Sponsored

Toyota to Jeep...yes or no?

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
You could do what I did and have both. I have a Toyota Tundra and Jeep Wrangler among other vehicles.

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
As someone who owns a JLU rubicon AND a mildly lifted 5th Gen 4Runner TRD off-road. I’d make the decision based on how much you plan to be off road, and what type of terrain you want to tackle.

My jeep has been rock solid for 3 years thus far. I absolutely love it, and I Daily Drive it. But my Wife’s 4Runner feels like a higher quality vehicle overall in terms of fit and finish. It’s a little bit more comfortable on the road too.

I’d personally take the Jeep every time; but I like to use my vehicle to play as much as to get me from point A to B. I happily drive the jeep on road, but I can admit that the wrangler feels like an off-road first, on-road second type of vehicle. It comes alive in rocks, and over rough terrain, and sort of “gets by” everywhere else. The 4Runner feels at home on the road, and (at least compared to the jeep) gets by off-road.

It sounds like you’ve been happy with the Taco, I think you’d probably appreciate the Runner. The jeep would absolutely blow your mind on the trails, but would probably feel like a downgrade everywhere else.

Sponsored

Tharris

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 4dr (JLU) Sting Gray
I'm looking for advice. I have a 2020 Tacoma TRD off road now. I like it, but I keep looking at new Jeeps too...along with new 4runners. If I went wrangler it would be a 2 door Willy's 3.6, auto, hard top. The big question is quality/reliability. The 3.6 seem to be pretty well sorted out, and I've heard good things about the ZF 8sd. It's all the other little things I worry about with Jeep. My last jeep was a trailhawk and the tranny went at 30k miles. So that kind of left a bad taste in my mouth.

If I'm being honest with myself my Tacoma will probable go anywhere I will ever need to off road. It's stock other than 32 inch tires. That's really all you can do with their IFS before you get into lots of money and mods and still seem to loose the reliability I want. Solid axels and 33's from the factory are the big pluses for the Wrangler. That said it would be a daily driver, and on road most of the time.

I keep going back and forth, not sure what to do.
I’ve built jeeps and 4runners. Jeeps are superior for rock crawling, otherwise 4 runner/tacoma has significantly better reliability and higher resale.
I just sold my Jeep, and I still have my 4Runner.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Compared to my 05 4R V8 my 21 392 is a Better On Road vehicle - rides better, much less harsh jolts with bumps and no excessive sway. Off Road need not be mentioned. Over 200 more HP for a little over 2 less Mpg, I’ll take it. Only a few problems in 210K mi but since giving it to my grandson upon 21 Wrangler purchase- fuel pump, sunroof, front end problems, and now some smog blower system buried under the intake manifold and an expensive repair. I told him upon gift to drive it until it dies, obituary being considered, nothing lasts forever-
Uh- except Dad’s 3A that’s 74 years old and counting just might.

autotragic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLR 6MT
I happily drive the jeep on road, but I can admit that the wrangler feels like an off-road first, on-road second type of vehicle. It comes alive in rocks, and over rough terrain, and sort of “gets by” everywhere else.
Call me crazy but I feel like this is a good thing. Does every SUV in existence have to be watered down for the masses? Isn't it a good thing that there's at least one actual enthusiast driven off-road capable SUV in the world. I'll never understand people that just want to keep watering down the Wrangler because it's not like a Tacoma or a 4Runner or their ex-wives Nissan whatever. It's okay for the Wrangler to be rough around the edges there's enough other vehicles to suit people that don't like wranglers as it is.

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
Call me crazy but I feel like this is a good thing. Does every SUV in existence have to be watered down for the masses? Isn't it a good thing that there's at least one actual enthusiast driven off-road capable SUV in the world. I'll never understand people that just want to keep watering down the Wrangler because it's not like a Tacoma or a 4Runner or their ex-wives Nissan whatever. It's okay for the Wrangler to be rough around the edges there's enough other vehicles to suit people that don't like wranglers as it is.
I agree 100%, I find the driving experience of the wrangler very endearing. I literally look for excuses to be out in it. But a LOT of people don’t seem to.

I hope they never water down the Wrangler. The moment they ditch SFA, is the moment I’m not a prospective wrangler buyer anymore.

Sponsored

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Rent a Jeep for a weekend or longer and drive some trails youve driven in your Tacoma. Then make your decision.
Very good advice. You are on a Jeep forum, and most here are Jeep nuts (include myself). That said, a ‘Yota will be a better DD than a Jeep, plus Toyota quality is legendary, Jeep LACK of quality Is equally legendary. you stated that light off road is what you do. I’ve got a Jeep (and have literally had one for decades). I use it to hunt, go fishin‘, explore that fire road just to see where it goes, and as a toad behind the motorhome. For those uses it’s great. To live with as a DD (esp without other options in the Garage?) Nope. ‘Yota every time.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
Pretty much no one wants the Wrangler watered down...pretty much everyone wants it built better and by an automaker that doesn't treat it's customers like s#1t. There are always going to be lots of comparisons to other mid-size SUVs because, well, THAT'S HOW IT GOES. The problem isn't that it doesn't stack up well to mainstream mid-size SUVs...the problem is that it's priced much higher, and isn't built as well. If FCA would simply price the Wrangler appropriately (cause better quality is not in FCA's range of capability), the vast majority of these complaints would go away.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I like my 2 door a lot...as a second vehicle. I doubt I would buy a 4 door Wrangler (I don't need the space). My commute is 35 miles each way, mostly highway. Someone with a shorter commute may not care about the noise or ride quality as much. I stopped dealing with the Jeep dealer I bought from because of their service department, the second dealer I have been using has been fine so far as far as service goes. My door hinges (2019) are bubbling under the paint (not as bad as some, but still happening), not sure how good they will be at fixing them.

I have to admit, my thoughts have bounced around on my 2019 JLR, whether to keep it and lift it, or trade it next year for a Land Cruiser or 4Runner, assuming prices on those aren't outrageous. While I still enjoy the Wrangler, I really don't take the top off that much, don't really need the extreme capability, and kinda sucks as a road trip vehicle (at least for me). But it is fun to take to the beach (once you get off the highway).

AZJeepGuy

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Hydro Blue
I'm looking for advice. I have a 2020 Tacoma TRD off road now. I like it, but I keep looking at new Jeeps too...along with new 4runners. If I went wrangler it would be a 2 door Willy's 3.6, auto, hard top. The big question is quality/reliability.
If the big question is reliability and quality then stick with Toyota. Stellantis vehicles have the worst rating out there. Mine is trash. But I will trade it to you: Your Tacoma and $25k.

JLfromCA

First Name
JL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! 2 Door Rubicon/2024 Sarge Green 392
The question is, straight axle or IFS ?
Sponsored