Sponsored

TPMS Wheel sensors

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
I ordered a set. Hope they work. I bought the Jeep 17" Beadlock wheels with 35" Toyo Open Country RT that are the same OEM ply and load rating so they would have to cover any issues. Jeep is the one that says 35's fit the Rubicon and sells the lift. I will put them on when their 2" lift comes out to fit the diesel.
You will stand the best chance to get a dealer to help with that set up. Good luck. We have spent so much time on the JL’s. I am sure eventually they will figure it out. Sadly not going to be a software fix but probably a hardware issue and chances of them fixing all the older ones like mine is slim to none.

It sucks because we deal with just about every car, year, make and model and all have had a fix. Not this one. Still hit or miss if they work on the JL.
Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Probably messing them up. TPMS is very finicky and basic RF. If it is sending to one receiver it certainly won’t send to both usually. Also depending on the receiver you could get a PSI reading but if the signal is infrequent it won’t turn the light off. That’s what is happening to a lot. You will get the correct PSI reading on the EVIC but the light stays on.
I’ve got a tazer to deal with the warnings. Just thought it was odd that three would show a dash and one shows a 0psi reading while they’re all clearly transmitting accurate non-zero numbers. At any rate, hopefully the 2020 variant OEMs work with my AEV wheels/lift and Milestar 37s.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve got a tazer to deal with the warnings. Just thought it was odd that three would show a dash and one shows a 0psi reading while they’re all clearly transmitting accurate non-zero numbers. At any rate, hopefully the 2020 variant OEMs work with my AEV wheels/lift and Milestar 37s.
Sorry I miss understood you. If three are showing a value and one is not there could be a couple things wrong. Your receiver could be picking up the spare and that one would be asleep because it is not rolling. Also that one could be dead. Although rare we have seen it. One one to try it out without a tool is to remove the spare. Leave it in the garage and go drive around for a few miles. That will wake up the TPMS and then they will transmit. Hope that helps.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
@Goin2drt I bought a winter setup from Discount Tire for my wife's 2020 Wrangler diesel. The Jeep hasn't arrived yet and these wheels and tires are mounted and balanced, and currently sitting in the garage. I have no clue what sensors Discount tire put in, nor if they will work, after reading this thread I doubt they will.

What would you suggest I do? I bought this setup in January, and there is zero chance I will use them until next winter. But I want to know they work right......

I suppose I can just throw them on and run them for a few miles to know if they will work or not after the Jeep gets here. It just kinda sounds like you already have it figured out though and could possibly save me the hassle.

The setup is 315/70r17 Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT3's on 17x9 Venomrex 501's

Discount has always been good to work with, but I really don't want to put everything off until next winter. What would you do?

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Compression-Ignition Discount Tire uses programmable sensors. In every other application they are great, I use, sell and program a ton. With the Jeep it has been hit or miss and breaking those down and swapping is the last thing you want to do. Here is what I would do.

Remove the spare and leave in the garage, Put on the wheels and tires and drive around for a few miles. If they register and the light goes off you will be good. If they don't then your option is to head down the rabbit hole ;-)

Swap those TPMS for Direct Fit sensors (Schrader 20398 or 29117 as mentioned above based on your vin/OE part #) Those will have the best chance of working.

Also there is ZERO different between the 20398/29117 and a factory OE sensor. they are literally made at the same time. One just gets the Manufacturer part# engraved and the other the Schrader generic number.

Sponsored

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel
I just ordered a wheel/tire package through Doug from Discount Tire last week. He’s using this sensor:
upload_2020-3-31_9-59-1.png

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guarantee that is a 29117. “OE ref part” it is referring to the OE part number. Highly unlikely they are buying an OE sensor from the dealer. They buy direct from Schrader so Schrader is supplying them with the direct fit equivalent (29117) Since the description says 433 and not dual band that leads me to believe it is a direct fit sensor and not a programmable one that is often used. Since they come mounted in the tire no way of knowing unless they send you a pic of the sensor before installing.

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel
Guarantee that is a 29117. “OE ref part” it is referring to the OE part number. Highly unlikely they are buying an OE sensor from the dealer. They buy direct from Schrader so Schrader is supplying them with the direct fit equivalent (29117) Since the description says 433 and not dual band that leads me to believe it is a direct fit sensor and not a programmable one that is often used. Since they come mounted in the tire no way of knowing unless they send you a pic of the sensor before installing.
Yes, if I understood Doug correctly, they are using the single band (433) Schrader equivalent. Here is what his corporate explained regarding the sensors (I believe this agrees with what info you’ve shared, correct?):

Hello, I know you didn’t ask for follow up, but I think it is needed. The 2020 protocol (language) is the same as the previous years, but the superseded sensor is now capable of Tire Fill Alert. From what I can see (also confirmed by our partner Dill), the Wrangler doesn’t use the TFA function so even though the newer sensor is used, the older sensor still works as intended.

diesel_jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4bt Cj
Ordered up the el-cheapo eBay sensors
56029398AB Hopefully they work... Having them installed now

2020 Diesel JL

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 CJ3B Diesel, 2018 Camaro Hot Wheels Convertible, 2018 Dodge 3500 Diesel, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide White, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide Black, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
General Manager / Owner of CraneWorks Orlando
Vehicle Showcase
You will stand the best chance to get a dealer to help with that set up. Good luck. We have spent so much time on the JL’s. I am sure eventually they will figure it out. Sadly not going to be a software fix but probably a hardware issue and chances of them fixing all the older ones like mine is slim to none.

