Sponsored

Track bar frame weld issue recall! [Updated with official UA5 recall notice w/ repair procedure]

HRDRCK

First Name
Tashsa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 rubicon hard rock
Occupation
Dental professional
I have a mix bag of bad welds, long story short called FCA told me they couldn't help until a resolution for the welds is identified. Took it to my dealer in Maryland and they wouldn't even tell me if the welds are good or bad. Claimed they are not qualified to speak to the quality of welds.

A law firm is filing a class action, I don't want to jump to conclusions but its ridicules that Jeep or a dealership isn't I'm a position to at least provide feedback on a inspection. Love the JL but my wife and kids drive this daily.

20181014_225014.jpg

20181014_224817.jpg

20181014_224813.jpg

20181014_224628.jpg

20181014_224439.jpg

20181014_224316.jpg

20181014_224152.jpg

20181014_224439.jpg

20181014_224142.jpg
You would have to pay but take it to a body shop and ask them what frame inspector they use. Iā€™m in Missouri and our highway patrol police department can inspect it. But I donā€™t know if thatā€™s everywhere.
Sponsored

jmr2018

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline, 1971 Super Bug Convrt.
the Shit Show called FCA continues, Jeep told me to reschedule the inspection as they spoke to the dealer over the weekend. I brought it in today was told AGAIN by the dealer that there isn't anything they can do as FCA hasn't given them any guidance yet. They called FCA as I couldn't believe this was happening again and we were both told by Jeep that there isn't anything the dealer can do as there isn't a fix. Jeep apologized for the misinformation which did nothing for me as I took time off work to get this inspected.

I was also told by FCA that they have up to ONE YEAR to provide some type of fix. So we all could be driving defective Jeeps for some time to come. I have never had such a poor new car experience as I am having with this Jeep. I crawled under the Jeep and the welds look good to my untrained eye.

I would recommend anyone looking to buy a Jeep hold off until Jeep can get their act together as quality and customer satisfaction isn't important. BTW when is the new Bronco coming out???

I am on the recall list and set up an inspection at the dealer for today. The dealer was upfront with me that Jeep hasn't given them any direction on this issue and recommended me to call Jeep directly.

I called Jeep and the Recall person was completely unaware of this recall. After I gave him my VIN, explained that the dealer has 0 ideas on how to even inspect this thing. He looked this up after a 10-minute hold he told me I should be able to take it to the dealer for an inspection, I then had to re-explain that I just came back from the dealer who told me to call Jeep as they don't know what to do. He then called the dealer, after a 40-minute hold the dealer now knows how to not only inspect but repair the issue and I'll have to drop it off AGAIN...

At this point, my spider-sense is on high. I"ll drop it off to be inspected but there is no way I'm allowing the dealer to do a weld. If it passes I'll put on the aftermarket bracket, if it fails then I'll see how Jeeps legendary customer service plays out.

I'm new to Jeep and FCA. Is this common for Jeep to be this clueless and have so many issues with a new product? I already had to get part of the soft top replaced because it almost blew off on the highway. Before anyone says "never buy a first-year vehicle" what year is this anyway 2018 or 1973? I would be slightly more understanding if the issue was because of some new unproven technology but missing a weld... WTF.

Last edited:

Puma_jeep

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sport
The dealers have no instruction at this time on what to look for or what the fix is. Please don't shit on your dealer when you know as much as they do in this situation. I talked with a FCA rep and the recall is in the NHTSA hands now until a repair is approved. You can call FCA if you are concerned about safety. Get FCA approval for a rental, dealers cant auth a rental(unless they want to eat the cost) for that period of time.
I get the dealership has their hands tied, but the fact that Jeep (FCA) issued a recall, but has not set up a infrastructure to manage the small number of jeeps affected is the issue.

I purchased my vehicles based on the experience I have with the dealer and service center, I shouldn't have to escalate to a service manager just to get a brand new Jeep on a lift and have to show them the recall on my phone to get them to understand the weld issue.

The dealership is the FCA customer, they purchase direct from the manufacturer, if I was a dealership I would be pushing extremely hard to FCA to have a communication channel establish to respond to customer coming in regardless of if a fix is ready or not. It not only impacts the end customers but also the ability for the dealerships to exercise good service and response in issues like this.

First Name
Donna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon, 2007 Audi RS4, 2014 Audi SQ5, 2005.5 Audi A4 Avant
Occupation
realtor
the Shit Show called FCA continues, Jeep told me to reschedule the inspection as they spoke to the dealer over the weekend. I brought it in today was told AGAIN by the dealer that there isn't anything they can do as FCA hasn't given them any guidance yet. They called FCA as I couldn't believe this was happening again and we were both told by Jeep that there isn't anything the dealer can do as there isn't a fix. Jeep apologized for the misinformation which did nothing for me as I took time off work to get this inspected.

I was also told by FCA that they have up to ONE YEAR to provide some type of fix. So we all could be driving defective Jeeps for some time to come. I have never had such a poor new car experience as I am having with this Jeep. I crawled under the Jeep and the welds look good to my untrained eye.

I would recommend anyone looking to buy a Jeep hold off until Jeep can get their act together as quality and customer satisfaction isn't important. BTW when is the new Bronco coming out???[/QUOTE

Thanks for all the input. Sounds like I'm holding off buying a new JL. I have never heard of such poor quality control. I'm used to Audi, Porsche and Toyota. Very disappointed in FCA and scared to pull the trigger. I was going to pick up a new JL today, but I don't think so.

