TPMS Wheel sensors

Megatron JLU

First Name
Anibal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 T Diesel
When i first installed my KMC wheels i purchased new wheel sensors from discount tire because they claimed they would work for my jeep. After spending hours building the beadlocks and installing them on the jeep none of them updated my tire pressure. At this point i had the stock wheels off and i took off all the oem wheel sensors.

Not wanting to break down my beadlocks completely down to remove the discount tire sensors I was able to talk the tire shop into trying to compress the tire, break the bead enough from the back (non ring side), and reach in there and take the discount sensors off. This worked and we were able to remove the bad sensors and install all five oem sensors.

Fast forward to today, i want to change my wheels to new wheels but i want to sell my current setup with the wheel sensors. So i need to purchase new sensors. I called the dealer and they asked for the last eight of my vin. After that he said that the wheel sensors for my 2020 ecodiesel were not the same as a 19 year model. And maybe that's why the discount sensors did not work as well. What is everyone using for wheel sensors? There is a back-order on the wheel sensors for our diesels at the moment up to a month and a half.

I want to sell my current setup assembled and ready to go, that is the reason i am wanting to purchase new sensors.

9ADAF258-2288-4146-910D-099344860E52.jpeg
Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Sensors are 433mhz. Canā€™t believe there would be a difference between the gas and diesel. I will say Iā€™ve never had a bad sensor and for the Jeep I installed them on, I had 6 bad ones. Same deal with the beadlock, I just broke them down and redid them. Took about 6 hrs total to break down and rebalance. I buy them off amazon. This was for a 2020 we built for some great folks.

Brett

OP
OP
Megatron JLU

Megatron JLU

First Name
Anibal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 T Diesel
Sensors are 433mhz. Canā€™t believe there would be a difference between the gas and diesel. I will say Iā€™ve never had a bad sensor and for the Jeep I installed them on, I had 6 bad ones. Same deal with the beadlock, I just broke them down and redid them. Took about 6 hrs total to break down and rebalance. I buy them off amazon. This was for a 2020 we built for some great folks.

Brett
the discount sensors were dual, 433 and 315. I also tried the eBay sensors and they did not work for me. It's just too much work to take another chance with non oem sensors. I just don't want to wait that long on oem sensors.

Focker

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ducati.ms
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
General Manager
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
When i first installed my KMC wheels i purchased new wheel sensors from discount tire because they claimed they would work for my jeep. After spending hours building the beadlocks and installing them on the jeep none of them updated my tire pressure. At this point i had the stock wheels off and i took off all the oem wheel sensors.

Not wanting to break down my beadlocks completely down to remove the discount tire sensors I was able to talk the tire shop into trying to compress the tire, break the bead enough from the back (non ring side), and reach in there and take the discount sensors off. This worked and we were able to remove the bad sensors and install all five oem sensors.

Fast forward to today, i want to change my wheels to new wheels but i want to sell my current setup with the wheel sensors. So i need to purchase new sensors. I called the dealer and they asked for the last eight of my vin. After that he said that the wheel sensors for my 2020 ecodiesel were not the same as a 19 year model. And maybe that's why the discount sensors did not work as well. What is everyone using for wheel sensors? There is a back-order on the wheel sensors for our diesels at the moment up to a month and a half.

I want to sell my current setup assembled and ready to go, that is the reason i am wanting to purchase new sensors.

9ADAF258-2288-4146-910D-099344860E52.jpeg
I ran into a similar delay with my OEM sensors but it looks like they shipped end of last week. I tried some 3rd party sensors on my ā€˜18 JLUR 3.6 and they never read correctly despite running at the proper frequency and sending correct pressures to the receiver that the tire shop verified them with. Not surprisingly, they donā€™t work on my ā€˜20 JLURD either. My dealer talked to FCA directly about the new sensors when we couldnā€™t figure out why the ā€˜20s were getting a new version. They are different for the entire 2020 model year, not engine specific. FCA wouldnā€™t tell them why. My guess is theyā€™re playing a cat and mouse game with the 3rd party sensor manufacturers to discourage enough folks away from them and toward OEM. That said, the ā€˜20 sensors were a helluva lot cheaper (by over 50%) than the prior OEM sensor kit, unless their picture and description including the valve stem with the ā€˜20 is inaccurate and they are shipping without valve stems. Iā€™ll let folks know how the new sensor model works with my AEV Borah beadlocks when Iā€™m done assembling them...sensor shipping is the rate limiting step in that process at the moment because the wheels are arriving Monday.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Guys I have mentioned it before in other threads but will state it again here. The OE sensor is Schrader 20398. We are seeing a new sensor coming in on the Gladiator for 20 so yes there could be a change for the JL. When you call a dealer they only know the OE part number not the Schrader matching part number (20398). I asked the OP to call the dealer with his VIN and get the OE part number. We can then match it to the Schrader part number.

Now having said that JEEP is having problems with their transmitter and the strength. As soon as you go lift and after market thicker ply tires all bets are off. Some folks have had good luck while others have not. We have found that most ā€œprogrammableā€ TPMS sensors are not working with the JLā€™s although a few have got them to work. These are the sensors that are not vehicle specific but get programmed for you before they are sent out (ie the Discount Tire dual frequency).

