Sponsored

TPMS Sensors not working after new Fuel wheels

First Name
Chrissy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Granite Crystal JLUR18
So, I got my JLUR at the beginning of May. I took weeks to choose new wheels. Decided to keep my stock 33s since this whole little "makeover" was adding up by the hundreds. I overpaid by A LOT (probably almost double what I could have ordered them for myself) to get the wheels from the dealer who claimed to the be best Jeep mod shop in town and they would make sure that everything would sync up and work like brand new. Since its is a brand new jeep, I wasn't inclined to have someone else screw things up. They ordered my wheels and told me I needed new TPMS sensors, apparently, I didn't have a choice, I couldn't keep or reuse the old ones. So, then I paid another $726 for new sensors. Wheels go on, and they look great! But, immediately after leaving the lot, I call the dealer svc mgr back to tell him, "hey, my sensors don't work. I'm getting messages that some tires aren't reading." I bring it in, they check that I do have pressure (which I already checked) and tell me to bring it back in during the week so the tech who worked on it can adjust the sensor. Fast forward a week. Now, after two more visits to the dealership and two adjustments, it went back in today for them to replace "the module". Not 3 minutes off their lot, the sensors are still not working! I've been to the dealership four times for this. Fortunately, I work about a mile from the dealership and can drop it off on my way in to the office and get it back when it's time to go home, but this is getting ridiculous. Anyone here have any ideas? I'm trying to be patient, but it's getting hard not to be frustrated.

Here's the thing, I LOVE my new great looking wheels (I added a bumper guard and some fog lights too - which weren't cheap) and my jeep is stating to look like it's truly "my" jeep. I just want it to work like its supposed to work.
Sponsored

Hootbro

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2022 JT RUBICON
Man, that dealership is throwing it to you without lube. You really have no choice but to either ride the dealership until they get it done right, or find a point and walk away and have a reputable wheel shop take care of it. FCA is not going to get involved on your behalf since it is 3rd party aftermarket.

I am also wondering if they are claiming warranty work on the parts cannon they are throwing at it for the modules when it is their screw up and ineptness?

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Wow. Discount Tire moved my sensors over to my new wheels for free and everything works perfectly. You got hosed.

Cwelroy

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sahara
Wow. Discount Tire moved my sensors over to my new wheels for free and everything works perfectly. You got hosed.
Same here with discount tire. No issues.

Sponsored

OP
OP
First Name
Chrissy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Granite Crystal JLUR18
I know! I have seen the prices online, and I am beyond pissed off about what they charged me, but it is what it is. They totally took advantage of my not having a clue about the whole wheels switch out. Of course, I promptly sold my stock wheels with the sensor attached (or so I assume, since I don't really know what the sensors even look like other than what I've now seen online on aftermarket sites. I'm not really expecting FCA to get involved, I will keep on the dealer, and I must say, they have been very good about this whole thing, and I am confident that they will get it sorted. Worst case, I will go to our local offroad shop to get it sorted.

JJexp

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Raptor, 68 Y body coupe.
Occupation
G650 driver
I’m sorry to hear of your woes. I got mopar sensors off of eBay for 11 bucks each, and had them thrown on my new wheels by Pep Boys. Tell them all you want is for them to cut you a check for the 700 bucks, and then take your business to a tire shop that can handle the simple task of pulling a valve stem through a wheel.

YaThatAintRight

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon "THE LLAMA"
Occupation
Automotive Instructional Designer
I know! I have seen the prices online, and I am beyond pissed off about what they charged me, but it is what it is. They totally took advantage of my not having a clue about the whole wheels switch out. Of course, I promptly sold my stock wheels with the sensor attached (or so I assume, since I don't really know what the sensors even look like other than what I've now seen online on aftermarket sites. I'm not really expecting FCA to get involved, I will keep on the dealer, and I must say, they have been very good about this whole thing, and I am confident that they will get it sorted. Worst case, I will go to our local offroad shop to get it sorted.
This has nothing to do with the wheels. This is an OEM tire pressure sensor and it is a dealer problem. FCA will absolutely get involved if you call them. Id demand a refund for everything you have paid for from the dealer. They never delivered what you originally paid for (new working TPMS sensors). You got hosed, don't walk away and pay another shop more money to fix a problem the dealer created.

