rustys looks like it sticks out a little more towards the spring.
I think it's just the angle of the photo, it was pretty dead on 0deg at the pumpkin when I installed the the control arms. I believe thats 6deg of caster right? I'll grab a photo of the pinion and measure again next time I'm in the garage. Drives and tracks great, as well as it did with the control arm relocation bracket I was using before - so I'd be surprised if it were that far out of wack.

Looks like it does get pretty close in your photo, do you happen to remember your CA lengths? I could see how a slightly forward axle + bigger bracket + maybe synergy's thicker coils (or something) could result in rubbing.

Appreciate the replies!

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I think it's just the angle of the photo, it was pretty dead on 0deg at the pumpkin when I installed the the control arms. I believe thats 6deg of caster right? I'll grab a photo of the pinion and measure again next time I'm in the garage. Drives and tracks great, as well as it did with the control arm relocation bracket I was using before - so I'd be surprised if it were that far out of wack.

Looks like it does get pretty close in your photo, do you have any caster correction, do you happen to remember your CA lengths? I could see how a slightly forward axle + bigger bracket + maybe synergy's thicker coils (or something) could result in rubbing.

Appreciate the replies!
Yeah, I’m at 6.4 caster. My lowers are at 24-1/2” and uppers are 20”. My guess is same as you said, probably combo of several things. If your at 6 degrees, that’s good, the whole axle just may be to far forward slightly. IDK. Maybe a side shot of Jeep to see front wheel orientation.

Sponsored

OP
OP
stino

stino

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Yeah, I’m at 6.4 caster. My lowers are at 24-1/2” and uppers are 20”. My guess is same as you said, probably combo of several things. If your at 6 degrees, that’s good, the whole axle just may be to far forward slightly. IDK. Maybe a side shot of Jeep to see front wheel orientation.
Should be pretty close, I used these measurements but I used the half a turn (or whatever) between the 2.5 and 3.5 since I'm at 3" That 1/4"+ on the uppers probably makes a difference though.
Jeep Wrangler JL Trackbar reinforcement rubbing on coil? 1618452223252

I don't have a dead on side profile shot, but it looks pretty well centered to me in person:
Jeep Wrangler JL Trackbar reinforcement rubbing on coil? 1618452489850

If you zoom in you can kinda see I have like 1/2" of so of threads showing

/shrug. Hoping theres some weld protruding on the bracket that I can grind down or something rather than breaking those jamnuts haha

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Should be pretty close, I used these measurements and but I used the half a turn (or whatever) between the 2.5 and 3.5 since I'm at 3"

I don't have a dead on side profile shot, but it looks pretty well centered to me in person:

If you zoom in you can kinda see I have like 1/2" of so of threads showing

/shrug. Hoping theres some weld protruding on the bracket that I can grind down or something rather than breaking those jamnuts haha
Looks good, I’m with you, I’d much rather grind. I just put new krawler joints on , 250 ft lbs torque kicked my old ass, lol.

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
Looks like it could be hitting, but seems like nothing to worry about. My brace shows up tomorrow, but waiting on my PSC bolts to show up.

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
You seen this before @Clayton Off Road?
We have never seen this before, but it seems like it's most likely just because of how far down that bracket comes. You can bring the axle in a little bit more and see if that helps.
Sponsored