TPMS Reading Not Accurate

Wrangler-NS

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Does anyone else have a situation where their TPMS (dash display) is off from what you actually measure at the tires with gauge? Mine measures 5 psi higher that at the tire. I have measured at the tire with two different gauges (digital and the one on my Smittybilt compressor). The two gauges measure the same which is 5 psi less than what the Jeep says. Tires are stock size.
Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have aftermarket wheels, some have reported issues after switching them

OP
OP
Wrangler-NS

Wrangler-NS

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
No. I changed the Michelin LTX tires that came stock to BFG A/T K02 but the same exact size on the same rims.

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
Mine, measured cold with two gauges (one digital and one analog), are right on the money. TPMS readouts climb a couple of pounds as they warm up after driving, which is normal.

Richamby

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara born on 5-18; 1999 TJ 2 Dr
My TPMS didn’t match my mechanical gauge either. I bought a new digital gauge that’s accurate to a tenth pound and I think it even compensates for barometic pressure. Now they match fairly close.

My old gauge was way off, like 5 to 6 psi.

Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
An old "cheapie" HAND HELD TIRE GAUGE brand new accuracy, is usually at least 10% off-

The way you "APPLY" the gauge to the valve stem also introduces another 10/20% INACCURACY-

There are a bunch of DIRECT STRAIGHT LINE pressure gauges, even cheap, that will give you much more accurate PSI readings than those stupid "PENCIL" style gauges-

I didn't even xfer the TPMS senders into my new wheels--

I've got better things to do-

W.E.

JIMBO

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
An old "cheapie" HAND HELD TIRE GAUGE brand new accuracy, is usually at least 10% off-

The way you "APPLY" the gauge to the valve stem also introduces another 10/20% INACCURACY-

There are a bunch of DIRECT STRAIGHT LINE pressure gauges, even cheap, that will give you much more accurate PSI readings than those stupid "PENCIL" style gauges-

I didn't even xfer the TPMS senders into my new wheels--

I've got better things to do-

W.E.

JIMBO
You said you didnt transfer your sensors so are you running with no sensors or are you running aftermarket ones

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
NOPE, My TPMS system is now on "STANDBY"--

If you run new wheels/without TPMS xmitters--you drive for at least 20 minutes, above 15 mph and the ECU will shut down the system---My dash display when you scroll down to the 4 tire pressures it just shows red dashes and says "TIRE PRESSURE UNAVAILABLE"- and the little yellow TPMS ICON is shown in the TACH body--

THAT'S IT, NO ALARMS/NO "LIMP MODE" SCARES--

It's great unless you're programed to have the TPMS system or you feel unsafe--

W.E.

JIMBO
You said you didnt transfer your sensors so are you running with no sensors or are you running aftermarket ones

JohnT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
4-minutemiles.weebly.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-door
I have the same problem. One reads low. The rest are fine - dead-on what the gauge reads. It's all fine to talk about gauge accuracy and disabling them, blah blah blah.... but the initial question was about how or why they (or one of them) are off by a few PSI and how to get it to be accurate. Frankly, I would rather have the TPMS working properly. Eventually, I can get one of those tools that will adjust the alarm to be at a lower value, but the feature is there - the pressures should be at least consistent between the wheels.

CJ SCION

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUD Hardtop, 2016 JK 2-door Ragtop
Occupation
Tired Again
I have the same problem. One reads low. The rest are fine - dead-on what the gauge reads. It's all fine to talk about gauge accuracy and disabling them, blah blah blah.... but the initial question was about how or why they (or one of them) are off by a few PSI and how to get it to be accurate. Frankly, I would rather have the TPMS working properly. Eventually, I can get one of those tools that will adjust the alarm to be at a lower value, but the feature is there - the pressures should be at least consistent between the wheels.
Good one @JohnT, 3 years and two weeks since last post. I get that some people think that checking tire pressure is a loathsome chore, but it isn't. We can make a quick visual every time we approach the vehicle and then a kick test if needed. Yeah, yeah, I know that's not modern day state of the art but it has worked for decades.

Sponsored

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Mine is right at 5 lbs off. I checked with 3 gauges all read the same, tpms 5 pounds higher. What’s odd is it’s only at higher pressure. When I air down to 18 the tpms is spot on. But I also like to run about 32-34 lbs normally so it’s nice when I don’t get a warning for that 🤣

stevepoz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red JLUR
Mine are off by 1 or 2 psi from 2 different gauges

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
Does anyone else have a situation where their TPMS (dash display) is off from what you actually measure at the tires with gauge? Mine measures 5 psi higher that at the tire. I have measured at the tire with two different gauges (digital and the one on my Smittybilt compressor). The two gauges measure the same which is 5 psi less than what the Jeep says. Tires are stock size.
Mine are about 2 PSI low on TPMS from three different mechanical gauges. It sucks because I have to keep 39 PSI to keep the stupid nanny form scolding me.

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

NOPE, My TPMS system is now on "STANDBY"--

If you run new wheels/without TPMS xmitters--you drive for at least 20 minutes, above 15 mph and the ECU will shut down the system---My dash display when you scroll down to the 4 tire pressures it just shows red dashes and says "TIRE PRESSURE UNAVAILABLE"- and the little yellow TPMS ICON is shown in the TACH body--

THAT'S IT, NO ALARMS/NO "LIMP MODE" SCARES--

It's great unless you're programed to have the TPMS system or you feel unsafe--

W.E.

JIMBO
I cut a tire on my Ram 1500, and thanks to TPMS alerting and showing how quickly I was losing pressure I was able to get pulled off before the tire was completely flat. Why is that a bad thing?
Sponsored