Track bar sheared off at the weld. I feel like I’m cursed with my new JL

rboss

First Name
ROSS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 WRANGLER RUBICON UNLIMITED
Well my JL is back in the service department. This time it’s not good. Rewind to Friday night. Driving down the highway. Everything is great. I go to switch lanes, turn the wheel and to my surprise realize I’ve lost all steering control in the steering wheel. My vehicle starts to track on its own and I almost kill two other people on the road before I’m able to pull over on the shoulder. (Good thing I was in the middle lane...) I get a warning lamp of ESC (electronic stability control) malfunction.

Call Jeep assist. Tow truck comes. Dealer calls me next day to tell me my track bar has been sheared off At the weld. (Says it looks like a horrible manufacturer defect).

2018 RUBICON UNLIMITED
700 miles, brand new. WTF. Good thing I haven’t gone off-road yet.

Dealer calls me today and is still awaiting Chrysler’s opinion on the matter. @JeepCares

Update: Thanks everyone. Still in disbelief with the situation. Dealer just sent some pics over.

3729EB33-B59E-4A8E-A565-EDF60F36C16B.jpeg
C9C27D72-E51E-4DB9-8763-582A69658427.jpeg
9CD73C13-78C6-44BB-9663-582175AEAB88.jpeg
F7033CCD-E6FF-4B3C-8AB2-8891EEAD10DA.jpeg
Sponsored

JLU_rubi18!

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep SRT Red Vapor, 2015 Jeep GC High Altitude Hemi 4x4
Well my JL is back in the service department. This time it’s not good. Rewind to Friday night. Driving down the highway. Everything is great. I go to switch lanes, turn the wheel and to my surprise realize I’ve lost all steering control in the steering wheel. My vehicle starts to track on its own and I almost kill two other people on the road before I’m able to pull over on the shoulder. (Good thing I was in the middle lane...) I get a warning lamp of ESC (electronic stability control) malfunction.

Call Jeep assist. Tow truck comes. Dealer calls me next day to tell me my track bar has been sheared off At the weld. (Says it looks like a horrible manufacturer defect).

2018 RUBICON UNLIMITED
700 miles, brand new. WTF. Good thing I haven’t gone off-road yet.

Dealer calls me today and is still awaiting Chrysler’s opinion on the matter. @JeepCares
Frame side or axle side? at the weld I'm assuming that means near the joint end?

OP
OP
rboss

rboss

First Name
ROSS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 WRANGLER RUBICON UNLIMITED
Frame side or axle side? at the weld I'm assuming that means near the joint end?
Sounds like frame side. He is sending me a pic shortly and will share once I get it.

Sponsored

JL Rubi Khan

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL, 2015 Ford Mustang GT Limited Edition (#1525 of 1964), 2016 Harley-Davidson Sportster 1200 Custom
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely watching this post now, man... sorry to hear this happened to you @rboss but glad you're okay. Very scary.

StrikeZ

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Makes me want to wait prior to modding/lifting.

bam1111

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
:whew:
I hope FCA takes some of our concerns regarding the welds a little more serious now.

Last edited:

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Front or rear track bar? I haven't even crawled under mine yet. But I'll check mine to see what it looks like.

Sponsored

ALEX-4LO

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2020 JLUR - Project JL's
Wow. There has been a couple others complaining about about how they loose control of the steering. Very dangerous. Keep us updated. Glad you are ok.

will1111

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Glad youre ok!. Another member posted how the welds on his frame had holes (I dont know the name they used) and an actual welder told him those were really bad and can crack under stress. Everyone should have a look.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Holy cow that's crazy! That looks like a massive recall just waiting to happen!

I wonder if they'd give a guy grief over this failure if you had oversized tires on the Jeep when you took it into the dealer?

tcadaniel

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi
How do they fix something like this? Can it just be welded back on?
Sponsored