TPMS tire location wrong after 5-tire rotation

UniqueUserName

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Wrangler YJ, 2022 JLUR-XR
I just did my first oil change and 5-tire rotation on my new 2022 JLUR-XR today and noticed that one or more TPMS sensors are reading the wrong location. When I picked up the Jeep from the dealer in April, I noted that all of the tires were significantly over-inflated. I adjusted the inflation for all of the in-use tires as soon as I got it home. I left the spare as it was, figuring I would adjust it when I mounted it. While driving home from the shop after the rotation, I noted that the driver/front tire was reading 48psi, which should be the freshly mounted spare. However, the spare was rotated to the passenger/rear position. When I got home, I adjusted the pressure of the passenger/rear tire and the change was reflected at the driver/front position by the TPMS. I haven't checked to see which, if any, are reading the proper location.

I don't know if this is something that will self-correct or not (I drove about 20 miles home from the shop). I have not tried to verify if the other location readings are correct or not. If it weren't for the over-inflated spare being rotated-in, I wouldn't even be aware that there is an issue. All of the affected parts are stock (i.e., wheels, tires, sensors...) and I don't have a Taser or similar device installed.

Does anyone have any insight as to why this may have occurred and whether it will self-correct or needs some sort of intervention and how to fix it?
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@UniqueUserName

Try the following ...

Make sure the Psi on all 4 on the ground tires are set to exactly what the the door placard recommends. Then go for a ride... Hopefully, all will display correctly after a mile or so.. AFTER all TPMS's are reading/displaying correctly, you can change the psi on tires.

If that is a no go..... try -->Often the spare messes things up so remove the spare, leave it in the garage and with the PSI's all set as per the door placard, go drive for a few minutes. Once all displays properly, put the spare back on the spare holder.

Also try: --> the current thought by most TPMS retailers/vendors, that IF you have one or more sensors not reading on a say a JL/JLU/JT or a JK.... you deflate all on the ground tires to 12# below the recommended tire pressure, driver's side door sticker that tells you recommended tire psi. Now, after they are deflated you drive say a half mile. Now, you inflate to to +- 1# psi, of the recommended psi on the driver's side door sticker and go for a mile drive.. This scenario/routine is suppose to wake up the sensors, so to speak and get them reading...

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
@UniqueUserName

Try the following ...

Make sure the Psi on all 4 on the ground tires are set to exactly what the the door placard recommends. Then go for a ride... Hopefully, all will display correctly after a mile or so.. AFTER all TPMS's are reading/displaying correctly, you can change the psi on tires.

If that is a no go..... try -->Often the spare messes things up so remove the spare, leave it in the garage and with the PSI's all set as per the door placard, go drive for a few minutes. Once all displays properly, put the spare back on the spare holder.

Also try: --> the current thought by most TPMS retailers/vendors, that IF you have one or more sensors not reading on a say a JL/JLU/JT or a JK.... you deflate all on the ground tires to 12# below the recommended tire pressure, driver's side door sticker that tells you recommended tire psi. Now, after they are deflated you drive say a half mile. Now, you inflate to to +- 1# psi, of the recommended psi on the driver's side door sticker and go for a mile drive.. This scenario/routine is suppose to wake up the sensors, so to speak and get them reading...
SUREā€” Now you post this!! After getting tires Monday and two trips back to the tire shop before figuring this out the hard trial and error way! :facepalm: :LOL:;)

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
SUREā€” Now you post this!! After getting tires Monday and two trips back to the tire shop before figuring this out the hard trial and error way! :facepalm: :LOL:;)
Did you need to deflate > drive > reinflate > drive to wake the sensors so the Jeep could relearn the positions, or just drive for a little while as is?

Few years back I bought a $300 Autel TPMS programmer from Tire Rack that could supposedly both program a new set of sensors (cloned from previous ones) and/or write their new IDs to the car's ECU, though I couldn't get the damn thing to do either. But it does work great for waking up or 'activating' the sensors instead of messing around deflating and reinflating all the tires for no reason, so maybe I'll find a use for it yet!

Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Did you need to deflate > drive > reinflate > drive to wake the sensors so the Jeep could relearn the positions, or just drive for a little while as is?

Few years back I bought a $300 Autel TPMS programmer from Tire Rack that could supposedly both program a new set of sensors (cloned from previous ones) and/or write their new IDs to the car's ECU, though I couldn't get the damn thing to do either. But it does work great for waking up or 'activating' the sensors instead of messing around deflating and reinflating all the tires for no reason, so maybe I'll find a use for it yet!
Got 35/12.50/17/C AT3ā€™s-35psi max, had them go 32, half way home-low tires warning still on Went back ,increase to 35, repeat, cave and go 37, warning cleared, lower to 32 . With the warning at 28psi this could become a PITA. Also, today I noticed there isnā€™t a single weight on the spare, that would be a miracle, so back for the fourth time tomorrow šŸ˜– Edit-Position never occurred to me, to be determined.

Last edited:
Reactions: AFD
OP
OP
UniqueUserName

UniqueUserName

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Wrangler YJ, 2022 JLUR-XR
@UniqueUserName

Try the following ...

OK. It's resolved itself. I did a two-step process roughly following your advice:

Step 1) I made sure all four mounted wheels had the correct pressure and removed the spare. My wife drove it a few times over a couple of days;

Step 2) I deflated each tire progressively by 4 psi. (right/front = 32 psi, right/rear = 28 psi, left/rear 24 psi, left /front = 20 psi) and went for a short drive (handling was really weird, even at low speed). Within a few hundred feet all four tires were shown at the proper pressure and location in the TPMS display. Got back aired them all up to the correct pressure and remounted the spare. Done.

Hopefully, I won't have to go through this with every rotation.

Thanks for the advice!
Sponsored