The best result has been the direct fit sensors made by Schrader who also makes the OE manufacturer sensor. It doesnā€™t matter where you get them as long as they are NEW sensors. Yes you can find cheaper Schader 20398 on various sites and many of those could be old or refurbished. You should be paying around $30 a sensor.

How do I know all this? I own a TPMS business. I own a 18 JL and you can see my mods below. We have played with my set up with about 7 different brands we sell. The best we can get is the pressures to read but light stays on. Others have gotten them to work the way they should. This truly is a Jeep issue however NO WAY they will address it on a modified Jeep.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/254397316225

[URL]https://www.tpmsbargains.com/product-p/tpms-20398-03-jl-set5.htm
[/URL]

OP
OP
Megatron JLU

Megatron JLU

First Name
Anibal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 T Diesel
Guys I have mentioned it before in other threads but will state it again here. The OE sensor is Schrader 20398. We are seeing a new sensor coming in on the Gladiator for 20 so yes there could be a change for the JL. When you call a dealer they only know the OE part number not the Schrader matching part number (20398). I asked the OP to call the dealer with his VIN and get the OE part number. We can then match it to the Schrader part number.

Now having said that JEEP is having problems with their transmitter and the strength. As soon as you go lift and after market thicker ply tires all bets are off. Some folks have had good luck while others have not. We have found that most ā€œprogrammableā€ TPMS sensors are not working with the JLā€™s although a few have got them to work. These are the sensors that are not vehicle specific but get programmed for you before they are sent out (ie the Discount Tire dual frequency).

The best result has been the direct fit sensors made by Schrader who also makes the OE manufacturer sensor. It doesnā€™t matter where you get them as long as they are NEW sensors. Yes you can find cheaper Schader 20398 on various sites and many of those could be old or refurbished. You should be paying around $30 a sensor.

How do I know all this? I own a TPMS business. I own a 18 JL and you can see my mods below. We have played with my set up with about 7 different brands we sell. The best we can get is the pressures to read but light stays on. Others have gotten them to work the way they should. This truly is a Jeep issue however NO WAY they will address it on a modified Jeep.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/254397316225

https://www.tpmsbargains.com/product-p/tpms-20398-03-jl-set5.htm

The part number given to me by the dealer is 68402371AA

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The part number given to me by the dealer is 68402371AA
You need Schrader 29117. Buy from here (he is my business partner) but I can't beat that price until the new pricing hits in a month.

https://www.tpms.com/Jeep_Gladiator_OEM_Schrader_TPMS_Sensor_68464665AA_p/s9117-gladiator.htm

Here is the difference. Both 20398 and this one are the same protocol and will work however they are starting to roll out a new feature that when filling up the car will beep when it is full. You need the 29117 to maintain that feature if your Jeep has it. Hope that helps.

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel
You need Schrader 29117. Buy from here (he is my business partner) but I can't beat that price until the new pricing hits in a month.

https://www.tpms.com/Jeep_Gladiator_OEM_Schrader_TPMS_Sensor_68464665AA_p/s9117-gladiator.htm

Here is the difference. Both 20398 and this one are the same protocol and will work however they are starting to roll out a new feature that when filling up the car will beep when it is full. You need the 29117 to maintain that feature if your Jeep has it. Hope that helps.
This is good information. Thank you for that!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Megatron JLU

Megatron JLU

First Name
Anibal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 T Diesel

Awesome! Thank you.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
I will be glad to help everyone out with TPMS. I have TPMSBargains.com. Feel free to ask any questions needed.
Much appreciated. Ever seen a sensor send a signal with an accurate psi to a portable receiver but the onboard receiver reads zero psi instead of the typical dash when it has no signal?

2020 Diesel JL

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 CJ3B Diesel, 2018 Camaro Hot Wheels Convertible, 2018 Dodge 3500 Diesel, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide White, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide Black, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
General Manager / Owner of CraneWorks Orlando
Vehicle Showcase

I ordered a set. Hope they work. I bought the Jeep 17" Beadlock wheels with 35" Toyo Open Country RT that are the same OEM ply and load rating so they would have to cover any issues. Jeep is the one that says 35's fit the Rubicon and sells the lift. I will put them on when their 2" lift comes out to fit the diesel.

Update:
I put the tires and rims on without the lift and TPMS sensors and shut off the TPMS system with the Tazer for now. When I bring it in for its alignment after the lift is installed I will have the dealer install and program the sensors.

JLRUD2.jpg

JLRUD1.jpg

Last edited:

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Much appreciated. Ever seen a sensor send a signal with an accurate psi to a portable receiver but the onboard receiver reads zero psi instead of the typical dash when it has no signal?
Probably messing them up. TPMS is very finicky and basic RF. If it is sending to one receiver it certainly wonā€™t send to both usually. Also depending on the receiver you could get a PSI reading but if the signal is infrequent it wonā€™t turn the light off. Thatā€™s what is happening to a lot. You will get the correct PSI reading on the EVIC but the light stays on.
Sponsored