Towing snowmobiles with a 2 door

SportE

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lotus Sport, Audi S3, 2Dr Rubicon
Anyone tow a Triton TC128 with a 2 door JL? it is about 1000 pounds empty, 2000 with two sleds. Is this safe enough?
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
JL 2-door towing capacity is 2,000 lbs. You’d be right at the limit.

If you are going up a mountain, that’d be pretty sketchy.

Add snow into the mix...my guess would be No.

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
Mark,

Two points. First, the Max GTW (Gross Trailer Weight) is 2000 lbs which includes the weight of the trailer. So your over the stated limit.

Second, depending on how the snowmobiles are loaded, the Max Trailer Tongue Weight is 200 lbs.

So you'll be pushing the upper limits. Is your rig lifted, have any additional mods? How many occupents? If there is any additional vehicle weight, you'll also need to consider GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating). Refer to the chart below from the JL Owner's Manual.

I'm sure you could do it depending on engine type and if your rig is bone empty, but as @aldo08229 indicates above, things might get sketchy especially at highway speeds or going up hills.

Jay

Jeep Wrangler JL Towing snowmobiles with a 2 door Screenshot_20201122-100432

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
First, the Max GTW (Gross Trailer Weight) is 2000 lbs which includes the weight of the trailer. So your over the stated limit.
He said it’s “2,000 lbs with two sleds” implying that the trailer & snowmobiles are 2k combined. Right at the limit, but not over

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep, you're right but with any of the other stuff (like passengers and cargo) he'll likely be over.

I also stated that he could probably do it but certainly, he's at the upper limit and will need to be careful.

Jay

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
That doesn’t leave him any room for error. Let alone adverse driving and weather conditions.

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@aldo98229,

Another very fine point. Hauling snowmobiles implies 'SNOW'. Does Mark have good winter tires and chains? Tractive effort diminishes considerably when pulling a loaded trailer. So weather and road conditions must of course be yet another factor to consider.

Good catch.
Jay

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Yes. Part of the reason JL 2-door is limited to towing 2,000 lbs is due to its short wheelbase; it does not provide the stability of say the 4-door for towing.

Now imagine a 2-door towing 2,000 lbs, uphill, in the snow...and momentarily losing traction on one side...

Yeah.

Croomrider

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKR
Yes. Part of the reason JL 2-door is limited to towing 2,000 lbs is due to its short wheelbase; it does not provide the stability of say the 4-door for towing.

Now imagine a 2-door towing 2,000 lbs, uphill, in the snow...and momentarily losing traction on one side...

Yeah.
Forget that, imagine towing 2000 lbs DOWN hill In the snow!

Sponsored

OP
OP

SportE

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. I am not ever going far. 15 miles at most. But you are all correct that I would be near the limit (the trailer is a bit less than 1000 and the sleds are more like 475 each) and there are lots of hills and snow where I am. I was sort of hoping that someone would say that the towing limits are overly conservative and I will be fine. Guess not. It is a Rubi with K02s which does very well around here but it doesn't sound like that would change anyones opinion.

I also saw that frontal area thing. That is tiny. Is that about wind resistance?

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What is “Frontal Area” in that chart?
David,

The 'Frontal Area' is the size of the front of trailer you're pulling. An unloaded light utility trailer would be a few square feet, a monster RV could be 100 square feet or more. It typically measures the function of air resistance added to the trailer as drag.

So Mark is correct, it is indeed a measure of wind resistance and is indeed rather small. 20 square ft is 5" x 4". For a snowmobile trailer, I'm sure it's about that size (or very close).

Jay

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
P
David,

The 'Frontal Area' is the size of the front of trailer you're pulling. An unloaded light utility trailer would be a few square feet, a monster RV could be 100 square feet or more. It typically measures the function of air resistance added to the trailer as drag.

So Mark is correct, it is indeed a measure of wind resistance and is indeed rather small. 20 square ft is 5" x 4". For a snowmobile trailer, I'm sure it's about that size (or very close).

Jay
I don’t believe I’ve ever seen Frontal Area in a towing spec. Makes sense tho. Thanks

OP
OP

SportE

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you all for the information. Let me ask the question backwards. Given that hills and snow/ice are a factor, what weight would you feel is safe? Problem is that I am starting with 1000 pounds sleds.
I have three options left. 1 clamshell type trailer for a total weight of 1600 to 1700 pounds. 2 open trailer for a total weight of 1450 pounds (not good for the sleds cuz of salt etc.). 3 Sell the sleds.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Thank you all for the information. Let me ask the question backwards. Given that hills and snow/ice are a factor, what weight would you feel is safe? Problem is that I am starting with 1000 pounds sleds.
I have three options left. 1 clamshell type trailer for a total weight of 1600 to 1700 pounds. 2 open trailer for a total weight of 1450 pounds (not good for the sleds cuz of salt etc.). 3 Sell the sleds.
I would tow it for 15 miles and not worry one bit about it. I would take precautions and drive appropriately for the road conditions. Just remember that you are towing.

I snowmobiled for years. We usually traveled five to six hours north to sled in the UP of Michigan. We towed with a diesel truck, an enclosed trailer, with up to five sled in the trailer and then five guys in the truck with the gear in the enclosed trailer. It was common to see trailers and trucks in the ditch, crashed and at times upside down. Why because we snowmobiled when it was snowing, blowing and the roads were Icey, and terrible.

I would not worry about going 15nmiles. It is close by, you can take it easy and go slow and controlled. It is not like you are going to be running 80+mph. You are not over weight and my expericance is that sleds on sled trailers pull very well. Just keep the speed down.

For all of it, if the roads are snow covered, just ride the sleds to your riding area. It was common for us to put 300+ miles on the sleds in a day in the UP, so your little jaunt is nothing.

Hey post pic of your sled. I got out of sleds about 4 years ago. I think snowmobiling is about the most fun you can have on a trail or out in the wilderness.

Use the clamshell trailer.
Sponsored