Towing with 3.0 Diesel

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
First - please don't respond "that's what Jeep recommends" unless you have a specific reason that you think that recommendation is valid.

So, I know that all 4-doors are rated for 3500lbs. However, the 3.0 diesels have upgraded axles, upgraded transmissions, and more than enough torque. Add to that the "tow package" that adds the better alternator (among other things).

The hitch that "supposedly" comes with the tow package is a Class 2. However, a Class 2 has a 1.25" receiver size. Measuring mine, I have a 2" receiver. This means that I have a Class 3 hitch, which is rated for up to 5000lbs.

My question is - why is it unsafe for me to tow a boat/trailer weighing 4500lbs?

Is it brakes? Frame? Those are the only reasons I can really think that may be a weak point. I know I have the power. I've towed a 3800lbs boat/trailer in the middle of the summer (flat ground - I'm in LA) and I had no temps that rose more than 10*F above normal.

Thanks for the replies, but again - I'm not looking for "that's what it's rated for" answers. I really think that a 3.0 diesel can tow more than a 2.0 turbo. I hope I'm right, but I don't want to be wrong!
Sponsored

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Ecodiesel
First - please don't respond "that's what Jeep recommends" unless you have a specific reason that you think that recommendation is valid.

So, I know that all 4-doors are rated for 3500lbs. However, the 3.0 diesels have upgraded axles, upgraded transmissions, and more than enough torque. Add to that the "tow package" that adds the better alternator (among other things).

The hitch that "supposedly" comes with the tow package is a Class 2. However, a Class 2 has a 1.25" receiver size. Measuring mine, I have a 2" receiver. This means that I have a Class 3 hitch, which is rated for up to 5000lbs.

My question is - why is it unsafe for me to tow a boat/trailer weighing 4500lbs?

Is it brakes? Frame? Those are the only reasons I can really think that may be a weak point. I know I have the power. I've towed a 3800lbs boat/trailer in the middle of the summer (flat ground - I'm in LA) and I had no temps that rose more than 10*F above normal.

Thanks for the replies, but again - I'm not looking for "that's what it's rated for" answers. I really think that a 3.0 diesel can tow more than a 2.0 turbo. I hope I'm right, but I don't want to be wrong!
AFAIK the main factors are wheelbase, brakes, and cooling capacity. I can say that towing this trailer 500 miles the other day, I saw oil temps hit 250. Still technically within the range of the engine design, as it was still in the middle of the gauge. However I could see it being an issue over time. This trailer, when loaded, was only about 2100 pounds but is a massive parachute with the top on so the drag is no joke.

20210403_141840-01.jpeg

OP
OP
00 Trans Ram

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Good info. I can definitely see upgraded brakes perhaps needed, depending upon trailer brake status.

Also, a load leveling hitch would have to help.

mchastings

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Sport S 2Dr / 2015 Rubicon JKU/2020 Willys JLU Diesel
Occupation
Working to pay my Taxes
Good info. I can definitely see upgraded brakes perhaps needed, depending upon trailer brake status.

Also, a load leveling hitch would have to help.
Have to consider being able to stop safely, the wrangler weight limits whether diesel or gas is based on the structure of the vehicle, mainly frame. I tow my Moby-1 at around 2800 lbs plus 400 lbs of mining equipment and i can still accelerate going uphill so I know diesel is very capable.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
It's the suspension. It is designed for off road performance. The Wrangler isn't as good at controlling sway induced by heavy loads, especially when braking.

The JT has a suspension more like the Ram in the rear so it's much better for towing and as a result has more than 2x the towing capacity.

Also, there is a heat issue. The design of the grille and the engine bay means that the heat generated when towing can heat soak everything. So when you tow, especially up a steep grade, you'll overheat the engine and maybe the transmission easier. The Ram is much better at shedding the heat. The Grand Cherokee is also better at dealing with the heat as well. Add in the extra heat generated by the diesel and that's why the tow rating in the JT is lower with the diesel than the 3.6. and it's why they don't put the turbo 2.0 in the JT at all.

Sponsored

JeepinPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR, '95 Land Cruiser
Brakes and wheelbase certainly are not the limitation. For comparison, Jeep Grand Cherokee. 2" shorter wheelbase than a JLU. Brake rotors are the same diameter. 3.6L V6, 8sp auto, higher curb weight. 6200lb tow rating.

OP
OP
00 Trans Ram

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Sounds like it is most likely frame design, then. A weight-distribution hitch should mitigate frame issues greatly.

