Sanchese

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021Rubicon, 2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon on Order
Other than Mopar TPMS sensors.
Is there an aftermarket sensor that is cheaper and works well?
Or am I just better off buying mopar sensors?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Sanchese

Sanchese

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021Rubicon, 2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon on Order
Depends. If the others don't work are you willing to tear it down and replace?
I guess you answered my Question.
I guess I am buying Mopar.
I am not a mechanic so tearing them out is not an option unless I want to pay.

Thank you

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
I guess you answered my Question.
I guess I am buying Mopar.
I am not a mechanic so tearing them out is not an option unless I want to pay.

Thank you

If you want to be sure the first time it's the best option. 😁

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
I transferred my factory sensors to my new wheels. I installed one incorrectly the first time but got it right when I upgraded to 39’s.
If they go wrong, you just need a hi-lift or bead breaker and a valve puller (not valve stem puller). The OEM scissor jack can even work. Just remove the core to let out the air, break the bead near the sensor, and hold the tire down with the hi-lift/scissor jack while you swap out the tpms. Reinflate after and you’re good, no dismount needed.
I have never swapped a tire before but managed, so if you’re at all mechanically inclined you can swap the TPMS sensor. I totally get not wanting to mess with it, but if you’re on the fence just know it isn’t hard.
Also, a magnetic probe helps in case the screw pops out.

Sponsored

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Mopar doesn’t make sensors. The OE sensor is made by Schrader. Your sensor is either a 20398 or a 29093 depending on year. They will both work but only the 29093 will work with TFA (Tire Fill Alert). You can use “5%off” here to get genuine TPMS at a significant savings
https://www.tpmsbargains.com/Jeep-Wrangler-JL-TPMS-Sensors-s/1961.htm

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
I'm with @Goin2drt on this one. The Mopar TPMS sensors are probably just Shrader parts at a markup anyway. Just buy Shrader parts directly.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Other than Mopar TPMS sensors.
Is there an aftermarket sensor that is cheaper and works well?
Or am I just better off buying mopar sensors?
Earlier post by @Goin2drt is spot on, Schrader makes the TMPS's for your JL.

....and this vendor is known to sell non counterfeit, fresh stock, etc.. Customer Service is beyond excellent.. I recently got a set from this vendor.... many other forum members have purchased from this vendor also.
https://www.tpmsbargains.com/Jeep-Wrangler-JL-TPMS-Sensors-s/1960.htm

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Mine are currently turned off and I just carry a tire gage and have zero issues 😉

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Mine are currently turned off and I just carry a tire gage and have zero issues 😉
That is also an option. The good ole fashioned way. Funny when I turned 16 and I bought my first truck (1982 Datsun 4 x 4) I got as a congratulations gift the old stick tire gauge that the white part pops out. The big long one. Dad said you will need this and you should check your tires often. Man how we have come dependent on tech.

Sponsored

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
The authorized MOPAR dealer disocunt parts websites recommended this part for my 2020 JLUR V6 Auto as per the VIN id:

The MOPAR 68402371AA Tire Pressure Sensor Kit $31.45

Yes, this part was made by Schrader, to the exact specifications the rest of the MOPAR TPMS processing anticipates working with.

It cost an extra $1.47 per sensor to get the sensors in sealed plastic MOPAR parts bags.

It was simple to make the purchase, and I did not have to second guess the decision.

The local tire shop was happy to install them. It saves everyone a bunch of possible gotchas. The TPMS were working as intended when I drove home from the tire shop and the system has been trouble free ever since.

Good luck.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The authorized MOPAR dealer disocunt parts websites recommended this part for my 2020 JLUR V6 Auto as per the VIN id:

The MOPAR 68402371AA Tire Pressure Sensor Kit $31.45

Yes, this part was made by Schrader, to the exact specifications the rest of the MOPAR TPMS processing anticipates working with.

It cost an extra $1.47 per sensor to get the sensors in sealed plastic MOPAR parts bags.

It was simple to make the purchase, and I did not have to second guess the decision.

The local tire shop was happy to install them. It saves everyone a bunch of possible gotchas. The TPMS were working as intended when I drove home from the tire shop and the system has been trouble free ever since.

Good luck.
@Yellow Cake Kid

So, you paid $1.47 a piece for each plastic bag... :giggle:

Did you pay shipping fees on top of the $31.45 ?

"Gotchas" can be had even with the Mopar ones in the $1.47, little plastic bags.

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
I bought my replacements when I upgraded my wheels and tires from Rockauto.. both for my JK and JL and never had an issue with them.

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
Are sensors not swappable? I bought Rubicon 392 takeoffs that still had the oem sensors in them, but after a couple days they stopped working and the dealer is telling me they cant program them for mine because they are set to a different vin.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are sensors not swappable? I bought Rubicon 392 takeoffs that still had the oem sensors in them, but after a couple days they stopped working and the dealer is telling me they cant program them for mine because they are set to a different vin.
@Echo4papa
@Goin2drt

I thought a bit on this..... there is no reason for a dealer to "program"TPMS's for your JL.

You use TPMS's that are usable by/on your JL and your JL does the rest.. TPMS's that were on 392 wheels will work / are usable with your 2021 JL.

In regard to your JL's TPMS:

-
How does the JL know which tire/rim/wheel is where .....

Well, there are 3 sensors on the chassis that monitor the 4 TPMS Sensors found on the 4 tire (rim) positions.

Info from the 3 chassis sensors is transmitted to the Wireless Control Module. There is no need for a 4th chassis sensor as the computer uses the process of elimination to determine the fourth tire location.

Yes, your JL knows exactly which rim is where, usually within seconds of a tire rotation for example. Yes, It's all done automatically.

The JL, does have a TPMS sensor in the spare, but it is not read by a chassis sensor/ considered by the computer until it is placed in one of the 4 tire positions.

Sponsored