Sponsored

Towing with a 2 door Jeep Wrangler. Can you fault my testing methodology?

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
Can you find fault in my testing methodology?

My wife and I go camping from time to time. We use a tent. A photo is below.

Two years ago, I took delivery of a 2 door Jeep Wrangler (I LOVE MY Jeep!)

The Jeep does not have much storage space so I considered getting a box trailer for camping. The towing capacity of my Jeep is 750 kilo (~1,600 pounds).

I feel that 750 kilo is way too high so I set myself an arbitrary limit of 450 kilo (~1,000 pounds).

As I researched box trailers, I stumbled over tear drop trailers.

A basic stripped down tear drop, without a galley, without cupboards, without a battery, without electronics, without a water tank, will come in at about 350 kilo unladen (~ 770 pounds). When we add our water and camping gear we would be hard pressed to reach 450 kilo (~1,000 pounds).

I have now done a test to determine whether I can tow 450 kilos comfortably.

Can you find fault in my testing methodology?

I set a course whereby I drive over a series of small hills. Much like a roller coaster. I need to pull the trailer up the hills and brake going down the other side. The remainder of my course is suburban driving and some highway driving. I selected a length of highway which is mostly up hill and when I turn around of course it is mostly down hill.

Before I started, I checked my tyre pressure, I topped up the fuel and the wiper reservoir. When camping I remove the back seats. For the test, I put the back sets in to represent any cargo we might carry in the back.

Test 1. I drove my Jeep around my course to become familiar with the course. At certain points I checked the engine revs and the gear selected by the 8 speed automatic.

Test 2. I rented a box trailer (see photo) which weighs 200 Kilo unladen (~440 pounds). It towed like it was not there!

Test 3. I loaded some bricks in the back to bring the weight up to 300 kilo (~660 pounds). Again I didn’t notice the trailer.

Test 4. I hired a heavier trailer (see photo) which weighs 350 Kilo unladen (~770 pounds). Again, hardly noticeable.

Test 5. I loaded some bricks in the back to bring the weight up to 450 kilo (~1,000 pounds). I didn’t notice the trailer except for two moments.

During Test 5, there was some road works and I had to stop on a steep up hill slope. As I accelerated away, I noticed the weight at the back.

During Test 5, at one point I was going down a slope and came to a stop at a corner right at the base of the hill. I noticed the weight as I came to a stop.

Results:

The engine revs and the gear selection hardly changed for tests 1-4. The revs are typically I the 1,500 – 2,000 RPM range. In test 5, as I headed up a steep slope, from a standing start, the revs almost reached 3,000 RPM. On the open road the revs hardly varied from test to test.

Another measurement is the height from the ground to the fenders measured over the axles.
For tests 1-4 the front measurement was 94.0 cm and for the back 93.5 cm
For test 5 the front measurement was 94.5 cm and for the back 93.0 cm

I conclude that my 2 door Jeep can tow 450 kilo easily.

I am aware that a tear drop trailer can act like a sail and pick up a cross wind or the wind from a passing truck. I was unable to test that. Tear drop trailers are popular so I could not rent one.

Any comments?

Jeep Wrangler JL Towing with a 2 door Jeep Wrangler. Can you fault my testing methodology? 2

Jeep Wrangler JL Towing with a 2 door Jeep Wrangler. Can you fault my testing methodology? a (1)

Jeep Wrangler JL Towing with a 2 door Jeep Wrangler. Can you fault my testing methodology? a (2)

Jeep Wrangler JL Towing with a 2 door Jeep Wrangler. Can you fault my testing methodology? a (3)

Jeep Wrangler JL Towing with a 2 door Jeep Wrangler. Can you fault my testing methodology? a (4)
Sponsored

OP
OP
Joe98

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Subaru has a longer wheel base than my Jeep but it has a lower towing capacity.
It has 650 Kilos (~1,430 pounds).

Jeep Wrangler JL Towing with a 2 door Jeep Wrangler. Can you fault my testing methodology? Subaru VX

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
You’ll be fine with a small teardrop. Tongue weight will be a factor, so make sure it’s well balanced.

