plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase

What is the orange paste that he is applying to the steering brace bolts at 4:38?
Paint marker, aka paint pen, they just marked the locations of bolts relative to the frame, so if your bolts loose/rotate because of vibration, you can visually see it instead of relying on wrenches.
Sponsored

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

What is the orange paste that he is applying to the steering brace bolts at 4:38?
Like Plex said. The version they use will show show if the paint is cracked so maybe there is movement but the bolt hasn't loosened if I understand correctly. I've been using an oil based paint sharpie so I can at least visually tell if anything has loosened after I have torqued and re-torqued and triple-torqued while I try to find the cause of my wobble/shutter after bumps.

Brian0128

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 Toyota TRD PRO
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Paint marker, aka paint pen, they just marked the locations of bolts relative to the frame, so if your bolts loose/rotate because of vibration, you can visually see it instead of relying on wrenches.
Thanks. I did a google search and it looks like its a prodocut from Dykem called Cross Check Torque Seal.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Like Plex said. The version they use will show show if the paint is cracked so maybe there is movement but the bolt hasn't loosened if I understand correctly. I've been using an oil based paint sharpie so I can at least visually tell if anything has loosened after I have torqued and re-torqued and triple-torqued while I try to find the cause of my wobble/shutter after bumps.
Only triple torque? Such a rookie, we usually torqued until our torque wrench went AWOL.

J/K, but paint pen helps especially with loctited bolts, because when you use torque wrench to check torque, it risks breaking loose the loctite. It is a great tool that before evey offroad trip, we can just do a quick scan to know all bolts are in its rightful place.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I installed the brace and trackbar together, so it's hard to say which thing did what, but my steering is greatly improved.

I can feel the road more in front, and the front shudder when hitting bumps is gone. Wander is reduced, I didn't really have play. I still feel the rear end shudder and "follow" me, so there is probably a rear trackbar in my future....
I've been thinking about an aftermarket rear trackbar as well.

I have a yeti front bar and the Synergy sector brace. The yeti trackbar was a huge improvement, taking my huge amount of "play" down to about an inch or less. I didn't notice any difference with the brace addition. I still had a little wobble (you describe as shudder) at hwy speeds after hitting some bumps. I finally jumped in an checked the rotational play in the sector shaft/pitman arm. I had maybe 1/16-3/32" of play, so I decided to adjust the steering box. I adjusted it and there was a good improvement. It's not as good as my rack and pinion in my 4x4 Sierra, but it's liveable and safe now.

But I still feel like the back end jumps around. Anyone with a rear aftermarket trackbar see improvement in the rear tracking?

Sponsored

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Moijto 2005 TJ AEV Hemi
Yes you want both track bar and brace on the rear end. You can feel the improvement . Frame side style brace.

Last edited:

jhernandez

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JEEP WRANGLER SPORTS UNLIMITED 3.6 4 DOORS JL
Just bought this today...will see if it truly gets rid of excessive steering box wear, play.

If this doesn't work, then I know without a doubt its the steering box that is the issue. I'll keep you all posted.

Found new problem with this synergy trackbar and sector shaft brace, when turning wheels to left and slightly reverse there is a clicking sounds also when running around 55 miles steering start to vibrate what is causing this issue? Check everything is tight and torque specs right and still a problem please help thanks.

jhernandez

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes you want both track bar and brace on the rear end. You can feel the improvement . Frame side style brace.

Found new problem with this synergy trackbar and sector shaft brace, when turning wheels to left and slightly reverse there is a clicking sounds also when running around 55 miles steering start to vibrate what is causing this issue? Check everything is tight and torque specs right and still a problem please help thanks.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I recently removed the sector shaft pillow block to check if the grease hole was aligned with the zerk. I found that the bronze bushing was loose in the aluminum pillow block. After some thought, I just left the pillow block sector shaft support off. The trackbar support is still there. It made no difference when I installed it with the sector shaft support nor when I removed it.

If your steering wheel "vibrates" at that speed, the wheels are "wobbling". Do you have steering wheel play at highway speeds? If so, the steering box may be loose and need adjustment. That's what solved mine, anyway.

Sponsored

jhernandez

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I recently removed the sector shaft pillow block to check if the grease hole was aligned with the zerk. I found that the bronze bushing was loose in the aluminum pillow block. After some thought, I just left the pillow block sector shaft support off. The trackbar support is still there. It made no difference when I installed it with the sector shaft support nor when I removed it.

If your steering wheel "vibrates" at that speed, the wheels are "wobbling". Do you have steering wheel play at highway speeds? If so, the steering box may be loose and need adjustment. That's what solved mine, anyway.
HOW DO I JUST MY STEERING GEAR BOX IN MY 2019 JEEP WRANGLER SPORT JL 4 DOORS V6? CAN I DO THIS MY SELF IS IT EASY IS THERE A VIDEO HOW TO DO THIS PROCESS SO I CAN LEARN, NEED TO FIX THIS ISSUE ASAP PLEASE HELP THANKS.

:jk::flag::like:

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
HOW DO I JUST MY STEERING GEAR BOX IN MY 2019 JEEP WRANGLER SPORT JL 4 DOORS V6? CAN I DO THIS MY SELF IS IT EASY IS THERE A VIDEO HOW TO DO THIS PROCESS SO I CAN LEARN, NEED TO FIX THIS ISSUE ASAP PLEASE HELP THANKS.

:jk::flag::like:
ALL CAPS is yelling. Just FYI.

This link shows how to tighten the box. Do at your own risk.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I found that the allen wrench size for the set screw was indeed metric. I can't recall for sure, but 4.5 mm sounds about right.

Also, I jacked my front end and removed the right wheel, and disconnected the draglink from the steering knuckle, then supported it with that bucket in this picture. That way, I could feel the steering without the drag of the steering damper. You are looking for any binding/crunchy feeling from the gears being too tight. If you do this, you can get it more precisely tight, without the risk of binding and not feeling it due to the damper drag and tires scrubbing, etc..

You should use a fine tipped felt marker (Sharpie etc) to mark where the center screw is before you start.

I've been able to get mine down to about 1/4-3/8" of play while not getting any binding with this method. My wife started driving it again. In fact she just took it to go to the park to walk the dog.

Jeep Wrangler JL track bar/ sector shaft brace 20200627_095328

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
I found that the allen wrench size for the set screw was indeed metric. I can't recall for sure, but 4.5 mm sounds about right.

Also, I jacked my front end and removed the right wheel, and disconnected the draglink from the steering knuckle, then supported it with that bucket in this picture. That way, I could feel the steering without the drag of the steering damper. You are looking for any binding/crunchy feeling from the gears being too tight. If you do this, you can get it more precisely tight, without the risk of binding and not feeling it due to the damper drag and tires scrubbing, etc..

You should use a fine tipped felt marker (Sharpie etc) to mark where the center screw is before you start.

I've been able to get mine down to about 1/4-3/8" of play while not getting any binding with this method. My wife started driving it again. In fact she just took it to go to the park to walk the dog.

Jeep Wrangler JL track bar/ sector shaft brace 20200627_095328
Does the draglink disconnect pretty easy or do you risk boot damage with a pickle fork to get it apart?
Sponsored