Sponsored

Track bar braces

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Waiting on steering fix from dealer before doing the Clayton Overland lift. While I'm on 35's now and will probably stay that way, I'm looking to beef up the front. Thinking a front track bar brace is on the menu. Question is about the Synergy versus Rancho, Rusty's and the rest. Is the sector shaft part of the brace really a necessity?
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Waiting on steering fix from dealer before doing the Clayton Overland lift. While I'm on 35's now and will probably stay that way, I'm looking to beef up the front. Thinking a front track bar brace is on the menu. Question is about the Synergy versus Rancho, Rusty's and the rest. Is the sector shaft part of the brace really a necessity?
I think of it as more like insurance more than a necessity. I like having it on since I’m reinforcing everything around it. But since I’ve never seen or heard of pitman failing with or without it, I don’t have any science to back it up. It just makes me feel better.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I will be using the Synergy brace, but cutting the "ears" off that hold the sector shaft brace so in the end, it is a frame brace only.

I do not trust the sector brace even after installing a set screw to hold the bushing. There is a design problem in that the aluminum should be steel and the bearing should have a grease groove so the grease has a place to go instead of squirting out near the grease zerk OR be a sealed bearing.

Brian0128

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 Toyota TRD PRO
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
We sold our Synergy NIB before install and will be using Rancho or Rusty’s.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I also installed the Synergy brace as a form of insurance, especially since I'm running 37's in the rocks. While the bushing (their first design) did rotate within 2k miles, I installed a set screw and it has not rotated in over 6k miles.

My opinion is if you think you're going to be on trails where you might be applying a lot of steering force/leverage to your steering system, then strengthening the steering system is smart. This would include a TB brace, and heavier duty tie rod and drag link assemblies. As far as the sector shaft brace, you probably don't need it for 35's. I feel better having it though.

Sponsored

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
I will be using the Synergy brace, but cutting the "ears" off that hold the sector shaft brace so in the end, it is a frame brace only.

I do not trust the sector brace even after installing a set screw to hold the bushing. There is a design problem in that the aluminum should be steel and the bearing should have a grease groove so the grease has a place to go instead of squirting out near the grease zerk OR be a sealed bearing.
There's no need to cut the "ears" off. You can install just the brace and leave them on since it will not affect anything.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase

BadA$$Rubi

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase

Word!!

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX

I first installed the Synergy brace but immediately removed the sector shaft support (the sector shaft section was making a clicking noise due to the bushing not being aligned from Synergy and not allowing it to be greased...and this was just in my garage on jack stands!) and I then starting thinking what an overall backyard-mechanic type engineering design the Synergy really was...

I still wanted some reinforcement for the frame side track bar mount and steering gearbox-mostly just for a little extra peace of mind while running 35's on Arizona's rocky trails...I wound up going with the Rancho support and very happy with it. Fit perfectly, does not have the lower bolt like Synergy's that WILL interfere with most aftermarket track bars and after all the Rancho support bolts were fully torqued, you did NOT need a hammer to slide the track bar bolt through the support brace!

Rusty's and Steer Smarts also make track bar/frame side steering box supports that receive good feedback. There IS a reason Rancho, Rusty's and Steer Smarts did NOT include a 'sector shaft bearing support'...

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
There's no need to cut the "ears" off. You can install just the brace and leave them on since it will not affect anything.
Nah--I am cutting them off and having the entire thing powder coated. I would not want a "frankenstein" on the Grinch :LOL:

OP
OP
RedundanT

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Good input, that's what I was looking for. Just hope I can get the wayward steering fixed soon.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Rusty's for $80 for the win. Works great.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Naive question: My 2021 JLURD has the "new" cast iron steering box, but I still have a lot of steering wheel play compared to my previous JKs. Will Rusty's brace help?
Sponsored