Sponsored

TPMS for 06/05/21 and newer JL's

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Wanted to start a new thread with some information as we have found out some details and tested a few sensors thanks to a few folks.

1. Jeep definitely assigned the same part number to two different sensors - 68339096AB. They will have to address this and assign another part# to differentiate them but who knows when they will. We know this because some of the newer JL's the 29057 has worked no problem and those had a Schrader body style.
2. There are two TPMS body styles that I have attached. A Schrader body style and a Continental body style. (your window sticker MAY NOT be accurate. It could say you have Conti but you have Schrader.
3. If you are wanting new wheels and need TPMS here is our suggestions.
  • Pull a TPMS out of your stock wheels and match the body style of sensor.
    • If it is a Schrader style body then you are good and can order the Schrader 29057's, dealer part and/or most shops can program a "programmable" sensor like a 33500 or 33700 for you as that is what protocol is in the TPMS tool.
    • If it is the Conti style body then TAKE OUT the TPMS and use them in your new wheels. There is no other option right now (we are going to run a test programming a set of 33500 as a Grand Wagoneer but we think it is the 29057 protocol it will load but will only know once someone mounts them). It is a new protocol that will also be used in the new Grand Cherokee L and the new Grand Wagoneers however Conti has not released the aftermarket part number (not sure if they even know it) AND the dealers do not have this part (they will only have the 29057 body style)
The only other thing that could be a possibility is the RELEARN process is different with these new Conti sensors. Jeep's are auto relearn and all of them you just drive to get the relearn done. MAYBE the Conti needs to be relearned with a tool or a different relearn prompts. Does anyone see a "reset TPMS" prompt anywhere in the menus/sub menus? Our 2018 JL does not but doesn't mean they did not add it.

We can scan the Conti sensor as a 21 and newer or 22 Jeep JL and it will scan. We can also scan a 29057 as the same vehicle and it will scan HOWEVER we know that the 29057 WILL NOT work in a JL that has the Conti sensor. Protocols are close but they are not the same.

We hope this helps. Stay tuned but it is a shit show right now.
Schrader
Jeep Wrangler JL TPMS for 06/05/21 and newer JL's Schrader 9096

Conti
Jeep Wrangler JL TPMS for 06/05/21 and newer JL's Conti 9096
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I didn't see any reset in screen. A buddy of mine attempted to access his TPMS module to reset via his Autel MaxiCom MK908, and it errors out in attempted connection.

OP
OP

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn't see any reset in screen. A buddy of mine attempted to access his TPMS module to reset via his Autel MaxiCom MK908, and it errors out in attempted connection.
Yeah it wouldn't be with a tool or OBD connection. It would be something a customer could be without any of that, just in the different menu screens. Thanks for checking. We did not think this was it.

Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
To what end? What is the concern for the customer? Meaning, why should I be concerned?

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
To what end? What is the concern for the customer? Meaning, why should I be concerned?
The Conti (new since June) and Schrader (all other JL) replacements are not cross compatible. If you have Conti's and have your wheels/tires changed, the standard replacements do not work.

When we did ours, I could not find any replacements that worked in stock, and had to swap them out of the OEMs. Since then a couple options seem to have popped up.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
But what is the issue, what should I be concerned about. They don't work. So? Will the Jeep not start, will there be lights and sirens, will there be an error message at all times, will there be an error message if I go to the screen that should show the tire pressure? Why should I be concerned that the TPMS doesn't work.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
But what is the issue, what should I be concerned about. They don't work. So? Will the Jeep not start, will there be lights and sirens, will there be an error message at all times, will there be an error message if I go to the screen that should show the tire pressure? Why should I be concerned that the TPMS doesn't work.
IIRC, TPMS error message, auto switch to pressure screen at startup, and TPMS light always lit.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Gotcha. thanks.

Sponsored

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
Jeep Wrangler JL TPMS for 06/05/21 and newer JL's 11CCB273-9CA9-4990-BF7F-583C705EDAD2

This. You get this if the TPMS stop working. Been dealing with this for a week. Swapped the OEM tires out for some 35x12.5 R17 BFG KO2s (21 JLUR) and the TPMS fails to reset. Had them scanned and they are definitely there/reading. My first thought was the shop failed to reinstall them (it happens) but not the case. It’s been driven every day for a week plus and no joy. Gonna have to go to the dealership to see what’s up.

OP
OP

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is some reading for you - https://www.bridgestonetire.com/learn/maintenance/tire-pressure-monitoring-system-how-tpms-works/

Sure you could do it the old fashioned way and check your tires daily before driving to thus reduce unnecessary tire wear from having improper inflated tires or worse yet a life threatening accident, but then again you could also be struck by lighting thus causing a bad day.

