Sponsored

Track bar frame weld issue recall! [Updated with official UA5 recall notice w/ repair procedure]

ring_zero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray JLUR
Took my JLUR to the dealership on Friday of last week to have them inspect the track bar bracket welds. Just picked my JL up today. They gave it a clean bill of health.

Frame Build Date - 5/21 (141)
Jeep Assembly/Build Date - 5/22

The service advisor told me that very few JL's, that fall within the identified frame build date/vehicle assembly date, are affected. Do I believe him? I don't know - maybe?

Anyway, I have a copy of my work order that clearly states my vehicle has passed the UA5 recall inspection. So FCA is now liable, under the law, for any malfunctions, injuries or God forbid deaths that may occur due to a track bar bracket weld failure.

Screen Shot 2018-10-22 at 4.27.27 PM.JPG
Sponsored

NCJeepn73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU, Bld date: 2/2018
Occupation
Technical SEO & Web Development
Took my JLUR to the dealership on Friday of last week to have them inspect the track bar bracket welds. Just picked my JL up today. They gave it a clean bill of health.

Frame Build Date - 5/21 (141)
Jeep Assembly/Build Date - 5/22

The service advisor told me that very few JL's, that fall within the identified frame build date/vehicle assembly date, are affected. Do I believe him? I don't know - maybe?

Anyway, I have a copy of my work order that clearly states my vehicle has passed the UA5 recall inspection. So FCA is now liable, under the law, for any malfunctions, injuries or God forbid deaths that may occur due to a track bar bracket weld failure.

Screen Shot 2018-10-22 at 4.27.27 PM.JPG
Don't believe them. I call BS and I believe several top auto safety organizations do too.

Prime example... my build was 2-14-18 and my frame stamp is "044."

My original weld is below (pic). So, I'm way out of the scope of the frame stamp and build date for the track bar bracket recall. Other owners have shown pictures from similar build date JLs with similar, horrible welds. Let's call this what it is... either FCA has no real idea of the frames effected, or there is another reason this recall isn't being expanded to include many tens of thousands more vehicled.

20180710_111914.jpg

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Don't believe them. I call BS and I believe several top auto safety organizations do too.

Prime example... my build was 2-14-18 and my frame stamp is "044."

My original weld is below (pic). So, I'm way out of the scope of the frame stamp and build date for the track bar bracket recall. Other owners have shown pictures from similar build date JLs with similar, horrible welds. Let's call this what it is... either FCA has no real idea of the frames effected, or there is another reason this recall isn't being expanded to include many tens of thousands more vehicled.

20180710_111914.jpg
The UA5 recall only refers to ā€œwelds located off the seamā€. It does not address crappy weld jobs, but it should.

rboss was the first member to post about bracket failure. His build was Jan. He reported failure in April. The other 3 reported failures were June builds I believe.

It would be interesting to know if FCA would pass your weld in the pic since it appears to be on the seam.

NCJeepn73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU, Bld date: 2/2018
Occupation
Technical SEO & Web Development
The UA5 recall only refers to ā€œwelds located off the seamā€. It does not address crappy weld jobs, but it should.

rboss was the first member to post about bracket failure. His build was Jan. He reported failure in April. The other 3 reported failures were June builds I believe.

It would be interesting to know if FCA would pass your weld in the pic since it appears to be on the seam.
Yeah, it really should include more than just welds off seam. After my track bar bracket pics were sent to FCA they decided they were bad enough to get them re-welded and that doesn't even include the other bad welds on the rear sway bar, frame, etc. that were also determined they needed re-welding at the same time.

My CWIs said that I had a strong case for a lawsuit per the weld specifications FCA uses for allowable frame welds.

Zane6842

First Name
Zane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered my JL in February 2018, they ordered it with the wrong options and had to re-order it. I was on the fence to wait for 2019 to re-order or to re-order the correct 2018 so I went to the "senior" service advisor in the service department and asked for his thoughts about waiting to 2019 and are there any problems with the 2018 JL to his knowledge. He said "we already have 2019 Wranglers". When I told him that is impossible, he walked me to the overflow lots of extra vehicles and said "see, the ones with the curves around the headlights are 2019s". I said, no, those are 2018 JLs and I explained how to identify a 2018 JK vs 2018 JL. He argued back that he was right so I walked him to the sticker and pointed out "2018". He said "oh".
Yeah, it really should include more than just welds off seam. After my track bar bracket pics were sent to FCA they decided they were bad enough to get them re-welded and that doesn't even include the other bad welds on the rear sway bar, frame, etc. that were also determined they needed re-welding at the same time.

