Jeeper2

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
has anyone towed a Sport with a Rubicon? My husband and I both own jeeps and we both like to wheel but are trying to come up with a solution to tow one with the other without a trailer/truck combo since we don't have those. Given with weight and tow capacity are really different,. Any suggestions or has anyone done it successfully ? If you have, what type of bracket/tow package did you have.
Sponsored

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
I cannot speak to to how the lead jeep will handle towing over the rated limit.

BUT, in terms of setup for the toad (the jeep being towed, we simply call them toads in the RV world:), check out the flat towing section, and you will find some great threads that lay out everything you need:
Flat tow harness options for the toad (the mopar flat tow like I used, as well as an option from cool-tech)
Tow bars
tow bar base plate or flat tow capable front bumper
supplemental brake system for the toad.

just be aware that you are talking several thousand to set it up correctly between everything you need, but you will be saving the extra weight of the trailer, as well as the hassle of where to store it. That is why I flat town mine.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I have a tow master dolly...depending on the Jeep you may be near the max capacity. I'm also aware that Jeep tells you not to use a dolly. That said, I towed my YJ a number of times without issue. Used my wife's Honda Pilot to pull it the last 2 times.
In 2wd, the front axle and transfer case aren't doing anything. You could, in theory, use the dolly to pull another Jeep. I have a 4500 lb receiver hitch, it should all work. Got the dolly brand new in Atlanta, less than $1000.

OP
OP
Jeeper2

Jeeper2

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you all for your input, we were thinking the same, not sure it's worth the money for everything and the major safety factor. I guess we'll both drive, darn it, lol

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
If you were closer, I'd let you try out the dolly. But driving 2 Jeeps sounds like a good time.
Sponsored