Sponsored

Towing my 2021 JL behind my 27ft motorhome, what should I know?

OP
OP

mmayer813

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (Rubicon)
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Make sure to check the tow bracket connections (to the Jeep) regularly, particularly over the first 1000 or 2000 miles. The jerking and flexing in all directions can loosen bolts. My connections at the frame became sloppy enough to rattle after 1500 miles, so I pulled them apart, liberally applied loctite red, and torqued the crap out of the bolts. No problems since.

I’ve never tried the red handkerchief technique, but I can recommend a rear facing camera. I see the entire Jeep all the time, unless I activate a turn signal, which momentarily shifts the monitor to a wide-angle view down that side of the coach.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind, I torqued everything to spec and used red loctite at install, so hopefully no issues. I have a backup camera on the motorhome that will be looking back full time for sure.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@mmayer813

Does your JL have the LED light option? ..... LED headlights and LED tail lights...

If you plan to tow at night and/or days at a time, your rear tail light activation's will be constant....
...This rear tail light activation awakens your JL and it's being awakened and awakened will eventually consume the battery(s).

Clayton at @CoolTech has a solution... This is a kit that prevents battery drain on towed Jeeps that have OEM LED lights. Compatible with ALL tow harness kits.

Buy it here: https://www.cooltechllc.com/2018-jeep-wrangler-jl/142-jl-wrangler-and-gladiator-led-light-fix.html

OP
OP

mmayer813

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
@mmayer813

Does your JL have the LED light option? ..... LED headlights and LED tail lights...

If you plan to tow at night and/or days at a time, your rear tail light activation's will be constant....
...This rear tail light activation awakens your JL and it's being awakened and awakened will eventually consume the battery(s).

Clayton at @CoolTech has a solution... This is a kit that prevents battery drain on towed Jeeps that have OEM LED lights. Compatible with ALL tow harness kits.

Buy it here: https://www.cooltechllc.com/2018-jeep-wrangler-jl/142-jl-wrangler-and-gladiator-led-light-fix.html

Yep all LED's on my jeep!

OP
OP

mmayer813

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So, I have this awesome 2021 Rubicon 4dr that I just finished setting up to tow behind my motorhome. I took it for a short "test tow" around the lake we live on, and it seemed to go as expected. However, I will be heading out on our first long trip with the jeep in tow tomorrow, and looking for any "lessons learned", "helpful tips", or anything else that I should be aware of while towing. The one thing I do know is the process for taking the jeep out of gear so as not to damage tranny.
UPDATE:
Well, first long drive was a success!! No flames, no puddles of oil or tranny fluid, and the Jeep was still there after the our 250 mile drive!! In fact, the motorhome drove and responded as if there was nothing in tow. About the only time there was any indication was when you first hit the brakes, and when you started to accelerate from the surge brake movement. Very happy with my setup!!

acomputernerd

First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
NERD
UPDATE:
Well, first long drive was a success!! No flames, no puddles of oil or tranny fluid, and the Jeep was still there after the our 250 mile drive!! In fact, the motorhome drove and responded as if there was nothing in tow. About the only time there was any indication was when you first hit the brakes, and when you started to accelerate from the surge brake movement. Very happy with my setup!!
good to hear and many happy years of fun and travel ahead!

Sponsored

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
@mmayer813

Something must have changed in 2021. I have the OEM LED lighting package and just use the Curt harness. So far, 7K miles of towing and no dead battery or wakening up the Jeep. Plus, no dead battery. I've towed it for days at a time without unhooking it or starting it. My running lights are always on for the RV, so the Jeep ones are on too.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
UPDATE:
I have a 26ft RV and have flat towed my Jeep for 7K miles since May. As for backing up, you can actually do it but no more than a foot. I was able to squeeze myself out of a gas station by doing 1ft increments with the RV just so I could get out. It took about 10 times of going back and forth, but it worked. I suggest going to a parking lot and use the backup camera (if you have one) and just back it up a few inches. You'll see what happens and thus know what the limit you are comfortable with.

Down South

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
UPDATE:
I'm glad you had great success. I'm about to tow my newest Wrangler for the first time, a 2020 Rubicon.
I use a Demco Stay-In-Play Duo supplemental braking system which I removed from my previous Wrangler.
I ran a charge wire with diode just in case for the battery.

PLANEJIM

First Name
JIM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAM1500 LEXUS 460 TIFFIN PHATOM
U can actually back up with Wrangler when flat towing. Use a bungee if you must back up wrapped thru steering wheel and latch to seat frame-it keeps the steering wheel from going stop to stop when backing up in those situations you try not to get into.
Sponsored