Sponsored

TPMS issues with aftermarket wheels - am I alone?

RubyToBe

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be 2019 Rubicon
Question for all/anyone: going to purchase rims/tires/TPMS package from an online retailer for 2019 Rubicon...when everything arrives, do I need a certain “sync tool” to get the Jeep to read the sensors on the new wheels? Is there a menu/process via the dashboard to sync them up? Thank you very much. -Jonathan
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@RubyToBe

No, you need nothing.... Just be sure to get TPMS's that are known to play well with the JL.

In regard to your JL's TPMS:

How does the JL/JLU know which tire/rim/wheel is where .....

Well, there are 3 sensors on the chassis that monitor the 4 TPMS Sensors found on the 4 tire (rim) positions.

Info from the 3 chassis sensors is transmitted to the Wireless Control Module. There is no need for a 4th chassis sensor as the computer uses the process of elimination to determine the fourth tire location.

Yes, your JLU/JL knows exactly which rim is where, within seconds of a tire rotation for example. Yes, It's all done automatically.

There is a TPMS sensor in the factory mounted spare but it is not read by a chassis sensor/ considered by the computer until it is placed in one of the 4 tire positions.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@RubyToBe

Since you have a Rubi coming and t looks like you are researching in regard to changing wheels and tires....
I encourage you to start researching a forum sponsor's product(s) called the Tazer JL and TazerJL Lite.
Once you start reading about them you will understand why you would be interested in getting one...

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
If you don't have the time trouble/money/care about the TPMS system----

Install your new tires/wheels without ANY TPMS XMITTERS---the jeep doesn't care and will recover as if nothing ever happened--

Good luck

JIMBO

RubyToBe

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be 2019 Rubicon
@RubyToBe

Since you have a Rubi coming and t looks like you are researching in regard to changing wheels and tires....
I encourage you to start researching a forum sponsor's product(s) called the Tazer JL and TazerJL Lite.
Once you start reading about them you will understand why you would be interested in getting one...
Thank you for your replies!

Sponsored

MoquitoVerde

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2.0 Turbo
I have the same setup as the original poster (method 105 beadlocks, 37" tire).
My tires that are failing are rear driver and front passenger. They read and update just fine. Randomly I will get a message that I need to service the tpms system then the readings from those tires goes to dashed.
I have the flashcal, set to 24#.
I'm running 28 psi cold.
It worked for 2 days after install then started acting up.
The tps sensor dummy light never turns off.

Did relocating the sensor receiber in the frame help?
Glad to know I'm not alone

RubyToBe

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be 2019 Rubicon
I have the same setup
I have the same setup as the original poster (method 105 beadlocks, 37" tire).
My tires that are failing are rear driver and front passenger. They read and update just fine. Randomly I will get a message that I need to service the tpms system then the readings from those tires goes to dashed.
I have the flashcal, set to 24#.
I'm running 28 psi cold.
It worked for 2 days after install then started acting up.
The tps sensor dummy light never turns off.

Did relocating the sensor receiber in the frame help?
Glad to know I'm not alone
For what it’s worth, got Fuel Beast tire/wheel package from Custom Offsets, who swore their sensors were compatible. Still had same dummy light issue as you. Turns out I was the dummy! That tire actually had a bad valve core and a slow leak! Local firestone swapped it out gratis and no more warning light. :)

OP
OP
simpleJL

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
An update on mine - I rarely get a sensor that fails to read these days. Did fairly regularly when I first put the new rims/tires on.

I haven't changed anything - so I don't know why they randomly started working normal again

Khsonic03

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
An update on mine - I rarely get a sensor that fails to read these days. Did fairly regularly when I first put the new rims/tires on.

I haven't changed anything - so I don't know why they randomly started working normal again
Same update for me here. Only got it once like a week after they were installed and haven't gotten it since *knocks on wood*

RubyToBe

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be 2019 Rubicon
I got my fuel beast wheels and Cooper STT pro tires from Custom Offsets and they assured me no issues w the sensors...when I installed I did have one that had an issue consistently but it actually turned out to be a faulty valve pin! Once that was replaced it was fine. Zero sensor issues. Also successfully adjusted thresholds using Tazer JL Mini. Very happy!

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
After months and months of no issues I had mine rear it’s ugly head but it only lasted a few miles so not sure what happened but it’s all good now, I’m sure it has to do with the offset in my wheels and the way the sensors are positioned inside the wheel, if they continue to give me trouble I will just turn them all off and go back to my old school days of checking them once a month

AEBAB961-057F-4E87-9D2A-FFB3D42FEABB.jpeg

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Anyone find a good fix for this? I still have warning light all the time but my system reads the tire pressure of all four fine. The numbers are greyed out but change as they should and are correct. I've tried numerous TPMS module resets with flashcal, the light goes away but comes back soon. Tires at 29, threshold set to 22.

Roadglide

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
I am also having issues with my TPMS sensors since installing them in Method Double Standards. The odd thing is its only the front wheels, and the sensors seem to switch occasionally. Only happens on the front wheels, but if the right one is reading a pressure, the left one show blank. Eventually the one reading will go blank, and the other tire will start reading a pressure.
The dealer can re flash them and they won't charge you. The dealer is the only one with the updated software at this point to fix them. I know because I did it.

Roadglide

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
I am having the same issue.. New Fuel hostage wheel 37 inch tires. The shop told me they reuse the mopar ones so I would think no issue. He told me to drive it for 2 more days and let him know. I know the other 3 are not reporting correctly at all. I thought about moving the tires around and see if the problem moves or not.
Great looking wheels and Jeep. The dealer can refresh for free. They are the only ones that can do it at this time.
Sponsored