Sponsored

Track bar frame weld issue recall! [Updated with official UA5 recall notice w/ repair procedure]

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Has anyone actually had their track bar welds repaired under the recall? Seems like almost everyone has received an “all clear” from FCA.
Seems like a lot of folks purchased a Rusty's bracket themselves .
Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
The resolution for the frame weld recall was revised recently such that looking at date stamp on the frame was no longer part of the procedure (in other words photos should be taken regardless of the stamp date and sent to FCA for review). I’ll be interested to see if FCA signs off without the photos.
This seems like a liability for FCA. What about the owner’s who were part of the build date but not the frame number. Their welds were not inspected. They were just sent home. I suppose if they only changed the recall to inspect all frames within the build date because some frame numbers are not legible, then that’s okay. This is assuming Jeep is confident only those frames within those frame numbers are the only ones affected.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
have any of you early RUSTY's Bracket adopters taken it in and had the service department remove it and check and replace it? I'm going to be putting a lift after Christmas so sine I'm already removing springs etc. I'm thinking of taking the Rusty's Bracket off, taking jeep in and let them inspect and then put bracket back on when I get it back home.

GinjaNinja

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave; 2018 Mojito! JLUR [GONE];
I asked myself the same question. Somthing must have happened for them to make the decision to buy it back because the dealer would have called me when the inspection team showed up. So your guess is as good as mine.
I would be willing to bet that because Bob provided a number of pictures of welds throughout the entire frame that were shockingly bad or missing seams FCA really had no choice. His frame getting a pass from FCA quality (hahaha) control was pure negligence. Even though this recall is just for the track bar, the entire frame is now questionable. I also want to take a closer look at my entire frame when I get the time and pursue whatever I need to if something else is wrong.

This is one of the main reasons I have not done any modifications as I refuse to give FCA any excuses to blame any issues on mods... I can't fully enjoy the Jeep knowing a buyback may happen etc. which sucks.

SandBucket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR; 2017 Subaru Outback; 1999 TJ Sport (traded-in)
I checked my VIN today and my recall was marked as “completed” but I haven’t heard anything from FCA or the dealership yet. I guess the pictures of the welds passed muster but one of the 2 pictures was very blurry and I am surprised FCA didn’t ask the dealership to retake it. (I think my track bar welds look fine so I didn’t demand it).
I’ve only heard of a couple people that had welds that required additional action after the recall inspection.

Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I would be willing to bet that because Bob provided a number of pictures of welds throughout the entire frame that were shockingly bad or missing seams FCA really had no choice. His frame getting a pass from FCA quality (hahaha) control was pure negligence. Even though this recall is just for the track bar, the entire frame is now questionable. I also want to take a closer look at my entire frame when I get the time and pursue whatever I need to if something else is wrong.

This is one of the main reasons I have not done any modifications as I refuse to give FCA any excuses to blame any issues on mods... I can't fully enjoy the Jeep knowing a buyback may happen etc. which sucks.
First inspect them and take many photos from many angles .
Second take your Jeep to an experienced welder at an insurance company body and frame repair contractor , and get their written evaluation . Then you will know the lay of the land , and have all the evidence .
Who knows ? You might be good to go ?
Or , you might need a Rusty's bracket ?

SuperSixOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
Occupation
Techie
Took my JL to the local dealership, they took a picture of a stamp on the frame, emailed me back two hours later and gave me the all clear.

I am not sure if I should feel good about the quick service. I live in Kansas City, and according to the Tech there has been one jeep in the area that needed to have the welds cut.
Same here! Sent my photos to FCA. 8-9 Hours later they called me to pick it up. The Service Manager reported that FCA said the Jeep was safe. I asked how do I proof. The manager provided me a report. He explained that the engineers at FCA that review the photos will immediately notify the servicer if a repair is needed. The service manager reported that only I was 1 of 2 Jeeps with the recall they have had so far. However, he revealed that another nearby Jeep dealer has only had 1 Jeep that was sent to Los Angeles for major repair on this recall.

I asked the Service Manager for copies of the photos that they took and he explained that its 'against their policy for legal issues'. Anyone have problems getting copies of the photos? Should I press the issue?

SuperSixOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
Occupation
Techie
(Don't know about carfax or diminished value) ; but presume that if the repair is good , you won't want to sell , and if repair is not good , fca will buy back and substitute a better JL in it's place .
Well my plan was to eventually private sell my JL around 2020. Right before the new more fuel efficient model Jeeps roll out. May go all out Rubicon next time.

Well, that was the plan...

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I asked the Service Manager for copies of the photos that they took and he explained that its 'against their policy for legal issues'. Anyone have problems getting copies of the photos? Should I press the issue?
Better to take your own photos , and especially take it to an experienced welder at an insurance company authorized repair shop , for an expert opinion and written evaluation . You can also get a Rusty's bracket for them to install for your peace of mind .

In Cali , arguing with any dealer is a total waste of your time and energy .

Sponsored

FuriousEwok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU, Liberty KK, Cherokee XJ
I took my JLU in for the recall this morning and was just called where they informed me it failed the inspection, so they will need to do the repair. They are giving me a rental for over night.
I admit, I haven't read through the entire 80 pages in this thread, but is everyone confident this fix is a safe and practical resolution? I'm assuming it has been approved by the transportation board, etc. I'm not an engineer, so I really have no knowledge on whether fixing a weld like this practical.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
I took my JLU in for the recall this morning and was just called where they informed me it failed the inspection, so they will need to do the repair. They are giving me a rental for over night.
I admit, I haven't read through the entire 80 pages in this thread, but is everyone confident this fix is a safe and practical resolution? I'm assuming it has been approved by the transportation board, etc. I'm not an engineer, so I really have no knowledge on whether fixing a weld like this practical.
The fix reliability is probably 90% based on the individual welders abilities. Some people have come out with worse welds than they had to start with. Thebigger question is that if yourtrack bar bracket weld was bad how many others are as well. Control arm and shock mounts, frame, etc.

ziggybumwah

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, 1995 Camaro Z28
Took mine in this morning for the repair. Hoping they'll have it finished tomorrow, and can give an engineer's perspective on quality of the fix.

FuriousEwok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The fix reliability is probably 90% based on the individual welders abilities. Some people have come out with worse welds than they had to start with. Thebigger question is that if yourtrack bar bracket weld was bad how many others are as well. Control arm and shock mounts, frame, etc.
Yep, thanks. I think I might need to take it to an expert afterwards to check out some of the other welds, and the fix they performed.

FuriousEwok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just got a call back from Jeep...
They just mentioned when they called yesterday and indicated the car failed the recall and needed the fix, they were incorrect. They though it automatically failed as indicated by a recall, and was going to get someone at the service department to make the correction weld. To me this makes sense now as I was asking follow-up questions yesterday on what the FCA response was to the pictures they took and their confusion as to what I was asking.
They got it figured out today, sent the pictures off to FCA and are waiting for a response. He indicated if it does need the fix, its actually a technician from FCA that comes out to the dealership service department that specializes in this to make the repair. This provides me with a bit more re-assurance that someone specializing in the frame from FCA is making the repair and not someone less experienced from the service department would be making the fix.
Sponsored