Sponsored

Track Bar/Sector Shaft Brace for 392 necessary?

MTGOAT

First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 GTO,14 Abarth,18 Velar,19 JLUR,22 392 XR
Excuse me if this has been discussed before. Did some searching and couldn't find the topic; I bought a Synergy Track Bar brace and sector shaft support for my current JLRU with the expectation that I may need it if I went to larger tires. Fast forward a year or so and I haven't needed to put it on. Now that I have the 392 XR on the way has there been any of the same steering box concerns that would benefit from this brace going on the 392 vs the JLRU?

I thought I had briefly read that there were changes made to the 392 that corrected this... but I may have been drinking when I read that 🤨
Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Many of us have larger tires, but most of us don't have a track bar brace. What shortcoming are you trying to correct? The steering issues on here tend to relate back to overly low caster rates (causing wandering steering) on Rubicons and are generally addressed through longer front LCAs. Have you researched the caster issue?

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
The 392 is lifted above many of the other engine/trim levels but has the same length control arms as any other rubi. I haven’t owned mine long enough to put it on a alignment machine but would assume it has low caster. Not sure why they didn’t use longer control arms on any XR engine level or any 392 trim level. But I am sure as more 392s get delivered we’ll see some caster measurements In the low 4s and 3s.

But that doesn’t answer your question ;) . Bracing can’t hurt. The 392 is heavy up front. So more force needed to turn the wheels.

OP
OP
MTGOAT

MTGOAT

First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was trying to be proactive in expecting the larger tires would put additional strain on the steering box. Watching a few videos you could clearly see the steering box being pulled from the frame during back and forth movement of the steering.

This is a pull from Synergy's website better explaining what I was going to try and avoid. Wasn't sure if the 392s had this area reinforced:

Front Track Bar and Sector Shaft Brace is designed to better distribute the increased load the frame side track bar bracket encounters on a lifted Jeep and supports the steering box sector shaft from excessive deflection. A track bar bracket or steering box failure is a quick way to end your day. A lift and large tires can easily push these components past their capacity. Reinforce your front frame side track bar bracket and sector shaft with Synergy's Front Track Bar and Sector Shaft Brace.
  • NOT compatible with JT Gladiator Mojave or Sahara models, or JT Gladiators with Diesel engines. Jeep added a gusset to the coil bucket which interferes with fitment. This gusset must be removed with a grinder in order to clear the 8869-01 brace.

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
I’m installing my Steersmarts Brace soon. It looked like I needed to grind a little on some brackets/welds to make it fit when I was installing my lift so I held off for now. Going to swap the new steering components over as well when I install the brace. If I have any glaring issues I’ll post them up.

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I was trying to be proactive in expecting the larger tires would put additional strain on the steering box. Watching a few videos you could clearly see the steering box being pulled from the frame during back and forth movement of the steering.

This is a pull from Synergy's website better explaining what I was going to try and avoid. Wasn't sure if the 392s had this area reinforced:
Butch, you may want to install adjustable LCAs first and see how you like the result before fully opening up your checkbook to other remedies. I suspect that they will get you right where you want to be all by themselves. They worked wonders for me. The 24.25" Mopar ones (stock LCAs are 24.0") will be a little too short - mine took 24.375" (hence the need for adjustable ones) to get the caster where I wanted it.

First step: download a free angle finder app and measure your stock caster.

[keep in mind that Synergy's videos are designed to try to sell you something through FUD]

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Butch, you may want to install adjustable LCAs first and see how you like the result before fully opening up your checkbook to other remedies. I suspect that they will get you right where you want to be all by themselves. They worked wonders for me.
Adjusting just LCAs comes at the cost of Pinion angle. What caster and pinion did you end up with?

OP
OP
MTGOAT

MTGOAT

First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think I am explaining myself well enough. This video got me wondering about the steering box movement. I didn't have any concerns regarding LCAs and caster angles. In my mind this brace is an added piece of insurance when running larger tires. However, based on MSparks909's comment about needing to hit that area with a grinder I think it answers the question that Jeep did improve the gussets in that area

https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkxd_RO7f3D63nDO12iq2b2AlKe7MqzWO6B

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Sorry @Mtngoat! I was responding to @rickinAZ comments mostly.

But as I said supporting the sector shaft is never a bad idea especially 392 with 37s+. I have had one on my dodge 2500 for 300k miles. Just not sure it will fit out of the box. Let us know ;)

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
I put the Synergy one on mine. Mainly because I had it on my last JL, just swapped it over. Didn’t have to do any grinding or clearancing, it bolted right up. One issue that the Hemi does fix is that it comes with the upgraded steel steering box from the factory, not the aluminum one.

Sponsored

texasbryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392; 2018 JLUR (sold); 2016 JKU (sold)
I put the Synergy one on mine. Mainly because I had it on my last JL, just swapped it over. Didn’t have to do any grinding or clearancing, it bolted right up. One issue that the Hemi does fix is that it comes with the upgraded steel steering box from the factory, not the aluminum one.
Did you find that this upgrade reduced the amount of "play" in your steering? My steering wheel has about an inch of play (1/2 inch in each direction) that I would like to eliminate.

texasbryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Excuse me if this has been discussed before. Did some searching and couldn't find the topic; I bought a Synergy Track Bar brace and sector shaft support for my current JLRU with the expectation that I may need it if I went to larger tires. Fast forward a year or so and I haven't needed to put it on. Now that I have the 392 XR on the way has there been any of the same steering box concerns that would benefit from this brace going on the 392 vs the JLRU?

I thought I had briefly read that there were changes made to the 392 that corrected this... but I may have been drinking when I read that 🤨
Did you end up installing this? I am trying to reduce the amount of steering "play" in my 392 and I hope this will help.

Last edited:

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Did you end up installing this? I am trying to reduce the amount of steering "play" in my 392 and I hope this will help.
1/2 inch of play in your steering wheel is about normal. Truly to check if you need the brace, have a person help you and turn the steering wheel a 1/4-1/2 turn each way and you find where the play or slop is coming from. if the box is moving, then you need the brace, if the input shaft turns and your sector shaft doesn’t move then it is your box, otherwise look to other areas, tie rods, drag link etc to see what is loose. If all looks good and moves on queue then it is “a Jeep”….

texasbryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1/2 inch of play in your steering wheel is about normal. Truly to check if you need the brace, have a person help you and turn the steering wheel a 1/4-1/2 turn each way and you find where the play or slop is coming from. if the box is moving, then you need the brace, if the input shaft turns and your sector shaft doesn’t move then it is your box, otherwise look to other areas, tie rods, drag link etc to see what is loose. If all looks good and moves on queue then it is “a Jeep”….
Good idea. I'll check to see if the box is moving. The play isn't that bad, but if I can reduce it some that would be great.
Sponsored