It sucks because we deal with just about every car, year, make and model and all have had a fix. Not this one. Still hit or miss if they work on the JL.
I used the Tazer to shut off TPMS. Now it doesn't even come up in the menu when you look for it. No lights on its as if it never had the option.

JLRUD2.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Megatron JLU

Megatron JLU

First Name
Anibal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 T Diesel
I used the Tazer to shut off TPMS. Now it doesn't even come up in the menu when you look for it. No lights on its as if it never had the option.

JLRUD2.jpg
Personally I want to know The air pressure especially with beadlocks, I know the tazer can take it off, but I think it's way safer to have the tpms.

2020 Diesel JL

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 CJ3B Diesel, 2018 Camaro Hot Wheels Convertible, 2018 Dodge 3500 Diesel, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide White, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide Black, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
General Manager / Owner of CraneWorks Orlando
Vehicle Showcase
Personally I want to know The air pressure especially with beadlocks, I know the tazer can take it off, but I think it's way safer to have the tpms.
I agree and figure the first time it has to go to the dealer for anything I will have them put on. Right now with my workload I haven't had the time to get it there. It's crazy, some people are out of work and others are working double time.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
The part number given to me by the dealer is 68402371AA
68402371AA Is the new Part number for the 2020 JLURs. I also contacted my local dealer and verified before I bought anything. The good thing is that this is a much cheaper TPMS than the old part # for the 2018-2019s. I ordered a set of 5 for my new wheels as well. At 35$ each they were not much more than a rebuilt kit to swap from my old ones. They are on backorder though, so don't expect them for another week or so.

jeronimo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JL
Occupation
On the trail :+)
For what is worth I decided to share my experience with installing new set of beadlock wheels plus 37" tires and new TPMS 29093. I am an owner of JLUR 2018 which originally comes with TPMS 20398. Since I was told 29093 is interchangeable with 20398 and adds tire fill feature for the newer models of Wrangler's I decided to go ahead and install 29093.

After working on my beadlocks for a week, I had to redo them twice once before roadforce balance and once again after I was given roadforce reference points (the tires didn't have balance point marks), I finally had them balanced and installed.

I was then surprised to see that my Jeep was not able to re-learn the new TPMS sensors which I read should've happened automatic. All sensors were showing absent.

I tried multiple things including driving around, then deflating the tires by 15LBS and then inflating them to factory rates and driving around again. Some people claim that deflating/inflating would wake the sensors if they are in sleep mode - I don't know if that's true but it didn't make any difference.

Some people here suggested also that they had this issue with 2018 JL models with ticker tires and beadlocks and attributed to the TPMS control module not being able to read the TPMS sensors due to the ticker tires and beadlocks with smaller backspacing in conjunction with lift - I am unsure if that could be the case but for me it wasn't.

Finally since I was already tired of undoing and redoing beadlocks I purchased Autel MaxiTPMS TS508 TPMS Relearn Tool

Working with the tool was easy - you have an option to scan each sensor based on location plus the spare which saves the serial numbers in the tool's memory. After that you connect the tool using OBD2 and push the settings to the computer. This basically updates the stored TPMS serial numbers so the computer knows which sensors to read. You will need the 12+8 bypass cable so you can bypass the security gateway (SGW) which safeguards the computer memory.

After I updated the settings with the new TPMS serials sensors data was immediately visible through the dash just by driving out of the driveway.

I am unsure if JL 2018 does or does not have automatic TPMS learn mode, probably people here can tell their experience, but from what I've seen with mine it seems like TPMS serial numbers were written in the computer memory and TPMS module was scanning for those particular TPMS serials that were saved in the memory. If JL 2018 has an auto learn mode, that was probably disabled and overwritten by the dealer when they were performing tire rotation, or there is a way to engage auto-learn TPMS mode which I am unaware of.

P.S. I believe this is also something that any tire shop like America's Tire would do for you free of charge if you purchased or balanced tires with them so if you don't want to buy the tool try the tire shop - most likely they have a similar tool - just make sure you have the 12+8 bypass cable, because otherwise you won't be able to update the computer settings if trying through the regular OBD2 port.

~Cheers~
Sponsored