Problem is most don't check their tires so like all regulations, someone got killed so now we need a dummy light. To answer your question the light will be on all the time but you could remove it with a Tazer or black electrical tape.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks. I know how it works, just not whether the Jeep version of all that impacts driveability.

I don't need the TPMS to tell me if my tires are low. They stay within a few pounds of where I inflate them, for months at a time. The cold/hot weather changes that slightly, but not enough to add air. I check them every few months if one seems low or if the vehicle starts to pull a little. In fact, I've been running low for a month, with the error message on all the time. I didn't want to pull out the compressor because by afternoon, sitting in the sun, and then driving they are back to 34 - 35 psi anyway. If it's just an error message on the screen, I'm ok with that. No one's going to die (in my rig) just because a tire(s) is a little low, or the light it on.

johngalt312

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5; Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Wanted to start a new thread with some information as we have found out some details and tested a few sensors thanks to a few folks.

1. Jeep definitely assigned the same part number to two different sensors - 68339096AB. They will have to address this and assign another part# to differentiate them but who knows when they will. We know this because some of the newer JL's the 29057 has worked no problem and those had a Schrader body style.
2. There are two TPMS body styles that I have attached. A Schrader body style and a Continental body style. (your window sticker MAY NOT be accurate. It could say you have Conti but you have Schrader.
3. If you are wanting new wheels and need TPMS here is our suggestions.
  • Pull a TPMS out of your stock wheels and match the body style of sensor.
    • If it is a Schrader style body then you are good and can order the Schrader 29057's, dealer part and/or most shops can program a "programmable" sensor like a 33500 or 33700 for you as that is what protocol is in the TPMS tool.
    • If it is the Conti style body then TAKE OUT the TPMS and use them in your new wheels. There is no other option right now (we are going to run a test programming a set of 33500 as a Grand Wagoneer but we think it is the 29057 protocol it will load but will only know once someone mounts them). It is a new protocol that will also be used in the new Grand Cherokee L and the new Grand Wagoneers however Conti has not released the aftermarket part number (not sure if they even know it) AND the dealers do not have this part (they will only have the 29057 body style)
The only other thing that could be a possibility is the RELEARN process is different with these new Conti sensors. Jeep's are auto relearn and all of them you just drive to get the relearn done. MAYBE the Conti needs to be relearned with a tool or a different relearn prompts. Does anyone see a "reset TPMS" prompt anywhere in the menus/sub menus? Our 2018 JL does not but doesn't mean they did not add it.

We can scan the Conti sensor as a 21 and newer or 22 Jeep JL and it will scan. We can also scan a 29057 as the same vehicle and it will scan HOWEVER we know that the 29057 WILL NOT work in a JL that has the Conti sensor. Protocols are close but they are not the same.

We hope this helps. Stay tuned but it is a shit show right now.
Schrader
Jeep Wrangler JL TPMS for 06/05/21 and newer JL's 11CCB273-9CA9-4990-BF7F-583C705EDAD2

Conti
No TPMS reset functionality in any of my touchscreen or steering wheel menus (2021 JLUR; mid-end of July 2021 build date).

johngalt312

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5; Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
11CCB273-9CA9-4990-BF7F-583C705EDAD2.jpeg

This. You get this if the TPMS stop working. Been dealing with this for a week. Swapped the OEM tires out for some 35x12.5 R17 BFG KO2s (21 JLUR) and the TPMS fails to reset. Had them scanned and they are definitely there/reading. My first thought was the shop failed to reinstall them (it happens) but not the case. It’s been driven every day for a week plus and no joy. Gonna have to go to the dealership to see what’s up.
I have had this same situation for the last two and a half months. Have had both the Mopar “AA” (Schrader 29093) and the Mopar “AB” (Schrader 29057; currently still installed) TPMS sensors (since having gotten new wheels and tires a few weeks after having taken delivery of the Jeep) and nothing has worked. I had sold my original wheel/tires - including TPMS sensors - not having foreseen that this could even be an issue (never has been for all of the vehicles I’ve ever had). Goin2Dirt determined that there is a second version of the Mopar “AB” TPMS sensors made by Continental, but no one - including the dealerships I’ve spoken with - yet seem to have any knowledge about this. I’ve already purchased two full different sets of MOPAR/Schrader sensors and nothing has yet worked. My 2021 JLUR window sticker does denote Continental TPMS sensors.

This summarizes the situation and I presume that you are in the same boat. I would think that some sort of software change could switch the Jeep to instead pick up the 29057s (the first version “AB”s), but I don’t know.

Hopefully will get it sorted before the 2022 392 arrives…
Sponsored

Last edited: