Sponsored

Track bar frame weld issue recall! [Updated with official UA5 recall notice w/ repair procedure]

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
The recall seems to mention 2019 models as well. Anyone have a 2019 that's on the list?
I have a 2019 on order, that I hope doesn't need the recall fix performed after delivery. I'm guessing that they will make sure the frame and track bar welds are Ok before it leaves the factory.

Hgrace

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JUL Sport S, Fleetwood 33 Terra SE. Lincoln MKC
The recall seems to mention 2019 models as well. Anyone have a 2019 that's on the list?
I have a 2019 on order, that I hope doesn't need the recall fix performed after delivery. I'm guessing that they will make sure the frame and track bar welds are Ok before it leaves the factory.
That's odd. No 2019s have been produced or delivered. They also corrected the issue a couple of months ago. They are holding sales for affected vehicles still on dealer lots

Sponsored

Hgrace

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JUL Sport S, Fleetwood 33 Terra SE. Lincoln MKC
Spot on about they are backwards .

Double-backwards , since they ought to manufacture them correctly in the first place .
I believe the frame is manufactured by Hyundai. This is a vendor issue for FCA.
Yes they could have caught them but only 800 are believed to be problematic

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
That's odd. No 2019s have been produced or delivered. They also corrected the issue a couple of months ago. They are holding sales for affected vehicles still on dealer lots
I thought it was odd that 2019s were mentioned too. Maybe there were few 2019 Wranglers made before the issue was acknowledged by FCA, that are already on the way to dealers. Or, they continue to manufacture 2019's with the frames in inventory (that might have the defect)?

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
This is my Gripe.
They put out a recall WITH NO FIX IN SIGHT????????????

But, there literally is a fix...A track bar brace, it is bolted onto your frame, it has no welds to EVER FAIL.

I had one on my TJ and my 00 Cherokee, and IMO should come from the factory as a bolt on bracket...not welded on.
It is a know weak point for most people that off road, the stress from huge tires and off roading can and will break shit.
99% of people I wheeled with when I was younger had a track bar brace.

What is their fix going to be? reweld a shitty weld? at the dealer, by someone who doesn't have experience welding?
Are they going to be sending master welders around the country?

Dealer techs don't even know how much oil to put in the JL...Are they going to be welding peoples track bar brackets back on?
Sorry, that doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy.

IMO if your JL is affected, buy a Rusty's Brace and bolt that sucker on and send FCA the bill. It will be cheaper for them, and much better peace of mind for you...even of you never go off roading.

Also, if your JL is affected, call your dealer and tell them to order the brace and put it on, since FCA doesn't have a fix. Do they expect people to leave their JLs at the dealer until they figure out that it needs a brace to guarantee the weld will never break?

SD964

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
This is my Gripe.
They put out a recall WITH NO FIX IN SIGHT????????????

But, there literally is a fix...A track bar brace, it is bolted onto your frame, it has no welds to EVER FAIL.

I had one on my TJ and my 00 Cherokee, and IMO should come from the factory as a bolt on bracket...not welded on.
It is a know weak point for most people that off road, the stress from huge tires and off roading can and will break shit.
99% of people I wheeled with when I was younger had a track bar brace.

What is their fix going to be? reweld a shitty weld? at the dealer, by someone who doesn't have experience welding?
Are they going to be sending master welders around the country?

Dealer techs don't even know how much oil to put in the JL...Are they going to be welding peoples track bar brackets back on?
Sorry, that doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy.

IMO if your JL is affected, buy a Rusty's Brace and bolt that sucker on and send FCA the bill. It will be cheaper for them, and much better peace of mind for you...even of you never go off roading.

Also, if your JL is affected, call your dealer and tell them to order the brace and put it on, since FCA doesn't have a fix. Do they expect people to leave their JLs at the dealer until they figure out that it needs a brace to guarantee the weld will never break?
Sending FCA a bill maybe a long shot, or getting the dealer to install the aftermarket brace. But I agree with you about the Rustys Brace. Mine is on the recall list, but my welds looks like many others that appear to be ok(I by no means an expert) and are not on the recall list. I already ordered the brace and it will hopefully be here next week. For the $120, and 30 minutes of my time, its worth it.

For documentation purposes, I also scheduled the jeep for inspection. Not that its going to do any good. Just for back up, having an independent shop looking at it also.

Sponsored

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Ya, I'm thinking of buying RUSTY's Brace and when the time comes that Jeep does have a fix for the Recall, I can use remove it in about an hour, take it in and see what they do. Then I'd just put it back on. This way your vehicle is cleared from he Recall.

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Yeah, mine isn't on the recall list either (july build)
My welds look fine, and I am not worried.
But, if I was on the list, I would do just what Rubenz said.
I will be doing it regardless, because it is something I have done to every jeep I have owned.

It just boggles my mind how they can say they don't have a fix, when there is literally an aftermarket part that will fix the issue...for the front at least.
Didn't know about the rear too.
Maybe they aren't as concerned about the rear, if the rear breaks, you can still steer...front breaks at highway speed and some bad shit is going to happen

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Yeah, mine isn't on the recall list either (july build)
My welds look fine, and I am not worried.
But, if I was on the list, I would do just what Rubenz said.
I will be doing it regardless, because it is something I have done to every jeep I have owned.

It just boggles my mind how they can say they don't have a fix, when there is literally an aftermarket part that will fix the issue...for the front at least.
Didn't know about the rear too.
Maybe they aren't as concerned about the rear, if the rear breaks, you can still steer...front breaks at highway speed and some bad shit is going to happen
Ya a bigger bonus would be if FCA opted to reimburse you for the price of Rusty's Bracket.

SWIRVN

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon (ordered)
I posted photos in the rear track bar thread and there appears to be a indent/ crack on the frame side which also is alarming. My front welds look better than the rear which isn’t saying much. This further proves the point that if the front track bar welds are in question than what about the structural integrity of the rest of the welds on the frame.

As mentioned earlier this is a family vehicle and at this point I scared to have my family in it.

Front and rear welds for reference:

C7D171BD-2897-4DC7-9871-C801EFE70583.jpeg
C8B32FEC-117F-4901-BF2C-30EBD4256F1C.jpeg
0F2D8D87-9BB8-4C71-B71D-254A50155B6A.jpeg
8A50DB4F-F924-49E5-B79D-9F98C305C519.jpeg
0C213A2F-2288-4D00-B81B-34B0E614D232.jpeg