Sponsored

Track bar frame weld issue recall! [Updated with official UA5 recall notice w/ repair procedure]

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is not on the list, welds look crappy but solid as far as I can tell using a slag hammer

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
The first mod Im buying when I get my JL is the trackbar reinforcement bracket from Rusty's. I don't trust that weld.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Ya I may just
The first mod Im buying when I get my JL is the trackbar reinforcement bracket from Rusty's. I don't trust that weld.
buy that anyway. Would probably be better than waiting around for FCA

Sponsored

Highonlyfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2011 JKU
Admin note: updated with more info regarding the call.

FCA has started the recall UA5 for the track bar weld issue. This affects about 18,000 JL Wranglers. The issue exists on about 4 percent of the recalled vehicles, says FCA. Some of the defective JL's haven’t been sold yet, FCA ordered dealers to halt sales of the recalled Wranglers until vehicles are inspected and repaired, if needed.

You can check to see if your vehicle has been recalled at: https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehicle/recalls/search.html

View attachment 95902
My rubicon isnt affected by the recall. The main track bar weld has some roll to it, but isnt something im to concerned about.

Build date 8/8/2018

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Ya I may just

buy that anyway. Would probably be better than waiting around for FCA
I agree. That was the point of my post....for all those that say "mine looks fine"....remember, a trackbar weld (forget onroad, Im talking about offroad) is a catastrophic failure that will leave you stranded. If you want to really wheel your jeep, and go deep into the wilderness, you need to upgrade the reliability as much as possible, addressing any OEM weakpoints, and this is one of them. On road, it will just kill you in a slow fiery death.

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
Is there any rhyme or reason with build dates affected? I'm a really early build date, (arrived in mid January 18, ordered in like November/17)...

Rockstar08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Should only have said for model year 2018 as there has not been even one 2019 even made yet!

Sponsored

GordonZoo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram ED
Occupation
Most Everything
Well I'm part of the recall but I had done an undercoat with Wax-Oil. It's like a hard Tar. Not sure if they can inspect with that on it.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Built 5/23 at 1500 and I'm on the recall list...two door Rubicon. I couldn't get a picture of the weld by the pitman arm.

IMG_20181005_221707.jpg
IMG_20181005_221726.jpg
IMG_20181005_221825.jpg

Last edited:

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
I’m curious to see if this goes beyond the control arm welds in this recall.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I see 4 ways this could go down for affected jeeps:
1. Re-weld...we've seen this with another member and it didn't turn out well
2. Track Bar Bracket Reinforcement. We see this on the Ram recall....problem is, they are using riv nuts which aren't that strong.
3. Replacement of the entire trackbar bracket with a stronger bracket that is gussetted and welded in. Might be troublesome with the galvanized frame
4. Buyback and replacement of affected jeeps. Problem here is that any mods you've done at least the labor are lost. Benefit is that you get to reorder a new one that you might like better and you'd have gotten free miles from your old one.
Really depends how the buy back works. Buy backs under lemon law in certain States reimburse for both parts and labor of mods if you provide receipts. The reimbursement might have a cap on amount paid out though. Paint protection Film, window tint, wheels, tires, suspension, might be fully reimbursable. A buy back might also require you pay a fair cost for every mile driven. It's usually very fair. It's usually X-cents per mile.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link