Sponsored

Track bar frame weld issue recall! [Updated with official UA5 recall notice w/ repair procedure]

NCJeepn73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU, Bld date: 2/2018
Occupation
Technical SEO & Web Development
Seriously how can you assume they are going to take care of it when you know what they are doing about the welds?
Yeah, I'm trying to get that through my head. I know the really questionable welds, like track bar bracket and sway bar, look pretty good and for the most part most of the others look OK. But you're right. FCA isn't going to do anything that doesn't make them money and will do the least amount to help its customers as possible.
Sponsored

NCJeepn73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
@NCJeepn73 ... Fender and center dash are both replaceable. Don't worry about those items ... simply make it a condition of the sale (in writing) that they will be replaced or repaired if you're comfortable with that. Remember, if you turn it down, they'll have to fix those items before anyone else will buy it.

You're probably not going to get perfect welds ... go look at the JK models and that may help you feel better about how they look on the JL you're contemplating. Then the final hurtle is the steering. Again, get a commitment (in writing if possible) that they will work the "fix your steering steps" that @jeremyjeep has been posting. Take the list along.

If you're still on the fence, turn the discussion around. Tell them: "these are the things you need to commit to performing in order for me to be comfortable buying the Jeep. Or, do you want to return my money, let me go on my way, and sell it to someone else?" That makes them responsible for deciding ... if they're not committed, you probably should consider not taking the Jeep anyway.

As usual, my advise is worth what you paid for it ... good luck ... we're rooting for you to be satisfied.
I think, as of right now, this will be my route to take. I'll ask for the few things to be fixed and fixed right. Then, I'll ask for an extended warranty on the battery since it's already had a dead one that has no clear answer on how it died.

I'll also ask the dealership to check all the steering items to address the loose steering.

I will continue working with the NHTSA engineers. They have emailed and want to know about my replacement and the welds and steering on the new vehicle.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Reject it is my vote. Once I saw that center dash and moreover the fender scratched I would not accept it at all. And that's before realizing the steering is bad.
I have to agree. My 2dr has perfect steering and satisfactory welds all around (and I am on the recall list). My point is that there are issue free JL’s coming off the line. No reason you should settle for anything less.

(I wonder if the 4drs have more issues? Most of the complaints, here, are for 4drs. That could simply be because they sell 9x as many of them, though.)

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Yep, rust on the pitman arm. Rust in several places on the frame too. Not bad though. I have a few cans of high quality rust spray. I'd just hit those areas with a little light sandpaper and coat really well... not that anyone should have to do this to a brand new vehicle with 17 miles on it. :-/

It is scratches on the dash gauge panel. I can see clearly where they put a tool under it to pry it loose. I thought maybe it was pulled back off at the factory because something wasn't plugged in all the way, and maybe just not snapped back into place. But the scratches make it seem clumsy to me, like someone pried it off not having the right tools or knowing what they were doing.

I've received no answers as to why the battery died. Just that a new one was put on. I pushed all the fuses down. But there are jumper cable scratches in the terminal cords where they obviously tried to jump it. I don't think I'll get a clear answer on that one unfortunately.
This is rediculous. That jeep should be immaculent. Makes me worried about my replacement.

Sponsored

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Reject it is my vote. Once I saw that center dash and moreover the fender scratched I would not accept it at all. And that's before realizing the steering
I think, as of right now, this will be my route to take. I'll ask for the few things to be fixed and fixed right. Then, I'll ask for an extended warranty on the battery since it's already had a dead one that has no clear answer on how it died.

I'll also ask the dealership to check all the steering items to address the loose steering.

I will continue working with the NHTSA engineers. They have emailed and want to know about my replacement and the welds and steering on the new vehicle.
If keeping id force them into lifetime warranty, replace scratch componends, steering fix, and frame/pittman paint touchups.

rjrubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Don’t take that specific one ask for another one especially seeing the dash, scratches, and steering issues. You’re already scorned with the first one failing and going to drive yourself crazy if you do take it always worrying about it breaking down. I wouldn’t take it if it were me. Maybe you can wait it out if possible and demand a 19 MY for the inconvenience.

I guess I’ve been lucky so far (knock on wood) no steering issues and no recall.

OP
OP
LABLUE

LABLUE

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 Ram 1500 North edition
Occupation
CDJR Master Tech
Exactly so ! I would not even let the dealership morons pre-inspect my Jeep after it came off the transport truck . I took both keys , locked my Jeep , and went inside for the paperwork and payment .
I call bullshit!!!! Every new vehicle delivered to a dealer has to have an inspection. They are not supposed to be sold until prepped. Everything from Demons to Renegades have PDI performed. I'm sure you filled out the PDI form and filled it properly too.