OP
OP
LABLUE

LABLUE

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 Ram 1500 North edition
Occupation
CDJR Master Tech
I donā€™t work in the auto industry. I find it interesting that FCA/NHTSA can issue a serious safety recall without any instructions on how to evaluate or fix the problem. Are owners supposed to just keep driving their affected vehicles without concern?

What if a building inspector deemed a building to possibly have a structural defect but made no mention on whether itā€™s safe for people to reside in the building until it is fixed?

Is this normal for the auto industry?
Almost all recalls are announced before the fix is made available. GM ign switch, we all know that that actually killed people. Takata air bags, same thing recall out before the fix. Every recall in the news that is new is released without a fix. Its bigger than FCA slamming some brace on the frame. It has to be tested that it is safe. It will come back to the supplier. If your mad, be mad at the supplier.

Sponsored

OP
OP
LABLUE

LABLUE

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CDJR Master Tech
A lot of big companies don't even think with their brains. The easiest and quickest fix here is to offer a Bracket like RUSTY's heavy duty trackbar bracket. Its literally 99$ + shipping. I installed mine in less than an hour and its awesome FCA could could do 2 things. Get these brackets duplicated and out to dealers by appointment for those on recall or allow the customer to purchase and do a reimbursement. Because of FCA's failure to address this easily This is getting blown out of proportion.
Not that easy, is that bracket approved by the NHTSA? So many people want to complain about it to the highest people but dont want to wait for the NHTSA approved repair.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18ā€™ Toyota 4Runner
Not that easy, is that bracket approved by the NHTSA? So many people want to complain about it to the highest people but dont want to wait for the NHTSA approved repair.
True, but some of these people who are just letting their jeeps sit and not be driven could be at least driving it with this Rusty's bracket. I mean think about it. Its really like having 2 brackets on. The chances of the OEM bracket failing + the Rusty's is so small it shouldn't even be a factor. Then once the recall fix is approved by all means if they want, remove the Rusty's bracket and take the dealer to see how the track bar welds are.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
I donā€™t work in the auto industry. I find it interesting that FCA/NHTSA can issue a serious safety recall without any instructions on how to evaluate or fix the problem. Are owners supposed to just keep driving their affected vehicles without concern?

What if a building inspector deemed a building to possibly have a structural defect but made no mention on whether itā€™s safe for people to reside in the building until it is fixed?

Is this normal for the auto industry?
So to compare to a different industry . . . if there's a serious security flaw in software that you use do you want the alert about the risk to be delayed until the fix is available or would you rather be informed of it ASAP?

OP
OP
LABLUE

LABLUE

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CDJR Master Tech
True, but some of these people who are just letting their jeeps sit and not be driven could be at least driving it with this Rusty's bracket. I mean think about it. Its really like having 2 brackets on. The chances of the OEM bracket failing + the Rusty's is so small it shouldn't even be a factor. Then once the recall fix is approved by all means if they want, remove the Rusty's bracket and take the dealer to see how the track bar welds are.
That's up to them not to drive it. They can pay to have it installed

Seanmh72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
So to compare to a different industry . . . if there's a serious security flaw in software that you use do you want the alert about the risk to be delayed until the fix is available or would you rather be informed of it ASAP?
Don't quite think this is the same or even a valid comparison. Using Microsoft Word won't kill me, probably.

Sponsored

OP
OP
LABLUE

LABLUE

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CDJR Master Tech
las

So if you were getting on a jet with your family and were told that this plane was recalled but there is only about 3% to 4% chance it's possibly affected. The airline was going to get around to fixing it sometime this year. Would you take your seat or hightail it to another airline?
The Jeep my wife drives every day with my child in it may fail(or not because I opened my eyes and looked at the welds).
All I did was give examples of recalls that were announced before fixes were available. The ones I also gave examples of, people DIED! Every time you drive a car you have a chance of dying, every time you fly on a plane there's a chance.... I can post recalls from FCA that have no fixes. I'm sure I can get my Ford friend to do the same. Its how the system is. Call NHTSA and complain! Then get an attorney!

Gromet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAM 1500
https://www.hotcars.com/fca-recalli...6TSOQQNiBVw25tSrnuKVvSB53Ii4fIcWZw3bpxdDovE7E

Fiat Chrysler is getting ready to issue a recall on their Jeep Wrangler JL thanks to some faulty welding.

For months, owners of newer-model Jeep Wrangler JLs have been complaining about poorly-done frame welds. Pictures abound on the JL Wrangler Forums showing welds in the wrong spot, welds with holes and air pockets, or welds that have already begun to show signs of corrosion.

As Jalopnik explains, these faulty welds are a serious problem. For many Wrangler owners, welds this bad are causing the track brackets to completely fail and come detached from the frame. Just take a look at this video from 2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon owner Bret Stevens showing the front right tracking bracket and how it doesnā€™t seem to be touching much of anything when he turns the wheel.

Thatā€™s bad. This weld failure happened while he was getting onto the highway and required him to have his steering set 45-degrees to the left just to remain straight. He managed to get home without incident, but his story is not a fluke. There are tons of similar stories on the JL Wrangler Forums (and compiled by Jalopnik).

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Um, there are lots of threads on this already. Didn't those pop up on your screen while you were typing your post? This forum suggests threads that already follow your topic as you are typing to help prevent lots of threads on the same thing.

Space ace

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
Bro... where you been, under a rock?? Itā€™s on the Issues, TSB, recall etc page...

Reactions: VNT

Gromet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAM 1500
Sorry guys, didn't see that this has been posted.
I saw no popups while I was creating the thread.

Mods please close/delete...
Sponsored