Sponsored

Track bar frame weld issue recall! [Updated with official UA5 recall notice w/ repair procedure]

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Took my 18 JLU to dealer in Cary, NC yesterday and they said I was the 11th or 12th inspection for the recall and no problems yet. Of course, that meant I would have the weld issue and sure enough the welds look like swiss cheese.

Here are the images:
IMG_3815.JPG

IMG_3816.JPG

Would appreciate any feedback on how bad this is, the service manager said FCA should be out to inspect next week but I am not confident in repairs on a purchase like this.
I would say the “location” of the weld looks okay, so FCA must also be evaluating the quality of the weld. That is ecouraging. What’s not encouraging is that most owners have similar looking welds on their track bar bracket that are NOT part of the recall.

Clearly this weld fails the porosity spec of 6.4mm per 25mm of weld.
Sponsored

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
I look at that pic and you usually get that effect from either contamination or loss of shielding gas (if gas is used and not flux core). Do you know the parent material and or weld wire spec by chance?.
Why Thank you so much!! Can I get a stainless steel tooth brush to go with that sammich? Thanks, I needed a good laugh today.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Take some Whiteout and paint over your date code then wipe off the Whiteout. The Whiteout should fill the stampings so you will be able to read the numbers easier. Hope that works to make your numbers more legible.
Brilliant idea !

Kevman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara Granite Crystal, Audi A5
I went to my mopar on their website and my vehicle is registered. Doesn't say my vehicle is affected, but it was definitely build in that time frame. Had trouble finding that number on the frame, but I think the first three numbers are 846. I guess I'm not affected?

Sponsored

GinjaNinja

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave; 2018 Mojito! JLUR [GONE];
Well, I suppose I am not surprised my frame number is within range (156) since my welds (yes plural...on one bracket) look like a drunken monkey did them. I will likely seek a real inspection (X-ray) before and after the repair. Can’t see how three welds on one bracket is a good idea...

upload_2018-10-18_16-19-34.jpeg

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Mine was built 2-1-18, frame stamped 025, so I'm prior to the recall date but my welds look terrible with lots of porosity and splatter front, middle, and rear of the frame.

Will be interesting to see if this recall gets expanded or if class action lawsuits come of this.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Well, I suppose I am not surprised my frame number is within range (156) since my welds (yes plural...on one bracket) look like a drunken monkey did them. I will likely seek a real inspection (X-ray) before and after the repair. Can’t see how three welds on one bracket is a good idea...

upload_2018-10-18_16-19-34.jpeg
Please don’t insult drunken monkeys with that weld.

tombovo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sahara, Firecracker Red, 6sp Manual, Leather, LED, Tow, Cold Weather, Infotainment
My frame stamp is pretty hard to read, so with a little white chalk rubbed over the scratches, it looks like the number is 156 and the build date is 6-18, so I am right in the recall population. This means I can't drive on an outing my wife has been planning and we have to go with another couple...in their Honda Fit! I am not happy.

Sponsored

grady2hig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna XLE 4WD
#1) No idea on the 767, will ask the service manager in the morning.
#2) The welds must have failed the "picture test" as the service manager said they sent them off to FCA and their response was to give us a loaner while they sent someone out to inspect in person.

Since they had already inspected 10 other JLU's something must have stood out about mine for FCA to ask them to hold it so that they could come out and inspect.
Looks like they weld is off center...like its barely on the track bar mount and mostly on the frame.

Well FML

First Name
Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR
Just went over my welds and they look good to me but I'm not a welder. I am in the recall range; my number is 151. Build date from the stick is June 18th.

IMG_1709[1].JPG

IMG_1694[1].JPG
Well based off the only two photos posted. I’d say you do have some undercut from to high of voltage. Also from traveling to fast and not waiting to fill in the weld crater. I don’t see any porosity which is good in you favor and they are on the joint.
Just went over my welds and they look good to me but I'm not a welder. I am in the recall range; my number is 151. Build date from the stick is June 18th.

IMG_1709[1].JPG

IMG_1694[1].JPG
Well based off the only two photos posted. I’d say you do have some undercut from to high of a voltage. Also from traveling to fast and not waiting to fill in the weld crater. I don’t see any porosity which is good in you favor and they are on the joint. But undercut is a weld flaw. When this weld flaw occurs, the weld metal fails to fill in weld affected area, resulting in a weak weld that is prone to cracking along the toes.

Elganja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Bright White JLUR, 2015 Dodge Viper GT, 2014 Audi R8 V10, 2015 Audi S3
while mine has not failed and is not under “recall” as of yet— most of the trackbar welds look OK with the exception of 1, that was obviously “fixed” at some point (see picture)

i have a feeling Jeep knew about this QC issue, patched it (re-welds), and even further down, properly by making adjustments

anyways, here’s one crappy weld (i have a few like this on the frame)— i would classify it as purely cosmetic but ugly

21422BC3-7947-4957-8F4F-1F7A8B8AAF57.jpeg

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
while mine has not failed and is not under “recall” as of yet— most of the trackbar welds look OK with the exception of 1, that was obviously “fixed” at some point (see picture)

i have a feeling Jeep knew about this QC issue, patched it (re-welds), and even further down, properly by making adjustments

anyways, here’s one crappy weld (i have a few like this on the frame)— i would classify it as purely cosmetic but ugly

21422BC3-7947-4957-8F4F-1F7A8B8AAF57.jpeg
I think you win the award for “most artistic weld”.