TPMS 2020 Sahara vs 2022 Rubicon

Flybaby

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler
I recently purchased a set of 2022 Rubicon take-offs for my 2020 Sahara. Fitment worked out well and I have not experienced any issues while driving. The TPMS system on the other hand is a problem. It appears that my 2020 has a seven-digit code and the 2022 has an eight-digit code for the TPMS. Now I am speaking with the local garage, and they have expressed concern about switching out my original OEM TPMS into the new Rubicon wheels because they say the diameter of the hole from the old wheel to the new wheel may be different and too loose for the old valve stem. Can a new valve stem be purchased that will fit the new wheel, yet screw onto the old OEM TPMS?

If anyone has had a similar experience, please let me know. Also, does anyone know if it is possible to flash the system to accept the 8-digit code? If this could be done, the new TPMS sensors would read correctly I think as they do show up on the scan tool.
Sponsored

Chrismeece74

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Freedom Unlimited
No you can't flash anything to make it work. June of 2021 they switched to a different TPMS sensor I believe the frequency is different so you'll have to get new sensors if they won't move your old ones over.

OP
OP
Flybaby

Flybaby

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler
Found out the garage is full of it. Ordered new valve stems and screws on-line from TPMS.com to replace the new TPMS units with my old ones.

I am in the process of switching out the new rim TPMS sensors for my old ones. For $100 I purchased a Bead Buster 455; and it works well on the new Rubicon rims, but the older polished Sahara rims, not so good as the polished rounded front will not let the smaller Buster work as well on those rims. Did come up with a strapping fix though. All five (5) have now been broken down and the TPMS units removed. Will be re-installing in the new rims on Saturday. Just could not see paying a tire shop $35/tire for eight (8) tires too complete something that simple.

I do not know the reason for the change in the modules and TPMS units to more digits, but I wish they would have left well enough alone.
Sponsored