limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
yep, Mine was a bitch and yet others have said theirs was easy ?
Mine zipped right off with my 24 volt impact wrench. I was mentally prepared for a fight though!
Sponsored

1idrod

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ritterhomesinc.com
Vehicle(s)
06 GMC 3/4 Diesel, 02 V-Rod
Occupation
Builder

1idrod

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ritterhomesinc.com
Vehicle(s)
06 GMC 3/4 Diesel, 02 V-Rod
Occupation
Builder
I think early production JLs are the ones that come off easily. I think mine had a gallon of red locktite on it.
Lol. Sounds about like the body mount bolts. What a bitch they were.

Token

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Red loctite can easily be defeated with a bit of heat. Once you warm it up, the pitman arm nut will spin right off.

Sponsored

fyr145

First Name
Lon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Public Safety - (ret.)
Vehicle Showcase
That's strange, when I did my brace, that nut came off fairly easy with my impact wrench. Of course, I had mine set on the highest position and had that 42mm socket squarely on it as well. I too was braced for a fight just in case.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
As I help out the local Jeep club teaching newbs to wrench (we usually do a weekend a month) I've done 3 of these.

2 came off easy, just a breaker bar to get it started. The 3rd needed some heat and someone much bigger than the 90lb lady who owns the Jeep on the end of the breaker bar. Don't get me wrong she torqued her LCA's to 190 all on her own but didn't have the mass to break that 42mm free.

BTW it's good process to start disassembly by hand as you get an idea for how tight it was to start with. If you just hit it with an impact you don't really know.

JL Dude

First Name
Hayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sahara (White)
“Hey everyone I have experienced death wobble in my Jeep Wrangler jl. It’s not bad but very annoying having to slow down and stop it when going 65 mph. I recently have installed a track bar brace and sector shaft brace from synergy and I tried to get the Jeep to do it again and all it did was wobble for a half a second then it stopped. Now I’m not saying it’s completely solved because I know my caster is off a bit but could that brace have solved the issue or at least helped it. I’m running a 2.5 inch RC lift with 315/70/r17 tires.” Posting this on a different thread just to see the different opinions.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
mine has shipped and should be here next week. I made a deal with a local mechanic to install it for since I do not want to tackle it and he has all the tools and a full service bay. With the previously installed Yeti track bar and Falcon stabilizer I’ll feel like i’ve done all i can do.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer

BTW it's good process to start disassembly by hand as you get an idea for how tight it was to start with. If you just hit it with an impact you don't really know.
Isn't that what the service manual torque specs are for?

Sponsored

Beechnut87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon
Mine was a bear. Saw others say it wad easy peasy and my impact couldn't do it and I bent my breaker bar before throwing heat on it. Then it came right off. Like others said three early jl must have had blue loctite or something bc even mopars replacement image shows aton of red loctite now. Also word tip the wise is to use either green or red Lucas oil grease to keep it from sounding like an old creaky pirate ship. I initially used white lithium grease and was good for 3 months then needed to regrease every wheeling trip and once a week. Used the green Lucas oil grease and a month drama free so far.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I have a Feb 2020 build...my pitman arm nut came off easy...which shocked me. Maybe they went back to blue locktight. Almost too easy. Biggest challenge was getting that little set screw installed on the shaft brace....

mysto

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Grey 2 door JL Rubicon
I installed the brace and trackbar together, so it's hard to say which thing did what, but my steering is greatly improved.

I can feel the road more in front, and the front shudder when hitting bumps is gone. Wander is reduced, I didn't really have play. I still feel the rear end shudder and "follow" me, so there is probably a rear trackbar in my future....

Brian0128

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 Toyota TRD PRO
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

What is the orange paste that he is applying to the steering brace bolts at 4:38?

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the brace and trackbar together, so it's hard to say which thing did what, but my steering is greatly improved.

I can feel the road more in front, and the front shudder when hitting bumps is gone. Wander is reduced, I didn't really have play. I still feel the rear end shudder and "follow" me, so there is probably a rear trackbar in my future....
I think a stiff track bar and track bar brace will help your on road manner. The shaft brace part is like an insurance when you are off road.
Sponsored