Sponsored

Track bar frame weld issue recall! [Updated with official UA5 recall notice w/ repair procedure]

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Mine is at the factory JB status so ready to ship. I assume it’s ok. I checked -not in the list but how accurate is that list? Who knows
Maybe Jeep will use a new inspection mark to indicate a good track bar mount weld. So far I’ve seen blue and white lines perpendicular to the weld. Recently seen orange line horizontal to the weld that wraps around the front and side of the mount in a recent post.

See post #608 for picture
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...l-like-i’m-cursed-with-my-new-jl.6979/page-41
Sponsored

Last edited:

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
JK frames were not galvanized. Galvanized steel is hard to weld because the zinc in the galvanized coating vaporizes below steel melting temperatures. If travel speed is too fast, the weld puddle will start to cool before all of the zinc is vaporized. This causes porosity. You can get a sense of the travel speed from the shape of the weld bead and it was definitely too fast (from welds I have seen), probably to reduce cost. New metal core MIG wires that contain arc stabilizers can help solve some of the issues of welding galvanized steel. Here's an article from Miller about it.
Thanks. Interesting to read. Metal is complex.

NCJeepn73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU, Bld date: 2/2018
Occupation
Technical SEO & Web Development
Let me just add something to the mix. My JLUR was built 2/14/18. I picked it up on 7/2/2018. Noticed the weld issues around 7/7/2018 and started the process contacting dealer, then FCA, etc. My track bar bracket weld sat on the top of the bracket lip but the main issue was all of the porosity and slag in the weld bead.
Long story short, FCA decided to send a certified welder from MI to re-weld the track bar, rear sway brackets (also a lot of porosity), and other places on the frame. Jeep was at the dealership for 10 days total for the job. Welder showed up on day 9.
Final re-welds looked awful. They were not properly grinded down to the bracket lips/edges, the large pinholes in beads were not ground down. You can see this in another post or two I made in this forum (on my phone right now), and re-welds were as bad looking and haphazardly done as the robotic ones with issues.

Note: the welder from MI saw my post here in the forums after his work was done. He then went on to oust me in these forums, using my real name, the names or the service guys at the dealership, and belittling me and the entire situation.

Those that know me here know I'm battling stage IV cancer. This FCA welder stepped over the line by a long shot. I plan on dealing with this issue after my replacement is delivered and it is inspected and I accept it.

I sent all the re-weld pictures to FCA and more that were all around the frame. They agreed to a replacement after the pictures were looked at by higher-ups. I had other weld issues all around the frame btw.

I should have received the replacement by now but I haven't. The vehicle is currently sitting several hours away waiting to be transported to my local dealership. :facepalm:

Moral of my story? The attempted re-welds, unless they have a better process in place now, may look like mine. I had two CWIs check the re-welds and they both vehemently agreed that the attempt was not a pass whatsoever and that they were still dangerous. I've been forced to still drive the vehicle and no loaner provided. Any partial grinding down and throwing on another weld bead isn't a proper repair for this crucial frame/steering component (noted from my CWIs). It has to be taken down to the weld toes and basically started from scratch.

Dealing with all this and a dealer that could care less while going through treatments and having health issues has soured my views of Jeep.

Please, please have any re-welds inspected by a third-party. Before and after pics, and due diligence is needed. FCA could solve the bulk of this issue with one of the sturdy track bar bracket braces but they won't. $99 for one could save a life. Seems WAY cheaper than the method of repair they are choosing.

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
LOL....it can be fixed. Duh. It's called a welder.
Post above yours proves even a welder from the FCA plant (I assume) can’t correct the weld to acceptable standards resulting in a buyback.

My bet is there will be a buyback(s). FCA won’t risk the potential class action lawsuit and the bad media surrounding all of this. Just imagine if someone is hurt or killed driving their brand new Wrangler and the cause was a failed track bar mount.

Heads are gonna roll at FCA over this and the many other issues being discovered. The Wrangler is their cash cow and eventually all these issues will associate the Wrangler with poor quality and sales will drop.