NCJeepn73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
If keeping id force them into lifetime warranty, replace scratch componends, steering fix, and frame/pittman paint touchups.
I'm listing all issues and asking for them to be addressed and fixed. It's really disheartening that the vehicle wasn't gone over with a fine-toothed comb to address any possible issues. I know it's a Jeep. It'll get muddy, scratched, and won't be new for long. But that's not the point when you're paying for something that is brand new.

The vehicle was parked around the back side of the dealership when I inspected it. I had to pull a tarp out of my current JL and crawl around under it to inspect the welds. I asked a couple of times prior to showing up about the possibility of using a lift to view the welds for 5-10 minutes tops. I guess they could not spare one. I didn't even feel like asking again after I got there.

I have stage IV cancer. I am not handicap. I don't ask for favors or handouts and I never will. I still like to think I'm pretty active and mobile. But crawling around under the vehicle on a tarp for 30 minutes wasn't too fun for my stomach and back. :(

------------------------

After talking it over with my wife, I/we decided that if they can address the things that need to be fixed, including Brandon Haneline's proposed steering fixes () and also the steps listed in this thread (https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...has-play-and-drifts.3691/page-134#post-415778), then I will accept the replacement.

If I don't accept it, then I have to turn my current one in, do the paperwork for surrendering it, wait for all the trade-in and down payment monies, and then likely wait for a Toyota 4runner TRD Pro for 6 to 8 weeks. That is the only comparable vehicle I like (barring its sub-standard interior). I'm getting to the end of my line with dealing with all this, as could be expected. I just want it to be right, given some reassurances/warranty, and get on with other important things in my life... hopefully.

Holymoly1963

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3, Wrangler JL Sport with bad steering
So, I finally got to inspect the replacement JLUR yesterday afternoon. The welds looked considerably better than my current one but still not that great in several areas. I believe the welds are "good" enough to pass though.

However, the steering is another story. I test drove it about 10 miles and the wandering and dead zone is worse than the current Jeep. I'm just really surprised that my first build date was 2-14-18 and the new replacement build date is mid-to-late September and shows zero improvement for the steering and it actually feels worse. These steering boxes are complete junk imo.

I'm really on the fence as to whether or not I'm going to accept the replacement and may just turn in my current JLUR for reimbursement.

On a related note, the replacement sat with an apparent dead battery for nearly two weeks and the battery was replaced. Not sure why it was dead in the first place. Not reassured much by simply not knowing either way.

Also, the dash main gauge control panel, where the A/C and other controls are located, seems to have been pulled out and not properly snapped back in. That gauge control panel has some scratches on it too. The front fender is also scratched. A few pics attached. Kind of a bummer that the brand new replacement has issues, scratches, and an unknown answer for the dead battery before even taking delivery.

At least the track bar bracket weld seems decent enough.

Not trying to be picky. But you would think that, with as much hassle and headache this has all been over the past 3 months, they would at least attempt to make sure the replacement is in great shape upon delivery.

20181019_173704.jpg

20181019_172537.jpg

20181019_173308.jpg

20181019_172720.jpg

20181019_172151.jpg

20181019_171345.jpg

20181019_171319.jpg

20181019_171327.jpg

20181019_180834.jpg
The unbelievably crappy attention to detail has become reality. As our President would say.....sad.

Sponsored

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
Since you are both in NC maybe the jeep informant can fix your steering?

I got lucky with my steering I move the wheel a fraction and the tires move,

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How does FCA propose to fix JL steering ? I've seen , at last count , over 10 possible fixes on this forum and on youtube .
I would make them do them all till the issue was fixed. Much like jeep informer did.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I call bullshit!!!! Every new vehicle delivered to a dealer has to have an inspection. They are not supposed to be sold until prepped. Everything from Demons to Renegades have PDI performed. I'm sure you filled out the PDI form and filled it properly too.
I have yet to have a PDI go right. When i buy a vehicle there are specific orders to be followedfrom me. Like no dealer stickers, lic plate frames, no drilling the front bmper, proper detail. Not once have they done it right. Guess what each time its sent back or refused outright. On my JL they drilled the front bumper and added lic plate. I made them replace the whole bumper. PDI is only as good as the person doing it and imho most of them dont read instrutions and cut every corner they can.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The correct fix is a working mechanical design in the first place , such as all vehicles had until now . Let's go back in time to what worked fine .
Exactly. Too much complexity and electronic bs in these jeeps. How about just making something solid...that works... and doesnt break in a week.
Sponsored