Sponsored

Track bar frame weld issue recall! [Updated with official UA5 recall notice w/ repair procedure]

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited
But they don’t know what the fix is or when it will be fixed.

Did you inspect the weld yourself? It could pass the visual inspection and released for sale in the immediate future. FCA/Dealer should refund your train tickets.
I may reach out to FCA about the travel costs. The dealer said he'd credit me the costs of my travel and my time if I bought that car, but if I don't buy that car, I'm out around $400.

I didn't inspect the car at all. I didn't know the full details about the recall at the time.
Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I may reach out to FCA about the travel costs. The dealer said he'd credit me the costs of my travel and my time if I bought that car, but if I don't buy that car, I'm out around $400.

I didn't inspect the car at all. I didn't know the full details about the recall at the time.

Ask to speak to the owner of the dealership if it's a family owned business. The dealer can't sell you the JL with the recall so you can't buy it anyway. They are partly responsible because they should have checked to see if your JL was on the recall list before delivery and you showing up. Maybe he will reimburse you for your travel considering the circumstances. They should credit you $400 for the travel if you order a 2019 from them. That's assuming you still want to do business with them. Good luck.

Last edited:

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would pass on the 20

Ask to speak to the owner of the dealership if it's a family owned business. The dealer can't sell you the JL with the recall so you can't buy it anyway. They are partly responsible because they should have checked to see if your JL was on the recall list before delivery and you showing up. Maybe he will reimburse you for your travel considering the circumstances. They should credit you $400 for the travel if you order a 2019 from them. That's assuming you still want to do business with them. Good luck.
yeah, i don't want that car with the recall and it sounds like they aren't going to be doing anywhere near as good of a deal if they pull the car from another dealer. i'm not sure what i'm going to do at this point.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
yeah, i don't want that car with the recall and it sounds like they aren't going to be doing anywhere near as good of a deal if they pull the car from another dealer. i'm not sure what i'm going to do at this point.
Can you wait? It probably will be a couple of months before you would get a 2019 but it would be exactly what you want and at a discount. Don't know who your dealer is or what your deal is like but there are dealers who are selling at 5%-7% under-invoice if you order a 2019. Maybe your dealer will match or come close to those deals.

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can you wait? It probably will be a couple of months before you would get a 2019 but it would be exactly what you want and at a discount. Don't know who your dealer is or what your deal is like but there are dealers who are selling at 5%-7% under-invoice if you order a 2019. Maybe your dealer will match or come close to those deals.
yeah, i can wait.

Sponsored

OP
OP
LABLUE

LABLUE

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 Ram 1500 North edition
Occupation
CDJR Master Tech
Wouldn't it be cheaper all the way around for FCA to just produce (or buy) a "Rusty's bracket" and bolt it on all the Jeeps suspected on the list just to be safe? I can't see them re welding these in the field for less.
Are "Rusty's bracket" an approved repair by the government? With recalls, they have to an approved repair by the government. It may sound cheaper but not always. I believe the actual cost of repairs will fall on the frame manufacturer.

wlvrn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
The dealerships do not know how to handle this yet. I scheduled an appointment with my dealership and explained that I wanted to confirm that they understood what to look for. They eventually cancelled my appointment saying that they didn't know what to look for yet and wouldn't have any fix for it until December. They then told me to call FCA.

Called FCA who said that I should call the dealership because the dealership has FCA technical contact numbers that they cannot give to me. I said that my dealership told me to call them at which point the FCA representative called my dealership with me on hold and put me on with the dealership supervisor who said they didn't have any instructions on how to fix it yet if it was found suspect. I asked who could tell me if it car was safe to drive then... they were pushing me to FCA and FCA was pushing me to the dealership. He agreed to have the service department inspect it. The FCA representative hung up in the background... awesome @JeepCares. The dealership also made it a point to tell me that I'd have to pay to have it inspected.

I had to fight with both of these representatives just to get them to agree to look at the welds and they're going to charge me for it. Otherwise, they are perfectly content with me driving the vehicle for 2 1/2 months until they can figure out what to do. Given the severity of the issue, I found that troubling. You'd think that FCA would jump at the opportunity to have people bring in the vehicles to be looked at to ensure that someone with bad welds didn't, you know, die in a wreck over the holidays.