Sponsored

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
^^^
Also as the frames are built someone else and sent to the final assembly line they don’t necessarily arrive or are use in order of them being built. A Jeep with a final build date in July could have a frame that was built in Jan and so forth. Hence the reason that two Jeep with the same or similar build date could have one with the issue and the other be OK.

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Post number you're referencing please?

I think you're wrong about the numbers dropping. That would only happen if there were a few highly publicized deaths directly attributed to a failed weld. Americans are image driven....without that bad publicity, the image will remain in tact.

True, we are image driven so you’re probably correct. Ha.

Rich in Dallas

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon, Tesla Model S
I'm taking mine in tomorrow. It was a June delivery ordered in May. App shows it is in the recall.
Fun updates. Took it to my local dealer in Dallas this am, they weren't really aware of the recall, said they have no fix, no eta on parts. They didn't take any time to look at the welds and just put it back on the road. I'll be keeping that appointment confirmation email and a record of today's conversation :)

zx10r2004

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Silverado
Not sure I undertand your comment. Are you saying Jeep is no longer using galvanized steel for the frame because they are having difficulty with the welds?

If true, what about all the frame welds at the back half?

Can you please explain further?

Is it industry standard to use galvanized steel for truck frames? Ford, GMC, Ram using galvanized steel now?
Back half is still galvanized

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Is this the area I need to look?

20181006_101638.jpg
Yes, that is the front track bar mounting bracket that is welded to the frame. You need to examine all the welds holding the bracket to the frame. You only see the front weld in your pic. You need to look at the other welds on the side and backside also. Check the side of the frame where you see the mounting bolts for the steering box. This one is easy to examine on the sahara and rubicon without having to crawl under the vehicle because of the open bumper. A little harder to examine on the Sport because the closed bumper gets in the way

Obviously you have some weld porosity in your picture.

While you are at it, there is a similar bracket at the rear end for the rear axle track bar. The bracket is on the passenger side in the rear end. I would check those welds also.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Thank You. What are the opinions on these?

bracket1.jpg

braqcket3.jpg

bracket2.jpg

bracket4.jpg
Take a picture of the side. You can see it while looking through the gap between the bumper and front fender.

Also suggest cleaning the area first. Hard to see the welds in your pics.

In the fourth pic showing porosity, that might fail FCA’s specifications of no more than 6.4mm of porosity per 25mm. Measure the diameters of those two holes. If the sum of both holes is greater than 6.4mm, that weld is “not acceptable”.

Last edited:

Jljohnny

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I looked up my JL and it's in the batch being recalled. I'm a long time welder. I inspected mine and found bad beads, butted up to the seams. It's technically still holding, but I only have 1000mi on it. This is my daily and I'm a single dad so my 7yr old is with me 100% when driving. Even if they "fix" this one bracket, I have no faith there aren't more weld issues along the frame. Good bye peace of mind. Crash without notice is unacceptable for me on a 40k vehicle. I tried to call FCA today and their phones are down for maintenance. I guess I'll roll the dice and drive it to the dealer. any advice?

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I looked up my JL and it's in the batch being recalled. I'm a long time welder. I inspected mine and found bad beads, butted up to the seams. It's technically still holding, but I only have 1000mi on it. This is my daily and I'm a single dad so my 7yr old is with me 100% when driving. Even if they "fix" this one bracket, I have no faith there aren't more weld issues along the frame. Good bye peace of mind. Crash without notice is unacceptable for me on a 40k vehicle. I tried to call FCA today and their phones are down for maintenance. I guess I'll roll the dice and drive it to the dealer. any advice?
This is starting to get real interesting. Waiting to hear about dealer experiences regarding inspection and fix. FCA will have to provide dealers with very specific instructions on how to evaluate the weld. Will it be based on alignment and location only or will dealers inspect the “quality” of the weld for porosity, slag and penetration?

For those individuals inspecting their own welds, I suggest you read the STAR document.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...pection-repair-rust-pinholes-alignment.14599/
Sponsored