Track bar sheared off at the weld. I feel like I’m cursed with my new JL

Hootbro

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2022 JT RUBICON
FWIW, a few years back, RAM 2500's had a similar suspension issue of track bar frame brackets cracking and breaking. Fix was they had a special team sent from the factory with specialized tooling and jig setups to redo it. I suspect the same may happen if this turns out to be a larger problem.

https://www.chrysler.com/universal/webselfservice/pdf/R46.pdf

Sponsored

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
@JeepCares this is probably the highest priority issue any JL owner is having here, if you could get it passed on to the appropriate high-ups in some way.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I got up under mine and the welds on that bracket don't look healthy but mine is holding just fine so far. I'm not a welder, but my father is and he's a 40+ year master mechanic so I'm pretty good at spotting when things are assembled properly from all I've seen in my lifetime. It'll be really interesting to see how FCA handles the OP's issue. I hope he continues to update this thread. It'll also be interesting to see if any other owners experience this issue. If something like this becomes even remotely common it's the type of thing that could do major damage to the reputation of the brand, and I would expect FCA to handle it swiftly and thoroughly to protect themselves.

BGJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150, 2020 JLUR
Well my JL is back in the service department. This time it’s not good. Rewind to Friday night. Driving down the highway. Everything is great. I go to switch lanes, turn the wheel and to my surprise realize I’ve lost all steering control in the steering wheel. My vehicle starts to track on its own and I almost kill two other people on the road before I’m able to pull over on the shoulder. (Good thing I was in the middle lane...) I get a warning lamp of ESC (electronic stability control) malfunction.

Call Jeep assist. Tow truck comes. Dealer calls me next day to tell me my track bar has been sheared off At the weld. (Says it looks like a horrible manufacturer defect).

2018 RUBICON UNLIMITED
700 miles, brand new. WTF. Good thing I haven’t gone off-road yet.

Dealer calls me today and is still awaiting Chrysler’s opinion on the matter. @JeepCares
Glad you are ok. What a scary ordeal. What was the build date on yours?

OP
OP
rboss

rboss

First Name
ROSS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 WRANGLER RUBICON UNLIMITED
@rboss , get on the NTSB website for recalls, and report this immediately. This is definately a major safety issue. Get it reported will force a investigation. So many get reported, and then FCA has no choice, the NTSB will force a recall.
If your so afraid to drive your JEEP, I would consider a lawyer. FCA along with every major manufacturer will do anything to keep this quiet if it is a serious issue. Only way to force them to fix it, is make lots of noise.
Yup submitted the safety complaint this morning. They can’t keep these kind of issues quiet.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rboss

rboss

First Name
ROSS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 WRANGLER RUBICON UNLIMITED
I got up under mine and the welds on that bracket don't look healthy but mine is holding just fine so far. I'm not a welder, but my father is and he's a 40+ year master mechanic so I'm pretty good at spotting when things are assembled properly from all I've seen in my lifetime. It'll be really interesting to see how FCA handles the OP's issue. I hope he continues to update this thread. It'll also be interesting to see if any other owners experience this issue. If something like this becomes even remotely common it's the type of thing that could do major damage to the reputation of the brand, and I would expect FCA to handle it swiftly and thoroughly to protect themselves.
I will continue to update! I feel like this might be a long road....that I wish I could be in my Jeep for.........

Pipebndr

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1943 Ford GPW 2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired Automotive business owner, ASE Master Tech
Yup submitted the safety complaint this morning. They can’t keep these kind of issues quiet.
I see the reference is to the NTSB, that Gov agency is mainly for large municipal transportation issues. You need to report this to https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/ which is the National Highway Transportation Safety Board. The link above will take you directly to the reporting page. This is a serious problem, in my opinion that is a cold weld with no penetration. I am glad nobody was injured or killed but with a track bar broken Away from the frame you basically have lost all steering. This is not good. Making me dought if I should continue with my order. In my opinion it looks like a beginner weld to me.

Last edited:

RockinMarine

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL, Firecracker Red
Occupation
Retired Marine/ Techician for Disney
@rboss , just curious. Is this Jeep still stock ? Or did you add a lift kit ? There is another thread about steering locking up. Thiers started when it was stock, but appearantly Jeep cannot duplicate.
I just went out and looked at my Jeep, and how the welds look. Im pretty worried after what I saw. Slag all around, and starting to see areas of corrosion around the welds.
@JeepCares , what is FCA doing to inspect these welds ?? Are dealerships being informed what to look for ?

NCSUSTATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLUR
I see the reference is to the NTSB, that Gov agency is mainly for large municipal transportation issues. You need to report this to https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/ which is the NAtional Highway Transportation Safety Board. The link above will take you directly to the reporting page. This is a serious problem, in my opinion that is a cold weld with no penetration. I am glad nobody was injured or killed but with a track bar broken you basically have lost all steering. This is not good. Making me dought if I should continue with my order. In my opinion it looks like a beginner weld to me.
Agreed @JeepCares

Sponsored

Pipebndr

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1943 Ford GPW 2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired Automotive business owner, ASE Master Tech
You are correct. The weld around that track bar appears to have not penetrated into the bracket. Another thing I noticed is it appears to me that the frame was painted before the track bar bracket was welded on, as I think I see paint under where the bracket mounted. I have seen welding through paint cause pin holes in welds. http://www.hobartwelders.com/elearning/#mig

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
None of the welds lay flat like that on my JLU Sport. They are all globbed up, some miss the seams it's supposed to weld entirely.

EEBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
From my perspective looking at those pictures the whole side of the bracket (side closest to the spring) was NEVER welded (Picture #1 & #2) That would create a point-stress concentration on the perpendicular two welds on the "surface closest" to the viewer. Result would be a progessive failure/rip similar to a "zipper".along those welds.

tcadaniel

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi
From my perspective looking at those pictures the whole side of the bracket (side closest to the spring) was NEVER welded (Picture #1 & #2) That would create a point-stress concentration on the perpendicular two welds on the "surface closest" to the viewer. Result would be a progessive failure/rip similar to a "zipper".along those welds.
I checked mine and the weld is only on one side also.
Sponsored