TPMS Relearn after tire rotation?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I just rotated my tires. Is the JL a self-learning system, or do I need to use my relearn tool and a procedure?
Sponsored

Fouts

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon Unlimited
How about the spare, if you rotate it in does it have tams and will it learn?

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
How about the spare, if you rotate it in does it have tams and will it learn?
Yes, all the tires have 433mhz tpms sensors. The 4 on the ground will be read, the spare won’t, rotate the spare into the mix and it’ll be picked up. The one the spare replaced will no longer be read in the spare location

Brett

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Auto relearn
Cool! I suspected it when I drove it a couple blocks and the pressure readings changed. But, I couldn't verify which actual tire was giving the readings in the respective locations on the display.

Sponsored

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
I did a 5 tire rotation and the TPMS will recognize all mounted tires automatically

grady2hig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna XLE 4WD
I just rotated my tires. Is the JL a self-learning system, or do I need to use my relearn tool and a procedure?
It does it automatically...I noticed when the dealership pressured my tires up to 52 psi! When I first drove the drivers front tired was still at 37...then after driving a bit it jumped to 52. So they obviously inflated them after the rotation, but not the spare. I immediately went to deflate them...annoying...but was cool to verify they actually rotated them as I asked

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
Ain’t tech great when it works!!!! :clap:

and when it does not!!!! :(:mad::angry::crying::facepalm::lipssealed::punch::whatsgoingon:

kobejo34

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Here's one for you. After 5 tire rotation done by a 4x4 shop my passenger front tpms (previously the spare) keep coming in and out so I took it to the dealer, they tested the signal on all 5 and the driver rear wasn't transmitting and after they replaced the sensor I haven't seen the issue. I guess the computer freaked when one of four was missing and reports what it wants. Dealer said they did a relearn but the Jeep didn't have any miles on it so I guess the dealer has a magic button.

Last edited:

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Here's one for you. After 5 tire rotation done by a 4x4 ship my passenger front tpms (previously the spare) keep coming in and out so I took it to the dealer, they tested the signal on all 5 and the driver rear wasn't transmitting and after they replaced it I haven't seen the issue. I guess the computer freaked when one of four was missing and reports what it wants. Dealer said they did a relearn but the Jeep didn't have any miles on it so I guess the dealer has a magic button.
Well TPMS batteries can go bad. Impossible to do a relearn without driving the Jeep. Sometimes though literally driving in a few feet in the dealer parking lot will work. There are two other types of relearn, use of a trigger tool like in Fords where you have a little garage door opener type device and an OBD relearn. Neither can be done in a Jeep.

Also we have seen that the spare can mess with the relearn on a tire rotation sometimes. Simple to fix. Remove the spare, leave it in the garage, go drive your Jeep until the sensors are picked up then go back and install the spare. Also people have screwed it up by asking for old parts. They have the old TPMS in the Jeep going home and that won’t work either.

Sponsored

Fouts

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon Unlimited
A little off topic but if doing a 5 tire rotation, what goes where?

Thdoors

First Name
Dabber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L 2021 JLU Sport 2LT 2015 Sport 3.6L
Occupation
Retired homicide detective
OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=43

I did the foward cross where the two rears cross sides and go to the fronts, the spare goes to the right rear, the front left goes to the left rear, and the right front goes to the spare position. I think the main thing is that you do it frequently and use the same pattern each time.
Sponsored