Sponsored

Track bar sheared off at the weld. I feel like I’m cursed with my new JL

crik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Renegade; 2018 JLUS
There is a procedure for reviewing welds for quality and to have the bad welds automatically reject. It should not be that hard to determine.
How do you think this one got through, then? As a JL owner I'm just asking.
Sponsored

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
I've heard that welds are why some jeeps are not getting shipped on some other threads but it seemed like hearsay. Wonder if this was pervasive and they're re-QCing everything.

I sincerely hope so.

I'm not so impatient that I want a rushed build that will leave me dead because of a failure like this. O M G

OP
OP
rboss

rboss

First Name
ROSS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 WRANGLER RUBICON UNLIMITED
I have no idea how they will fix this. Re-welding? Maybe.. Whatever the fix is, it’s going to take a lot for me to feel comfortable in this vehicle again. Chrysler is still silent about it...but will let everyone know outcome when I actually get an update.

Sponsored

tcadaniel

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi
I have no idea how they will fix this. Re-welding? Maybe.. Whatever the fix is, it’s going to take a lot for me to feel comfortable in this vehicle again. Chrysler is still silent about it...but will let everyone know outcome when I actually get an update.
This just in...... Jeep can’t reproduce the problem.......Just kidding, too soon?

Hang in there. There’s a reason Wranglers have amazing resale. They’ll sort it out.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
New cars having loss of steering or loss of brakes issues can do massive damage to an automaker, financially and reputation wise. If they don't fix any systematic issue these may have, it'll be a painful year for them.

And they better compensate you properly. They treat regular owners with moderate problems poorly enough, and this is much more than a moderate problem.

OP
OP
rboss

rboss

First Name
ROSS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 WRANGLER RUBICON UNLIMITED
This just in...... Jeep can’t reproduce the problem.......Just kidding, too soon?

Hang in there. There’s a reason Wranglers have amazing resale. They’ll sort it out.
Hahahaha actually needed that laugh. Thanks. And yea I’m sure they will figure it out.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.

That reason is demand, not reliability or build quality!

Sponsored

RockinMarine

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL, Firecracker Red
Occupation
Retired Marine/ Techician for Disney
@rboss , get on the NTSB website for recalls, and report this immediately. This is definately a major safety issue. Get it reported will force a investigation. So many get reported, and then FCA has no choice, the NTSB will force a recall.
If your so afraid to drive your JEEP, I would consider a lawyer. FCA along with every major manufacturer will do anything to keep this quiet if it is a serious issue. Only way to force them to fix it, is make lots of noise.

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
Glad you are ok. That must have been terrifying.

FCA consistently ranks lowest on quality and reliability surveys. I guess nothing has changed...

nascosta

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus
Maybe they should offer an upgraded weld option as part of the safety package. I’d be pissed if this was my car and insist on a replacement.