Sponsored

Track bar frame weld issue recall! [Updated with official UA5 recall notice w/ repair procedure]

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I'm shocked but not surprised. The first few hundred JL's made all had to be scrapped because of bad welds. Everything in the system after body shop all had to be sent to the shredder. We didn't run for a few days ehilw they assessed the situation and "fixed" to the problem.
Thanks for the information . Yep , they fixed the problem all right .

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
So at this point theres not current rush to go into dealership would you say? I'm just wondering if I should wait for it to play out and get notified or proactively go in.
Why not everyone go in all at the same time ? Would get someone's attention , si ?

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
They shouldn’t. They knew well ahead of time there was a trackbar issue.
Yep , everyone knew , everyone knows , and everyone will know ; but it does not follow that anyone fixed anything .

dangerz

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
I'm confused about how only some JLs are impacted. If they had to remove some current vehicles, and a bunch of older vehicles had the problem, what about the vehicles in the middle? How did we magically escape this problem?

Sponsored

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
For those who think their welds are good double check for penetration. They might still be bad.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
I'm confused about how only some JLs are impacted. If they had to remove some current vehicles, and a bunch of older vehicles had the problem, what about the vehicles in the middle? How did we magically escape this problem?
Thats what concerns me. My Jeep was built 7/03/18 and I'm on the list. At least to me, my welds look ok but who knows.

Sponsored

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thats what concerns me. My Jeep was built 7/03/18 and I'm on the list. At least to me, my welds look ok but who knows.
You also have to look at the penetration, if there was porosity, and if it is aligned correctly. On mine the welds weren't completed...they are short.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I see 4 ways this could go down for affected jeeps:
1. Re-weld...we've seen this with another member and it didn't turn out well
2. Track Bar Bracket Reinforcement. We see this on the Ram recall....problem is, they are using riv nuts which aren't that strong.
3. Replacement of the entire trackbar bracket with a stronger bracket that is gussetted and welded in. Might be troublesome with the galvanized frame
4. Buyback and replacement of affected jeeps. Problem here is that any mods you've done at least the labor are lost. Benefit is that you get to reorder a new one that you might like better and you'd have gotten free miles from your old one.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
You also have to look at the penetration, if there was porosity, and if it is aligned correctly. On mine the welds weren't completed...they are short.
How can you tell penetration unless you do an X-ray scan?

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
Replacing the bar would be easiest perhaps. Why is a galvanized frame hard to weld?
Were the Jk frames not galvanized ?
Sponsored