Also, get some camo net for your camp site so the police helicopters don’t spot you and force you back home.:LOL:

El Jefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
I too have a 2-door & am tired of sleeping on the ground. Would love to find a teardrop that I fit into (6'3", 270 lbs) AND is easily towable by my 2-door. I know what the tow ratings say - but I've never found a vehicle that was confidence-inspiring when towing at max. With 2000# being the rating here in the US, I would think 1500# fully loaded is about as much as I'd like to tow. Would love to hear personal experience w/ 2 door teardrop towing.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
My only comment is that your fire is too large. I'm not sure how helpful that is to you, but I thought it was a worthwhile comment to make.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Joe98

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A teardrop manufacturer, allowed me to borrow a trailer for a couple of hours. It has stuff inside so I guessed the weight at 500 kilos.

It has mechanical brakes and therefore no brake controller.

It was easy to tow but it ate up the fuel.

With the trailers above I can see out my rear vision window. With this trailer I cannot.

Jeep Wrangler JL Towing with a 2 door Jeep Wrangler. Can you fault my testing methodology? Teardro

OP
OP
Joe98

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In the end I went with a box trailer together with a new tent and new thicker sleeping mattresses

The plan is that the jeep is the "dry area" for spare clothes and sleeping gear. The trailer is the "wet area" for tent and anything else that might get wet.

This is the world's best box trailer!

It weighs 250kilo unladen ~550 pounds

The tub is all plastic and the steel frame is galvanised so the thing will never rust.

The lid is plastic and aerodynamic so easy to tow. The draw bar is a bit longer than the standard box trailer so it is easy to reverse.

Jeep Wrangler JL Towing with a 2 door Jeep Wrangler. Can you fault my testing methodology? 1

Jeep Wrangler JL Towing with a 2 door Jeep Wrangler. Can you fault my testing methodology? 2

Jeep Wrangler JL Towing with a 2 door Jeep Wrangler. Can you fault my testing methodology? 3

Jeep Wrangler JL Towing with a 2 door Jeep Wrangler. Can you fault my testing methodology? 4

Jared1956

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 1964 CJ3B 1967 CJ5
You’re certainly cautious, good for you! I trailered a ton of stuff with 2 doors over the years, most recently firewood with my last 21 JLR. I love them as a tow vehicle, small and maneuverable and by using a trailer you don’t beat up your truck bed if you had say a Gladiator. You can beat the trailer up and get another and it won’t lower the resale value of your Jeep.
59E84D2B-A62D-46E1-A08D-DC18B2B68622.jpeg

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I beat mine up, then sand and re paint it again. I need a new wood deck now. I removed all of the rotten stuff, now I need to find new planks for it. A well built trailer will last decades if you're willing to do the upkeep.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
In the end I went with a box trailer together with a new tent and new thicker sleeping mattresses

The plan is that the jeep is the "dry area" for spare clothes and sleeping gear. The trailer is the "wet area" for tent and anything else that might get wet.

This is the world's best box trailer!

It weighs 250kilo unladen ~550 pounds

The tub is all plastic and the steel frame is galvanised so the thing will never rust.

The lid is plastic and aerodynamic so easy to tow. The draw bar is a bit longer than the standard box trailer so it is easy to reverse.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg
So this trailer is just to move your tent and gear?
Our friends in Germany tow up to 5000 lbs with a 2 door, so the US rating is very conservative.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Joe98

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So this trailer is just to move your tent and gear?
Our friends in Germany tow up to 5000 lbs with a 2 door, so the US rating is very conservative.
Yes that right! On the highway I am very conservative.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Jeep Wrangler JL Towing with a 2 door Jeep Wrangler. Can you fault my testing methodology? IMG_5036.JPEG

Jeep Wrangler JL Towing with a 2 door Jeep Wrangler. Can you fault my testing methodology? IMG_5033.JPEG

I ended up with the 2017 Ruger Trailer with roof top tent. Weight is about 850 - 900 lbs empty and at most 1,200 lbs fully loaded.

I found it to be an easy pull, though going up long hills like the one to get to the Eisenhower Tunnel here in Colorado you will know it's back there. I had to drop a gear to keep things rolling and there was no way I was going to be passing anything but bigger trucks with heavier loads.

I was looking for a trailer like yours, but was notified by the boss that ground tent camping is a non-starter. In fact, I may be limited to hotels very soon. I'll be using the trailer at least one more season though. It's replacement will likely be something like yours that I can pull the cover off of and use for utility purposes.

Nice find. 🍻

El Jefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
I'd love to find more 2-door owners towing teardrops. Especially if a taller person or two is in it.
Sponsored