Sponsored

TPMS issues with aftermarket wheels - am I alone?

Clint Eastwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU
I installed a set of ‘18 Rubi takeoffs on my wife’s Sahara last week. They came with factory sensors. All was fine until today. Now I’m getting a system failure message and no pressures.
We've been having issues with loose steering so I put the original wheels/tires back on the Jeep before taking it to the dealer. I didn't want to muddy the waters with a tire/wheel change in the middle of it all. On the way to the dealer the TPMS system started working again. I'm going to reinstall the Rubi takeoffs this afternoon and see what happens.
Sponsored

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Let them go down to 0 PSI first for 5 minutes, then air them back up and put them on.

Sponsored

Clint Eastwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU
Did the zero pressure on all 5. Refilled to 36psi and drove it for about an hour. Still getting the error.

I'm beginning to question whether or not these takeoff Rubi wheels/tires I bought actually have the sensors in them. I thought they were working when I originally put them on because I didn't get any errors for at least a week. But maybe I'm mistaken. I guess I'll have to take it to a tire dealer to see what's up.

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Damn! This is what totally worked for me after several days of losing hope. This is when I got tires shipped pre-mounted/balanced/with new TPMS from an online retailer.

On my JL I re-used my old sensors and had no issues.

Yeah take it to any tire shop they should be able to "detect" the sensors with their handheld wand device.

Clint Eastwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU
Damn! This is what totally worked for me after several days of losing hope. This is when I got tires shipped pre-mounted/balanced/with new TPMS from an online retailer.

On my JL I re-used my old sensors and had no issues.

Yeah take it to any tire shop they should be able to "detect" the sensors with their handheld wand device.

Yeah, I still have sensors in the wheels I took off. Just a PITA to go through having them installed. Which is why I wanted to buy wheels with them already in.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I to had issues with new TPMS sensors with my new wheel and tire setup, first set of sensors all gave accurate pressures but idiot light on but no error message ( weird ) so after I got back from travel the supplier had sent a new set of OEM sensors and this time the fronts read good pressure and the rears were dashed lines and flagged a TPMS system error message and also the idiot light but the local shop who installed them said they could sync up in as little as 20 mins and as long as no as 24 hrs which I called BS but I was convinced to drive on them over the weekend without turning it off with my Tazer so I did and the next day all pressures read and system message was gone but still had the idiot light so I went into the Tazer and set the front and rear alarm points to 25 lbs and the light went out and then I raised it back up to 30 and running 30 on pressure and no issues so far.

I have checked cold and warm pressure with both a digital and analog pressure gage and the EVICTION display is actually very close to what the gages are reading so now just waiting to do my tire rotation to put the new spare into the mix and see what happens, hopefully it will sync up quickly.

Several have commented that the issue may be a result of the -12 offset with the way the sensor sticks straight down and then adding a lift all puts these sensors far out but I’m not sure but my OCD disorder is currently satisfied not seeing any errors

Clint Eastwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU
Mystery solved. Took it to a mechanic this morning. The Rubi wheels/tires I bought don’t have TPMS sensors in them as advertised by the seller.

Sponsored

LennyV

First Name
Lenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl
Mystery solved. Took it to a mechanic this morning. The Rubi wheels/tires I bought don’t have TPMS sensors in them as advertised by the seller.
Disappointing your seller would misrepresent that those wheels had TPMS. Is the seller a forum member?

Clint Eastwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU
Disappointing your seller would misrepresent that those wheels had TPMS. Is the seller a forum member?
Yep. When I found out, I texted him. He claimed to have told me they didn’t have the sensors. But before we met, I had asked in a text message where he said they did have sensors. His ad on this site said they had sensors. He did offer to take them back for a refund. But that’s a huge PITA removing them, hauling them back to him, putting on my old wheels and then having to go find another set. Not to mention the trouble I went through trying to figure out what was wrong.

I felt I had paid a price in line for wheels with sensors $1500, and the proper solution would be for him to refund me $200. He refused. It ain’t the end of the world. I’m disappointed, and I did notify the admins here.

Caveat emptor.

Last edited: