TPMS for 06/05/21 and newer JL's

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I have had this same situation for the last two and a half months. Have had both the Mopar “AA” (Schrader 29093) and the Mopar “AB” (Schrader 29057; currently still installed) TPMS sensors (since having gotten new wheels and tires a few weeks after having taken delivery of the Jeep) and nothing has worked. Goin2Dirt determined that there is a second version of the Mopar “AB” TPMS sensors made by Continental, but no one - including the dealerships I’ve spoken with - yet seem to have any knowledge about this. I’ve already purchased two full sets of sensors and nothing has yet worked. My 2021 JLUR window sticker does denote Continental TPMS sensors.

This summarizes the situation and I presume that you are in the same boat. I would think that some sort of software change could switch the Jeep to instead pick up the 29057s (the first version “AB”s, but I don’t know).

Hopefully will get it sorted before the 2022 392 arrives…
Is this the AB part number you used? 68339096AB

Quadratec has an aftermarket set specifically for them, I used my stock ones so can’t confirm they work.
Sponsored

johngalt312

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5; Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Is this the AB part number you used? 68339096AB

Quadratec has an aftermarket set specifically for them, I used my stock ones so can’t confirm they work.
Yes, I’ve used both the “AA” AND the “AB” versions (the above “AB” Schrader version currently installed) - neither have worked.

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
I have had this same situation for the last two and a half months. Have had both the Mopar “AA” (Schrader 29093) and the Mopar “AB” (Schrader 29057; currently still installed) TPMS sensors (since having gotten new wheels and tires a few weeks after having taken delivery of the Jeep) and nothing has worked. I had sold my original wheel/tires - including TPMS sensors - not having foreseen that this could even be an issue (never has been for all of the vehicles I’ve ever had). Goin2Dirt determined that there is a second version of the Mopar “AB” TPMS sensors made by Continental, but no one - including the dealerships I’ve spoken with - yet seem to have any knowledge about this. I’ve already purchased two full different sets of MOPAR/Schrader sensors and nothing has yet worked. My 2021 JLUR window sticker does denote Continental TPMS sensors.

This summarizes the situation and I presume that you are in the same boat. I would think that some sort of software change could switch the Jeep to instead pick up the 29057s (the first version “AB”s), but I don’t know.

Hopefully will get it sorted before the 2022 392 arrives…
Two and a half months is nuts! The worst part about this is it’s not a major malfunction, it’s just damn annoying.

The curve ball in my situation is… these aren’t new wheels, only the tires were replaced.

When I drove away from the shop, I checked the TPMS and they were all reading.
I’m going to assume what I was seeing was old information that hadn’t updated. After twenty miles or so, I got the first warning on my dash and one wheel dropped out. Shortly after that, the other three stopped reading.

The Jeep has been driven more than enough to give them a chance to reset, like I said in the other post - no luck. So next week, off to the dealership it goes for them to take a look. The service manager at my dealership (who is one of the rare good ones, knows his stuff) says they’ll start by breaking down the tires and reprogramming the TPMS.

We’ll see if that works. If not, I’m confident he’ll figure out what’s up.

OP
OP

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Two and a half months is nuts! The worst part about this is it’s not a major malfunction, it’s just damn annoying.

The curve ball in my situation is… these aren’t new wheels, only the tires were replaced.

When I drove away from the shop, I checked the TPMS and they were all reading.
I’m going to assume what I was seeing was old information that hadn’t updated. After twenty miles or so, I got the first warning on my dash and one wheel dropped out. Shortly after that, the other three stopped reading.

The Jeep has been driven more than enough to give them a chance to reset, like I said in the other post - no luck. So next week, off to the dealership it goes for them to take a look. The service manager at my dealership (who is one of the rare good ones, knows his stuff) says they’ll start by breaking down the tires and reprogramming the TPMS.

We’ll see if that works. If not, I’m confident he’ll figure out what’s up.
Well I would be leary then based on that comment. There is ZERO way to "reprogram" an OE sensor. I mean ZERO. Good luck and keep us posted.

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Merchant Marine
Well I would be leary then based on that comment. There is ZERO way to "reprogram" an OE sensor. I mean ZERO. Good luck and keep us posted.
Yup, I know! Lol
I know you can scan them and upload the fact that they exist via the OBD, but there’s no way to reprogram them as far as I’m aware.

That said, I am looking forward to seeing how this plays out. I’ve rotated the tires on my ‘18 JL numerous times without issue. One tire swap on the Rubi and boom - mystery issue. 🤔

@Goin2drt With your experience and knowledge about the system, any thought as to why a simple tire swap would render the OE TPMS inop?

Last edited:

Sponsored

daktulos

First Name
Alexandre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Sarge Green Willys
Look what I receive this week for my August build Wrangler. I made an order at the beginning of September at the dealer according to my VIN. The part was BO at the time.
It's a Continental TPMS and it's working perfectly fine on the new wheels I put this morning. Just a few minutes of driving for the auto-learn to kick in.
The sad thing about this is that if you order the AB part you may still receive the Schrader TPMS.

Jeep Wrangler JL TPMS for 06/05/21 and newer JL's 2021-10-12 16.22.34

Jeep Wrangler JL TPMS for 06/05/21 and newer JL's 2021-10-12 16.21.39

OP
OP

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yup, I know! Lol
I know you can scan them and upload the fact that they exist via the OBD, but there’s no way to reprogram them as far as I’m aware.

That said, I am looking forward to seeing how this plays out. I’ve rotated the tires on my ‘18 JL numerous times without issue. One tire swap on the Rubi and boom - mystery issue. 🤔

@Goin2drt With your experience and knowledge about the system, any thought as to why a simple tire swap would render the OE TPMS inop?
Yes it happened a lot in the 18’s. Once adding thicker ply tires and lifting you are moving the sensor further away and thicker rubber to transmit. It should not be an issue and most everyone after 18 didn’t have the problem but that is usually the cause. TPMS is just a simple radio frequency but it is also very fin and it the vehicle doesn’t pick up the transmission literally on every tire rotation it will turn the light on. You can still get accurate PSI readings but the system stills sees an issue so the light will be on.

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Merchant Marine
Yes it happened a lot in the 18’s. Once adding thicker ply tires and lifting you are moving the sensor further away and thicker rubber to transmit. It should not be an issue and most everyone after 18 didn’t have the problem but that is usually the cause. TPMS is just a simple radio frequency but it is also very fin and it the vehicle doesn’t pick up the transmission literally on every tire rotation it will turn the light on. You can still get accurate PSI readings but the system stills sees an issue so the light will be on.
Thank you for the info. Much appreciated!

johngalt312

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5; Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Look what I receive this week for my August build Wrangler. I made an order at the beginning of September at the dealer according to my VIN. The part was BO at the time.
It's a Continental TPMS and it's working perfectly fine on the new wheels I put this morning. Just a few minutes of driving for the auto-learn to kick in.
The sad thing about this is that if you order the AB part you may still receive the Schrader TPMS.

This is what I presumably need. Where are these available/where did you order from? Thank you.

daktulos

First Name
Alexandre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Sarge Green Willys
This is what I presumably need. Where are these available/where did you order from? Thank you.
I ordered directly from the dealer. They where BO nationwide (Canada) at the beginning of September. I just hope that Jeep realized the problem with the original 68339096AB part number and will send Continental TPMS in the future or simply reissue a new part number.
What I suggest is if you are certain that you have Continental TPMS is to order them true the dealer and double check in the bag before paying for them. At least it's easy to differentiate a Schrader VS Continental.

Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Any updates on this? Needing to track down Continental sensors it seems and the manager at @Discount Tire says he can’t even order them.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
OP
OP

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And it will be the same protocol as the 29057 or Schrader version. No one has the Conti protocol to load. The actual OE conti sensor has not been released to aftermarket yet as all that are produced are going to Jeep. This is the latest from Conti as of Friday last week. I promise you all if you need a Conti sensor the only place is dealer part only. They both scan as a 29057 however the 29057, Schrader programmable or any other programmable will not RELEARN in a Jeep that came with the Conti sensor.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Dealer only right now (and they are on back order) on the Conti’s. No other option. Keep them from your stock wheels for now.
yep thanks, this is what we did and not 300 ft down the road and the Jeep picked them up.

Complicating the issue was their hand scanner couldn’t connect to the Jeep computer. They were thinking they could connect to the ODB port and reprogram for the new sensors.

Out of curiosity, how do you know so much about these sensors?
Sponsored