Sponsored

Track bar frame weld issue recall! [Updated with official UA5 recall notice w/ repair procedure]

grady2hig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna XLE 4WD
Just got a call back from Jeep...
They just mentioned when they called yesterday and indicated the car failed the recall and needed the fix, they were incorrect. They though it automatically failed as indicated by a recall, and was going to get someone at the service department to make the correction weld. To me this makes sense now as I was asking follow-up questions yesterday on what the FCA response was to the pictures they took and their confusion as to what I was asking.
They got it figured out today, sent the pictures off to FCA and are waiting for a response. He indicated if it does need the fix, its actually a technician from FCA that comes out to the dealership service department that specializes in this to make the repair. This provides me with a bit more re-assurance that someone specializing in the frame from FCA is making the repair and not someone less experienced from the service department would be making the fix.
Apparently the rewelds from the FCA teams arent that great either...don't get too comfortable...
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Just got a call back from Jeep...
They just mentioned when they called yesterday and indicated the car failed the recall and needed the fix, they were incorrect. They though it automatically failed as indicated by a recall, and was going to get someone at the service department to make the correction weld. To me this makes sense now as I was asking follow-up questions yesterday on what the FCA response was to the pictures they took and their confusion as to what I was asking.
They got it figured out today, sent the pictures off to FCA and are waiting for a response. He indicated if it does need the fix, its actually a technician from FCA that comes out to the dealership service department that specializes in this to make the repair. This provides me with a bit more re-assurance that someone specializing in the frame from FCA is making the repair and not someone less experienced from the service department would be making the fix.
I guess those service techs don’t know how to read a recall bulletin.

Jimac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Back from the dealership and waiting to hear the verdict from FCA. Below are the dealership photos and my photos. The dealership photos were taken with better lighting and from different angles than mine.
The photos got jumbled up when I loaded them but, #1 is my internal weld photo, #3 is their photo of internal weld; #2 is their photo of outboard weld, #4 is mine.
3154A056-AEB0-4D88-8F6A-41ADCD01DF49.jpeg
01C74E1A-150C-4976-BE8C-CCCB5DA02401.jpeg
8F6B74CA-0FF7-4533-A327-6262CE8A7582.jpeg
68FEA229-D132-42F5-B1CC-CB200128C2FB.jpeg

Jimac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Back from the dealership and waiting to hear the verdict from FCA. Below are the dealership photos and my photos. The dealership photos were taken with better lighting and from different angles than mine.
The photos got jumbled up when I loaded them but, #1 is my internal weld photo, #3 is their photo of internal weld; #2 is their photo of outboard weld, #4 is mine.
3154A056-AEB0-4D88-8F6A-41ADCD01DF49.jpeg
01C74E1A-150C-4976-BE8C-CCCB5DA02401.jpeg
8F6B74CA-0FF7-4533-A327-6262CE8A7582.jpeg
68FEA229-D132-42F5-B1CC-CB200128C2FB.jpeg

Jimac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My dealer is refusing to give me copy of pictures and refuse to show me or copy me e-mail from FCA saying my wells are ok. Only thing I got was a voicemail from the service department that all’s ok.

Sponsored

grady2hig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My dealer is refusing to give me copy of pictures and refuse to show me or copy me e-mail from FCA saying my wells are ok. Only thing I got was a voicemail from the service department that all’s ok.
Does it really matter?...if the recall goes off the VIN then obviously it was okay. Take your own pictures... you own it...

Jimac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I checked my VIN today and my recall was marked as “completed” but I haven’t heard anything from FCA or the dealership yet. I guess the pictures of the welds passed muster but one of the 2 pictures was very blurry and I am surprised FCA didn’t ask the dealership to retake it. (I think my track bar welds look fine so I didn’t demand it).
I’ve only heard of a couple people that had welds that required additional action after the recall inspection.

Jimac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Are you a dealer? I don’t believe you can properly inspect a weld by a 2d picture sent by e-mail and if so why not be willing to sign a name to it!

grady2hig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you a dealer? I don’t believe you can properly inspect a weld by a 2d picture sent by e-mail and if so why not be willing to sign a name to it!
I'm just saying, the act of removing the recall from the VIN would imply FCA okay'd the weld...so they'd be responsible if it failed. The dealer has nothing to do with it...they shouldn't have to sign anything or take the liability. No, I'm not a dealer.

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Guess it was done before I purchased it. I’m assuming I need to check the welds..??

B4E62599-5775-4E06-8F04-EB0D02A971D4.png
For those that had frames numbers within the recall range and passed without needing a reweld repair, what does your online recall status state? Does it state “repaired” or something else, such as “passed”?

“Repaired” implies something was actually repaired although Jeep might be using this term for a Jeep that required no repair.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
For those that had frames numbers within the recall range and passed without needing a reweld repair, what does your online recall status state? Does it state “repaired” or something else, such as “passed”?

“Repaired” implies something was actually repaired although Jeep might be using this term for a Jeep that required no repair.
This was the follow up question that I had. I looked at my welds and they don’t appear to have had any rework done. I work in a machine shop/weld shop so I would know.. so I “assume” they are using this as a blanket statement meaning it’s “good” whether it was actually reworked or not.. my weld on the passenger side is VERY porous though so I may need to follow up with the dealership.. I’ll take photos tomorrow so you can see.

FuriousEwok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU, Liberty KK, Cherokee XJ
I guess those service techs don’t know how to read a recall bulletin.
Yes, my thoughts exactly. So first they told me it failed. Then when they actually figured out the procedures to follow, they finally came back 4 days later to tell me it has passed and nothing needs to be done. 4 days without my Jeep. I hope they are right because this has been a giant freakin' waste of time.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

The Jeep iPhone app previously showed “recall ua5” was not completed. Now it shows nothing. No history of it. Maybe the website shows more...
Sponsored