Sponsored

TPMS light on after removing spare

swimman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I just rotated my tires and decided to keep the spare off the Jeep as I plan to swap out my rear bumper and tire carrier. Upon driving the Jeep, the TPMS light illuminated and has not gone off. Would removing the spare from the Jeep (the 5th wheel) have anything to do with this? Is the system looking for five wheels/sensors and not four?
Sponsored

LLANERO

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
No, it doesn't.
How many miles have you driven after rotating the tires? It takes sometime to reset the system.
Have you checked the TPMS readings for all 4 tires?

OP
OP
swimman

swimman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I drove it about 20 miles today. Three tires were 32 and one was at 34 but none were indicated in red. I'll give it some more time and see what happens.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Used to be when the tpms sensors were in the tires you would get the light because you could put the spare onto an axle and it would need the sensor in the tire. But most tpms systems are run off the brake/wheel electronics now so not in spare.

gm920

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR Billet Silver
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician (Retired)
Used to be when the tpms sensors were in the tires you would get the light because you could put the spare onto an axle and it would need the sensor in the tire. But most tpms systems are run off the brake/wheel electronics now so not in spare.
Not sure if it's looking for 5, but there is one in the spare tire.

A couple of excerpts from the 2019 JL Owners Manual:

System Operation
The Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS) uses wireless technology with wheel rim mounted electronic sensors to monitor tire pressure levels. Sensors, mounted to each wheel as part of the valve stem, transmit tire pressure readings to the receiver module.

Vehicles With a Full Size Matching Spare
1.If your vehicle is equipped with a matching full-size spare wheel and tire assembly, it has a tire pressure monitoring sensor, and can be monitored by the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) when swapped with a low pressure road tire.

2.In the event that the matching full-size spare tire is swapped with a low pressure road tire, the next ignition switch cycle will still show the TPMS Warning Light to be on, a chime to sound, an Inflate to XX message to appear in the instrument cluster, and the graphic display will still show the low tire pressure value in a different color.

3.Driving the vehicle for up to 20minutes above 15mph (24km/h) will turn off the TPMS Warning Light as long as none of road tires are below the low pressure warning threshold.

Sponsored

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Not true.

There are TPMS in all of your wheels. It needs to re calibrate the sensors that are on the corners. Leave the spare in the garage and not in the Jeep. Drive and the Jeep will relearn all the locations. Once they have done a relearn and you install your spare nothing will happen as the spare will "go to sleep" to save battery and only wakes up when it starts rotating. You should only have a drive a few miles.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Not true.

There are TPMS in all of your wheels. It needs to re calibrate the sensors that are on the corners. Leave the spare in the garage and not in the Jeep. Drive and the Jeep will relearn all the locations. Once they have done a relearn and you install your spare nothing will happen as the spare will "go to sleep" to save battery and only wakes up when it starts rotating. You should only have a drive a few miles.
Was that way on my JK, replace tires w/o sensors and get the tpms light all the time. Guessing they changed it on the JL because of complaints on the JK. On my 2010 Honda the sensor batteries wore out and expensive to replace but the mechanic told me most cars went away from battery sensors because of that.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Was that way on my JK, replace tires w/o sensors and get the tpms light all the time. Guessing they changed it on the JL because of complaints on the JK. On my 2010 Honda the sensor batteries wore out and expensive to replace but the mechanic told me most cars went away from battery sensors because of that.
Every TPMS sensor has a battery. Years ago there used to be indirect sensors where there was not an actual sensor but the car had a receiver at every corner. It could understand tire pressure as when one tire goes down it would rotate faster than the others. Indirect sensor systems are long gone and every car now has an actual TPMS sensor, most attached to the valve stem.

Every TPMS has a battery and it will last anywhere from 5 - 10 years depending on so many different factors that is why the industry has a huge range of battery life.

The JK's all have TPMS sensors. When a TPMS light is solid that means the TPMS is either not working or there is not one the car is picking up. When the light is blinking that will tell you the TPMS is working but you have a psi issue and most TPMS kick the light on when the psi is 10% below the posted door placard.

Hope that helps.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Guessing they changed it on the JL because of complaints on the JK.
The JL has the same system that was on the JK.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The JL has the same system that was on the JK.
My Honda dealer said they got rid of the tire sensors when I took my older Honda in to have two batteries replaced. . And my tpms light was on all the time in my JK when I replaced the tires and didn't spend the $250 for sensors. The light did not go off after a few miles.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

And my tpms light was on all the time in my JK when I replaced the tires and didn't spend the $250 for sensors. The light did not go off after a few miles.
That's how it works in the JK and the JL. No sensors, the light goes on. That's why most people user a programmer to disable TPMS if they remove the sensors.
Sponsored