Given, my vehicle might not be one of the 800 of the 18000 affected but 2 1/2 months is a lot of miles and a lot of chances for a potential failure if my vehicle has shoddy welds. Frustrating to say the least.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
The dealerships do not know how to handle this yet. I scheduled an appointment with my dealership and explained that I wanted to confirm that they understood what to look for. They eventually cancelled my appointment saying that they didn't know what to look for yet and wouldn't have any fix for it until December. They then told me to call FCA.

Called FCA who said that I should call the dealership because the dealership has FCA technical contact numbers that they cannot give to me. I said that my dealership told me to call them at which point the FCA representative called my dealership with me on hold and put me on with the dealership supervisor who said they didn't have any instructions on how to fix it yet if it was found suspect. I asked who could tell me if it car was safe to drive then... they were pushing me to FCA and FCA was pushing me to the dealership. He agreed to have the service department inspect it. The FCA representative hung up in the background... awesome @JeepCares. The dealership also made it a point to tell me that I'd have to pay to have it inspected.

I had to fight with both of these representatives just to get them to agree to look at the welds and they're going to charge me for it. Otherwise, they are perfectly content with me driving the vehicle for 2 1/2 months until they can figure out what to do. Given the severity of the issue, I found that troubling. You'd think that FCA would jump at the opportunity to have people bring in the vehicles to be looked at to ensure that someone with bad welds didn't, you know, die in a wreck over the holidays.

Given, my vehicle might not be one of the 800 of the 18000 affected but 2 1/2 months is a lot of miles and a lot of chances for a potential failure if my vehicle has shoddy welds. Frustrating to say the least.
Contact the NHTSA. File a complaint that you received a recall notice but the dealer has not been instructed on how to inspect or fix the vehicle. You don’t know if it’s safe to continue driving until it is inspected.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
When I install my RUSTY Bracket this weekend I'm going to FILL OUT this form and bitch about it. If I get the 120.00$ on a bracket that will be better than whatever RE-WELD crap they will do I'm all for it.

Screen Shot 2018-10-10 at 2.09.28 PM.png

Dadawada

First Name
Barrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, 2020 Honda Goldwing Bagger
Occupation
Network Technology Executive
Vehicle Showcase

Bean counters have figured out the risk / cost and decided in the long run it is cheaper for the company to risk lawsuits than try and fix the problem now on all the suspect Jeeps. There is already a law firm reaching out to owners to file a class action lawsuit because of stuff like this. One has already contacted me.

I actually despise lawsuits. But sometimes that is what it takes to get companies to do the right things unfortunately.

Sponsored

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
Bean counters have figured out the risk / cost and decided in the long run it is cheaper for the company to risk lawsuits than try and fix the problem now on all the suspect Jeeps. There is already a law firm reaching out to owners to file a class action lawsuit because of stuff like this. One has already contacted me.

I actually despise lawsuits. But sometimes that is what it takes to get companies to do the right things unfortunately.
Often it seems only the lawyers win in these things.

DravenGSX

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR, '16 Ram 1500 Longhorn
Are "Rusty's bracket" an approved repair by the government? With recalls, they have to an approved repair by the government. It may sound cheaper but not always. I believe the actual cost of repairs will fall on the frame manufacturer.
It is almost exactly what they did with the Ram track bar mount recall years ago...

FrankieFJL

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
Hell yeah those track bar welds are dangerous! I made the list, even though my welds look ok to my untrained eye. Got home last night after reading this, ran my finger along the weld and slice! Those welds sure are dangerous. No, i'm not showing my cut, but there was blood involved.

IMG_6532.JPG
IMG_6543.JPG

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
There is nothing that says the other vehicle won't be worse, but on the surface this one already has a high potential for being damaged goods.

I'm in so far for $1000 to hold the car, though I can't imagine they'll give me a hard time about getting that back.
I don't disagree with you... I hope you can get your money back and the vehicle you're looking for. I think that's bullshit that they'll refund your travel costs on the condition you buy a car they cannot sell you.
Sponsored