Sponsored

Track bar frame weld issue recall! [Updated with official UA5 recall notice w/ repair procedure]

porcusRex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru
I see 4 ways this could go down for affected jeeps:
1. Re-weld...we've seen this with another member and it didn't turn out well
2. Track Bar Bracket Reinforcement. We see this on the Ram recall....problem is, they are using riv nuts which aren't that strong.
3. Replacement of the entire trackbar bracket with a stronger bracket that is gussetted and welded in. Might be troublesome with the galvanized frame
4. Buyback and replacement of affected jeeps. Problem here is that any mods you've done at least the labor are lost. Benefit is that you get to reorder a new one that you might like better and you'd have gotten free miles from your old one.
my guess is the fix wont be a re-weld. seems like i heard its not that simple as having some welder come in and 'touch it up'. i would guess the ram type solution is what you will see (a bracket of some sort).

i would be hesitant about aftermarket solutions. for all kinds of reasons. i would bet my life (and thats what your are gambling) on a part engineered by FCA before some new aftermarket part.

and how about the statement it may cause you to loose control suddenly and crash. like in crash and maybe die, or your wife crashes and maybe dies or maybe your whole family dies when it lets go on a very busy interstate and you end up hitting a retaining wall like a stockcar crash.

so the implication is... you dont drive it until its fixed.. and who knows when that will be. sounds to me like a potential lemon law candidate.

and why both 2018s and 2019s. there is a unifying something. a welding robot that went in and out of spec, a welding frame that had issues. there is one thing that unifies the recall and that one thing resides at the location where the frames were built prior to arriving at final assembly.

and you gotta wonder.. if they fix the track bar.. are there potential issues with other welds done at the same time on the same frame? or is welding done in stages, and is one of the stages the track bar attachment? and the others are OK?

me, id be talking to a lawyer about lemon lawing my jeep if it was on the recall list and they dont know what the fix is going to be and what it will entail.
Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Benefit is that you get to reorder a new one that you might like better and you'd have gotten free miles from your old one.
Another "benefit" was you got a lot of free stress , aggravation , and trouble , from the welds on your old one .

Think of it this way : you are a better person today because of all the hassle of the welds on your old one .

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
and why both 2018s and 2019s. there is a unifying something. a welding robot that went in and out of spec, a welding frame that had issues. there is one thing that unifies the recall and that one thing resides at the location where the frames were built prior to arriving at final assembly.

and you gotta wonder.. if they fix the track bar.. are there potential issues with other welds done at the same time on the same frame? or is welding done in stages, and is one of the stages the track bar attachment? and the others are OK?
Very perceptive . Another question : Why couldn't the frame welds have been inspected before the vehicle was assembled ?

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Another "benefit" was you got a lot of free stress , aggravation , and trouble , from the welds on your old one .

Think of it this way : you are a better person today because of all the hassle of the welds on your old one .
I wouldnt say i am a better person but am happy that i stood up to the trolls and helped inform others. I hated the stress and aggrivation.

Sponsored

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Very perceptive . Another question : Why couldn't the frame welds have been inspected before the vehicle was assembled ?
They were supposed to be. But in at least one case an inspecto may have been told to grenlight them because production was behind. According to the NHTSA report.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I wouldnt say i am a better person but am happy that i stood up to the trolls and helped inform others. I hated the stress and aggrivation.
In the Army , that's called " guts and class " . Others owe you .

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
They were supposed to be. But in at least one case an inspecto may have been told to grenlight them because production was behind. According to the NHTSA report.

But that's bad . Someone ought to tell Mike Manley , CEO .

Lar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I'm having problems finding the mfg dates affected. Can anyone tell me ? I have an April 2018 build by the sticker on the door frame. ..

Thanks

Sponsored

Catwlcd

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Checked mine today when I found out that it was on the list for repair and the dealer had no idea about it.

Looks like they let a 4 year old with fix mine at the factory or something, these welds are terrible

IMG_20181005_155916.jpg

You can see the factory weld that appears to have missed the seam and this was how it was fixed? from the looks of it it was all done before pain, i cant find any grind marks

Last edited:

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Checked mine today when I found out that it was on the list for repair and the dealer had no idea about it.

Looks like they let a 4 year old with fix mine at the factory or something, these welds are terrible

IMG_20181005_155916.jpg
That looks like shit compared to mine and I’m on the list too and I have a July 18’ build date.

BF42408F-6A99-44F3-9B8E-C6F5CFC40FAF.jpeg

gekkota

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Wow, that one above is pretty scary. Carbonized even. The back side of mine is not exactly confidence inspiring - I'm sure its "fine".

jeep2.jpg

jeep3.jpg

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
Update

Update Oct. 5, 2018 5:52 p.m. ET: FCA says the recall population includes approximately 18,000 vehicles, which will all be inspected. Of those, the company estimates that 4 percent (roughly 720 vehicles) “may have the issue.”
Sponsored