Thanks for the info, everyone!

OP
OP
00 Trans Ram

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Well, I'm happy to say that the diesel Wrangler can tow a ~4500 boat without problem! Picked it up yesterday, and drove roughly an hour to get it home. This was in ~80*F heat, sunny, mostly flat (2 tall bridges), and on state highways that weren't always the smoothest or flattest.

Pics below show temps BEFORE (the vertical pictures, taken around 60mph) and DURING (horizontal pics, taken around 55mph). You can see that water temps were about 10*F hotter, and the others were the same. I will say that (not pictured) the oil temps rose to ~225*F during higher loads going uphill on a bridge. But, they came back down while coasting down the other side.

No stability issues at all. And this was without the load leveling hitch. My weights are as follows (boat and trailer are listed weights, dry - which is how they actually are - no fuel, no water, etc.) and tongue weight was measured with bathroom scale:

Trailer weight - 1000lbs
Boat weight - 3400lbs
Tongue weight - 310lbs

The rear of the Wrangler did not squat more than about 1-2 inches under load. Braking was fine with no fade (no panic stops, but careful, normal driving - also, no trailer brakes). I never once encountered any swaying or other bad behavior from the trailer.

If you have any other questions - let me know!

20210523_090956.jpg

20210523_090959.jpg

20210523_091001.jpg

20210523_104112.jpg

20210523_104116.jpg

20210523_104117.jpg

20210523_111221.jpg

Willys53

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1951 Willys CJ3A, all original, 1953 Willys CJ3B with V8 and mods , 2021 JLUR Diesel
Well, I'm happy to say that the diesel Wrangler can tow a ~4500 boat without problem! Picked it up yesterday, and drove roughly an hour to get it home. This was in ~80*F heat, sunny, mostly flat (2 tall bridges), and on state highways that weren't always the smoothest or flattest.

Pics below show temps BEFORE (the vertical pictures, taken around 60mph) and DURING (horizontal pics, taken around 55mph). You can see that water temps were about 10*F hotter, and the others were the same. I will say that (not pictured) the oil temps rose to ~225*F during higher loads going uphill on a bridge. But, they came back down while coasting down the other side.

No stability issues at all. And this was without the load leveling hitch. My weights are as follows (boat and trailer are listed weights, dry - which is how they actually are - no fuel, no water, etc.) and tongue weight was measured with bathroom scale:

Trailer weight - 1000lbs
Boat weight - 3400lbs
Tongue weight - 310lbs

The rear of the Wrangler did not squat more than about 1-2 inches under load. Braking was fine with no fade (no panic stops, but careful, normal driving - also, no trailer brakes). I never once encountered any swaying or other bad behavior from the trailer.

If you have any other questions - let me know!

Jeep Wrangler JL Towing with 3.0 Diesel 20210523_111221

Sponsored

rron

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 jeep wrangler Diesel
Our camper fully loaded is 5000 lbs, and our jeep has the 3.0 diesel with the towing package. And we love it .70 miles hour down the freeway no problems .this is our Fifth jeep and we will never go back to the gas jeep .

Resized_20210424_080934.jpeg

JamC12H23

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Diesel
First I have been a Wrangler owner for about 20 years, 98 TJ, 09 JKU, 21 JLU, multiple Grand Cherokees for my wife.

I have been camping/towing for 10+ years. First was a F250, 31’ travel trailer, no problems with that setup. Then we changed to a Class C 31’, wind in Kansas was a huge issue but I still towed the 09 JKU behind it, finally it was time to downsize to something for just my wife and me, our kids only camp about 1 time per year with us now and that will be ending in the next year or so.

Enter the 2021 Diesel Rubicon, I wanted one as soon as I found out Mopar was putting a Diesel in a Wrangler. I went searching for a Travel Trailer that would fit the towing weight limit of 3500 lbs and this 22’ is 3300 lbs dry, 3800 lbs loaded, I was not concerned at all being a bit over. Weight Distribution Recurve R3 hitch.

I took it last weekend for a trial run about 1 hour away to make sure everything in the camper worked and to make sure the Wrangler was going to perform as I expected it would. It was about 85 degrees out and 20-30 mph wind, no temp issues, Jeep pulled great and had more than enough power to spare. Cross wind is always fun in Kansas but I have just learned to deal with it. Biggest issue is the mirrors being so tiny, I got some extensions but they suck, I’m going to try to figure something out.

Next trip is to Colorado Springs, Alamosa, a few passes and Pagosa Springs in mid June. I will try to remember to update after that trip, I think that will be a really good test for the Jeep’s capabilities of a light tow vehicle.

This is by far the absolute best Jeep I have owned and the best power train I have ever experienced in a Jeep. I would recommend the diesel to anyone and everyone that asks.

Update 06/18/2021

Wichita, KS to Colorado Springs, CO

Started the trip at 77 degrees F air temp, climbed to 90 degrees F by the time we were in Western KS then back down to 85 in Eastern CO. 20 MPH winds down I-70, hauled at 70 MPH for the most part of the trip, about 11 - 13 MPG, total average 11 MPG according to the trip computer. When I got to far western KS the winds died, MPH increased to about 13 MPG, still about 70 MPH. In Eastern CO the winds picked back up and were not climbing anything steep but it was a steady uphill, temps never got over 240 degrees on coolant, taking the foot off the gas quickly dropped them back to 230-235 degrees. Holding at 65 MPH instead of 70 MPH kept the temps closer to 235. Turning south off I-70 to Colorado Springs I was able to drive 65-70, quartering tailwind, 13-14 MPG. Jeep performed excellent the entire trip. In a couple of days we will do some mountain passes and I will really get to test how it does with long, steep climbs.

Final Trip update:

From CO Springs to Pagosa Springs to Home in KS

This Jeep is a stud!! La Veta Pass, La Manga Pass, Cumbres Pass all handled well towing the trailer, I contemplated coming back over Wolf Creek Pass but I still was a bit worried having not had a good feel for the Jeep on really steep inclines. Climbing no high temps, 247 degrees was the max, just let off the gas and it went right down. On the declines 2nd or 3rd gear held speed very well.

While we were in CO we were able to do a bit of trail riding, the Jeep performed just like all of the others I have had and driven, very capable.

Total trip was just over 2000 miles, averaged 15.5 MPG, I expected about 17. I was able to pull the trailer between 65-70 with no issues at all, I could have gone faster but at 70 the MPG dropped to about 11 so I kept it about 65 the whole way.

Now the issues:

1st: Really heavy rain around Pueblo, CO and the Rear Diff lock indicator would flash and then go off, it did it about 3 times and I finally pulled over. When I restarted the Jeep it did not return.

2nd: About 1 hour from home I got a CEL and Red Error along with “Service Electronic Throttle Control”. I limped home with limited power, worried that if I pulled over I would not make it. Next day I drove it again with only the CEL illuminated and on the 4th restart the CEL went away.

I’m going to call the dealer on Monday and see what they want to do about both.

Jeep Wrangler JL Towing with 3.0 Diesel D4A35B88-5ED1-4569-92CD-4346B93536AB

7C8A390D-BDAC-4F26-A46E-D3EA9801ECE3.jpeg

187DB6F4-5F72-44D4-89B3-53D5BC4349AE.jpeg

3B3EF120-2A47-4CFB-AAB6-973D1F68AD50.jpeg

Last edited:

mchastings

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Sport S 2Dr / 2015 Rubicon JKU/2020 Willys JLU Diesel
Occupation
Working to pay my Taxes
Bought my Willys July 2020, Trailer Moby-1 Sept 2020, they are inseparable, I head out almost every weekend, have 20,000 miles on the OD. Trailer with gear and water weighs in at 2500 lbs, Average 18.5 mpg. The diesel in a wrangler is in my opinion, best combination out there. This is my 5th Jeep as well. I am also a former Diesel Mechanic (24 years in the Navy, marine diesels). I have taken the Willys and trailer into some very rough areas and the low end torque of the diesel has been a huge enabler and increased my chances of getting out of rough spots that would have stressed the PenStar. Good to see Wranglers pulling some bigger trailers!

ANEM0268.JPG

Jlonz 3.0l

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk, 2007 Jeep Liberty, 2015 Jeep Wrangler, 2019 Ram 1500
Occupation
Electronic Tech
First I have been a Wrangler owner for about 20 years, 98 TJ, 09 JKU, 21 JLU, multiple Grand Cherokees for my wife.

I have been camping/towing for 10+ years. First was a F250, 31’ travel trailer, no problems with that setup. Then we changed to a Class C 31’, wind in Kansas was a huge issue but I still towed the 09 JKU behind it, finally it was time to downsize to something for just my wife and me, our kids only camp about 1 time per year with us now and that will be ending in the next year or so.