Worst case, keep the RO's that show the system didn't work and charge back the dealer charge to the credit card. You can provide the credit card company with a copy of the RO showing the work they performed was not complete and the issuer will refund your money. You have recourse, its just up to you to use it.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@CPU Granite Rubi

I have to agree with the others here. I would go to the Service Manager and the General Manager and ask for a refund in regard to the TPMS's and the install of same. Don't feel guilty or squeamish about doing this.

You paid for parts and a service that bombed. They will I'm sure, refund your $..... Especially, if they failed on more then one attempt. Just politely talk to the SM and GM.

Now, you can if you want go elsewhere and have TPMS's installed. Even Discount Tire will do the TPMS install and not charge you if they cannot get the TPMS's working.

Also, no one says you have to have TPMS working. Many chose not to even bother installing TPMS sensors.

If you don't have TPMS sensors installed, just go out and buy a TazerJL for $300+ and disable TPMS. Along with disable TPMS you can also enjoy the many features that the TazerJL brings to a Rubi..

OP
OP
First Name
Chrissy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Granite Crystal JLUR18
Thank you all for the tips! I will definitely reach out to the dealer tomorrow and talk to the service manager and if necessary, the dealership general manager. At the end of the day, all I want is what I paid for, and you are all correct, so far, they have not delivered. I'll update here after I talk to the dealer.

Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Thank you all for the tips! I will definitely reach out to the dealer tomorrow and talk to the service manager and if necessary, the dealership general manager. At the end of the day, all I want is what I paid for, and you are all correct, so far, they have not delivered. I'll update here after I talk to the dealer.
i wouldnt even have them try to work on it any more. i would tell the GM that you feel extremely taken advantage of after you've seen MOPAR tpms selling online for $11 a piece and that Discount Tire will install and program them all day long for a few bucks. and then the fact that the service department cant even get the tpms to WORK is just salt on those open wounds. if that doesnt work, call your CC company and then start posting reviews on their FB and Yelp pages etc... and be sure to name names when doing so. and get FCA involved as well. you have a lot of options. dont let them take you for that kind of $. it would be one thing if they working but the fact that they aren't, is all the ammo you need. i wouldn't settle for anything less than a full refund.

good luck and post up the results afterwards.

2018RUBI

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
So, I got my JLUR at the beginning of May. I took weeks to choose new wheels. Decided to keep my stock 33s since this whole little "makeover" was adding up by the hundreds. I overpaid by A LOT (probably almost double what I could have ordered them for myself) to get the wheels from the dealer who claimed to the be best Jeep mod shop in town and they would make sure that everything would sync up and work like brand new. Since its is a brand new jeep, I wasn't inclined to have someone else screw things up. They ordered my wheels and told me I needed new TPMS sensors, apparently, I didn't have a choice, I couldn't keep or reuse the old ones. So, then I paid another $726 for new sensors. Wheels go on, and they look great! But, immediately after leaving the lot, I call the dealer svc mgr back to tell him, "hey, my sensors don't work. I'm getting messages that some tires aren't reading." I bring it in, they check that I do have pressure (which I already checked) and tell me to bring it back in during the week so the tech who worked on it can adjust the sensor. Fast forward a week. Now, after two more visits to the dealership and two adjustments, it went back in today for them to replace "the module". Not 3 minutes off their lot, the sensors are still not working! I've been to the dealership four times for this. Fortunately, I work about a mile from the dealership and can drop it off on my way in to the office and get it back when it's time to go home, but this is getting ridiculous. Anyone here have any ideas? I'm trying to be patient, but it's getting hard not to be frustrated.

Here's the thing, I LOVE my new great looking wheels (I added a bumper guard and some fog lights too - which weren't cheap) and my jeep is stating to look like it's truly "my" jeep. I just want it to work like its supposed to work.
I'm having the same issue. 20" Fuel Mavericks on 35s. Can I ask what fuel wheels you have? I'm wondering if it's only affecting certain wheels. Of course the manual says that wheels other than OEM could cause problems with TPMS but this would be the only vehicle that I've seen where this is actually true. I think I'll end up replacing all the sensors.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk

2018RUBI

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
I had my OEM sensors moved over to the new wheels. If i'm at highway speeds they sync just fine. Once I get off the highway (slower speeds) they start dropping off after a few minutes. At this point I'm starting to think the larger wheel diameter and the lift has taken the sensors out of range at the lowest rotation point. At highway speeds they are at the required highest point much more often so it maintains the sync.
Sponsored