millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Trying to decide on new tires for the 4xe Sahara I have on order.
I can't leave the duellers on and it's killing me the wife likes the 20" wheels.
So, I at least get to swap the tires before we pick it up.
Have had KO2's on the last few jeeps and like them but they are only available in D rated (119/116S) in 275/60/20. The Toyo AT III's are 115T in 275/60/20. Toyo's are also 13lbs lighter per tire. Which is why I am considering them.
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Think I'd lean towards the BFGs. only because they have a slightly more aggressive sidewall. Might see if Falken Wildpeak comes in that size, they typically have a much deeper tread than the BFG and Toyo ATs. Goodyear Duratrac comes in that size and they're a solid choice. Also if Mickey Thompson Baja Boss ATs come in that size that should get a look too.
EDIT~Falken & Mickey have that size, the Falken in D rated, the Mickey only in an E. The Falken has an 18/32nd tread depth, Mickeys have 18.5 depth vs BFG and Toyo that have 15, and Goodyear w/ 16.

Last edited:
OP
OP
millerjl

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Will do some more research on those. 50/50 split on the poll so far.

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
So far I love my Toyo A/TIII’s in 35x11.5x17.

Finally going to test them out this weekend on some trails in Onaway MI.

The lug spacing is slightly farther apart than the KO2’s and therefore they don’t sling all the small rocks. I think they are both solid A/T tires. But the weight savings and being load range C was a perfect fit for my build.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Can they both lose? Lol.

The BFG wears poorly, throws gravel like crazy, isn't good in the snow, isn't good in mud, has high rolling resistance, is expensive, etc.

The Toyo is ugly, the tread pattern is milder than the outgoing version, the sidewalls are too mild, they got rid of the xtreme versions, and Toyo/Nitto tires are notorious for being awful in wet weather.

I guess if I HAD to run one of these again, I'd go BFG. So I voted for that one.

Sponsored

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
Having run both, the Toyo ATIII is way more aggressive than the BFG, and I've been very happy with them. In my experience, similar wet weather performance, better snow performance, similar road performance. Don't have much mud in CO to test them with :)

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
Can they both lose? Lol.

The BFG wears poorly, throws gravel like crazy, isn't good in the snow, isn't good in mud, has high rolling resistance, is expensive, etc.

The Toyo is ugly, the tread pattern is milder than the outgoing version, the sidewalls are too mild, they got rid of the xtreme versions, and Toyo/Nitto tires are notorious for being awful in wet weather.

I guess if I HAD to run one of these again, I'd go BFG. So I voted for that one.
I beg to differ on the Toyo. I think it's appearance is just fine and its wet road handling is really good. The tread depth is deeper than the BF Goodrich's as well not to mention the plethora of siping.

https://www.toyotires.com/product/open-country-at3

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
Pictures really do not do them justice. They look super mild in pictures, and decently aggressive in person. Here's a comparison vs the Falken MTs my jeep came with.

Jeep Wrangler JL Toyo AT III vs BFG KO2 20201114_131655

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
I've run both tires and prefer the AT III's over the KO2's for sand & rock traction in this area.

They are quieter, track well and there's no wobble or vibration. I found that, as the KO2's aged, that the sidewalls started to weaken which makes for a very unpleasant driving experience.

Good luck with your choice.

Sponsored

xylodan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Can they both lose? Lol.

I agree with your views on the BFG, but I did like my TOYO (had RT) even on wet roads. What do you run?

OP
OP
millerjl

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase

The lug spacing is slightly farther apart than the KO2’s and therefore they don’t sling all the small rocks. I think they are both solid A/T tires. But the weight savings and being load range C was a perfect fit for my build.
I love KO2’s and if this size was C rated it wouldn’t even be a question. As it’s going on a 4xe… how concerned am I with almost 60lbs of added tire weight.

ChadTx

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking to order 2021 Wrangler Rubicon 2 door

Really leaning towards this tire and the same exact size u have. Are u still liking them? Do u have any pictures of them on ur Jeep? Does the 11.5 tire seem just right or a little narrow? Any input helps

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
Really leaning towards this tire and the same exact size u have. Are u still liking them? Do u have any pictures of them on ur Jeep? Does the 11.5 tire seem just right or a little narrow? Any input helps
I have done a few Michigan trail rides on a variety of surfaces. Dirt, mud, rocky and sandy. I am extremely happy with their off road and on road performance.

I think the width is perfect, as they are inside the fenders and that is a big help in keeping crap from having a direct line from tire to body. They are less prone to grab every groove on the road and pull the Jeep around. I truly do love look and stance of Jeeps with wider tires, but with most things, there is a trade off.

They fit the factory rims and the tire and rim weight combo is about 84 pounds. It fits the factory spare tire carrier and just rubs the factory steel rear bumper lightly.

When the time comes for replacement, I will go with the same tire or the next iteration if it exists then.

Jeep Wrangler JL Toyo AT III vs BFG KO2 3F1C06C8-A483-4280-A798-FCC67985CB82

Jeep Wrangler JL Toyo AT III vs BFG KO2 DF6EB2F6-C665-46F0-AD08-8411ABDEE7E0

Jeep Wrangler JL Toyo AT III vs BFG KO2 2C74957B-59FF-4922-8769-E715AF67557F

Jeep Wrangler JL Toyo AT III vs BFG KO2 97A314D4-E153-4403-80BC-8D764BF2A2D7
Sponsored