Enter the 2021 Diesel Rubicon, I wanted one as soon as I found out Mopar was putting a Diesel in a Wrangler. I went searching for a Travel Trailer that would fit the towing weight limit of 3500 lbs and this 22’ is 3300 lbs dry, 3800 lbs loaded, I was not concerned at all being a bit over. Weight Distribution Recurve R3 hitch.

I took it last weekend for a trial run about 1 hour away to make sure everything in the camper worked and to make sure the Wrangler was going to perform as I expected it would. It was about 85 degrees out and 20-30 mph wind, no temp issues, Jeep pulled great and had more than enough power to spare. Cross wind is always fun in Kansas but I have just learned to deal with it. Biggest issue is the mirrors being so tiny, I got some extensions but they suck, I’m going to try to figure something out.

Next trip is to Colorado Springs, Alamosa, a few passes and Pagosa Springs in mid June. I will try to remember to update after that trip, I think that will be a really good test for the Jeep’s capabilities of a light tow vehicle.

This is by far the absolute best Jeep I have owned and the best power train I have ever experienced in a Jeep. I would recommend the diesel to anyone and everyone that asks.

Update 06/18/2021

Started the trip at 77 degrees F air temp, climbed to 90 degrees F by the time we were in Western KS then back down to 85 in Eastern CO. 20 MPH winds down I-70, hauled at 70 MPH for the most part of the trip, about 11 - 13 MPG, total average 11 MPG according to the trip computer. When I got to far western KS the winds died, MPH increased to about 13 MPG, still about 70 MPH. In Eastern CO the winds picked back up and were not climbing anything steep but it was a steady uphill, temps never got over 240 degrees on coolant, taking the foot off the gas quickly dropped them back to 230-235 degrees. Holding at 65 MPH instead of 70 MPH kept the temps closer to 235. Turning south off I-70 to Colorado Springs I was able to drive 65-70, quartering tailwind, 13-14 MPG. Jeep performed excellent the entire trip. In a couple of days we will do some mountain passes and I will really get to test how it does with long, steep climbs.

Final Trip update:

This Jeep is a stud!! La Veta Pass, La Manga Pass, Cumbres Pass all handled well towing the trailer, I contemplated coming back over Wolf Creek Pass but I still was a bit worried having not had a good feel for the Jeep on really steep inclines. Climbing no high temps, 247 degrees was the max, just let off the gas and it went right down. On the declines 2nd or 3rd gear held speed very well.

While we were in CO we were able to do a bit of trail riding, the Jeep performed just like all of the others I have had and driven, very capable.

Total trip was just over 2000 miles, averaged 15.5 MPG, I expected about 17. I was able to pull the trailer between 65-70 with no issues at all, I could have gone faster but at 70 the MPG dropped to about 11 so I kept it about 65 the whole way.

Now the issues:

1st: Really heavy rain around Pueblo, CO and the Rear Diff lock indicator would flash and then go off, it did it about 3 times and I finally pulled over. When I restarted the Jeep it did not return.

2nd: About 1 hour from home I got a CEL and Red Error along with “Service Electronic Throttle Control”. I limped home with limited power, worried that if I pulled over I would not make it. Next day I drove it again with only the CEL illuminated and on the 4th restart the CEL went away.

D4A35B88-5ED1-4569-92CD-4346B93536AB.jpeg

Update 06/18/2021

Final Trip update:

Now the issues:

D4A35B88-5ED1-4569-92CD-4346B93536AB.jpeg

Nice setup. I have a 2020 Sports Ecodiesel that I pull 19FBS Geo Pro. Very similiar specs as yours. I tow mine around 400 miles weekly with no issues. I have also had my rear tires spin easier when raining, I think do to my weight distribution hitch putting more weight on the front end of the Jeep. Usually only happens in rain and from a stop going around a corner.
Just had my Service electonic throttle message and CEL come on this past week (Forth of July). Did not experience any loss of power though. Stopped at roadside rest area, shut Jeep off and restarted the message went away and the throttle light went out. The CEL light remained on. I am wondering if this occurred because I had just install a Lithium battery in the trailer. The Lithium battery is a higher voltage 13.6 to 14.2 volts. Is it possible that the higher voltage feeding back thru the jeep caused erronious voltages to occur causing CEL light to come on. Just a thought. Not sure what battery you have in you rig.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
It's not the brakes, frame, suspension, etc. Smaller Jeeps of the past have had more towing capacity.

They can't do a proper Class IV hitch because of how it mounts on the JL.
Sponsored