My CWIs said that I had a strong case for a lawsuit per the weld specifications FCA uses for allowable frame welds.
I'm going through this weld ordeal myself. I've owned my JL for 4 weeks today with 1 week of it being at the dealership where it sits today with no update on a resolution. It only has 147 miles on it. The "replacement" jeep has the same bad welds is what I'm being told over the phone. So my question is what if they want to "re-weld" the frame? Do you think that is a reasonable thing to do being that it is brand new? Any Autonation CDJR peeps on here? Anyone have the North Texas Regional Service Reps info? Anyone know of CWIs in DFW area that would inspect a jeep?

Sponsored

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
If you are not happy a good dealer will initiate a buyback process and put you in contact with the regional customer service manager

Zane6842

First Name
Zane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
If you are not happy a good dealer will initiate a buyback process and put you in contact with the regional customer service manager
I've requested a replacement jeep with better frame welds. The "good dealer" has yet to communicate their plan. I went by today because the loaner jeeps paper tags expired. No one had an update for me. I can only assume they are waiting for corporate to give the "yay" or "nay"? I'm in the medical field, not the welding field or car dealer field. I'd feel different if the process was explained to me. Instead I feel uncomfortable as the consumer in fear of getting hosed by the deal. Truly feel like David against Goliath and not what I expected for $40,000 purchase.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
I've requested a replacement jeep with better frame welds. The "good dealer" has yet to communicate their plan. I went by today because the loaner jeeps paper tags expired. No one had an update for me. I can only assume they are waiting for corporate to give the "yay" or "nay"? I'm in the medical field, not the welding field or car dealer field. I'd feel different if the process was explained to me. Instead I feel uncomfortable as the consumer in fear of getting hosed by the deal. Truly feel like David against Goliath and not what I expected for $40,000 purchase.
It is David vs Goliath. Therefore we should hold back our punches. If you the customer are going to win you got to go No Holds Barred. Contact local media newspapers NHSTA, lawyers, record your conversations.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I'm in the medical field, not the welding field or car dealer field.
Medical is scientific objectivity ... car dealer is flim flam .

Mechanical controls are objectivity ... electronic controls or robots are weirdly screwed up .

Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
It is David vs Goliath. Therefore we should hold back our punches. If you the customer are going to win you got to go No Holds Barred. Contact local media newspapers NHSTA, lawyers, record your conversations.
Strength , spirit , and guts ! Dealers better not mess with @Capt-Zoom .

Zane6842

First Name
Zane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Strength , spirit , and guts ! Dealers better not mess with @Capt-Zoom .
Amen!!! @old8tora @Capt-Zoom I've been communicating with the NHTSA engineer via email with photos. Lemon lawyer says document everything. More info here for Texas folks. https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/consumer-protection/lemon-law

I have friends in the news media, just holding off on the dealers response this week with a resolution before I go full blown public with it. I'm learning a bit deal about my patience for sure.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Amen!!! @old8tora @Capt-Zoom I've been communicating with the NHTSA engineer via email with photos. Lemon lawyer says document everything. More info here for Texas folks. https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/consumer-protection/lemon-law

I have friends in the news media, just holding off on the dealers response this week with a resolution before I go full blown public with it. I'm learning a bit deal about my patience for sure.
Another documentation is photographs ! For example , your Jeep sitting on a lot , untouched . If they ask why are you taking photos , you can smile .

Don't lose your cool or get angry . Be stoic like Gary Cooper .

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

Did you tell the dealer you are you going to the media if you donā€™t get a fair response? If there is an online version of the media report, be sure to post the link here so we can all share it via Google reviews, FB, comments on JL review article comment sections, etc. x5,000. This will also build a bunch of inbound links to it so it shows up on top of Google search results.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Did you tell the dealer you are you going to the media if you donā€™t get a fair response? If there is an online version of the media report, be sure to post the link here so we can all share it via Google reviews, FB, comments on JL review article comment sections, etc. x5,000. This will also build a bunch of inbound links to it so it shows up on top of Google search results.
Also , tell Trump .
Sponsored