Sponsored

Trac-Lok vs Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle Options

DanFelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
I have a question about the functional difference between the Trac-Lok Rear Axle and the Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle options.

In the manual (p 321) it states:

"The Trac-Lok rear axle provides a constant driving force to both rear wheels and reduces wheel spin caused by the loss of traction at one driving wheel. If traction differs between the two rear wheels, the differential automatically proportions the usable torque by providing more torque to the wheel that has traction."

There is no specific description in the manual for the Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle but the feature seems to suggest the same function as the Trac-Lok. The only difference I can see is that the Trac-Lok has an on-demand button. I have the Anti-Spin DRA option on my Sport S.

And on page 316, describing the 4H and 4L trans on all JLs:

"In the event that additional traction is required, the transfer case 4H and 4L positions can be used to lock the front and rear driveshafts together, forcing the front and rear wheels to rotate at the same speed."

Any clarity would be appreciated. Thx. Dan
Sponsored

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
The manual is clear as mud. Trac-Lok is the "anti spin" differential....it's FCA's brand name for their LSD (limited slip differential).

The last quote is discussing the fact that the tcase (not the axle) acts as what some manufacturers call a "locked center differential" in that power is split evenly, 50/50 between the front and rear driveshafts.

The two concepts are separate.
So if you have the center differential locked and back right wheel has no traction I get that the back left will get no power. But will the front wheels get power if one of the back wheels has no traction?

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
Yes...front wheels still get power.
I mentioned a “locked center diff” months ago and people went nuts and said i had no clue what i was talking about. Yes Track Lock is limited spin, clutch pack rear. I had the same set up on a tahoe and a Silverado and its a decemt system for low traction street driving.
Sponsored