Towing Impression

ResqFE

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
I rented and towed R-Pod, 2700 pound Rv trailer to a event (Tierra Del Sol) this weekend 180 miles each way from Lancaster.

My observations;

Headed downhill for part of it and mostly level and was getting 13 mpg. Average was about 60 mph at 3000 rpm. Fairly stable on the road.

Heading home up the Hwy 15 out of LA saw a average of 9 mpg. Hi winds too. The steepest part had me seeing 4 mpg on the trip computer. The font actually turns to yellow from green. Doing 50-55 Mph at 4k rpm.

Braking was okay but needed more distance to stop obviously.

For my type of camping in mountains here has me not considering a camper this heavy for steeper grade driving. While good for level terrain seeing 4 mpg sucks and expensive. I will be looking for a small teardrop style set up.

Hope this helps anyone considering a heavy trailer with making a decision good for them.
Sponsored

Pink Brit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"GAMORA" Mojito JLR 6-speed manual :)
Occupation
Personal Trainer
I rented and towed R-Pod, 2700 pound Rv trailer to a event (Tierra Del Sol) this weekend 180 miles each way from Lancaster.

My observations;

Headed downhill for part of it and mostly level and was getting 13 mpg. Average was about 60 mph at 3000 rpm. Fairly stable on the road.

Heading home up the Hwy 15 out of LA saw a average of 9 mpg. Hi winds too. The steepest part had me seeing 4 mpg on the trip computer. The font actually turns to yellow from green. Doing 50-55 Mph at 4k rpm.

Braking was okay but needed more distance to stop obviously.

For my type of camping in mountains here has me not considering a camper this heavy for steeper grade driving. While good for level terrain seeing 4 mpg sucks and expensive. I will be looking for a small teardrop style set up.

Hope this helps anyone considering a heavy trailer with making a decision good for them.
If you aren't set on a regular style or teardrop camper, perhaps consider the 840lb www.sylvansport.com GO, which is a utility trailer, gear hauler, and camper in one. I currently tow mine with a Mini Cooper Convertible (trading for a JLR) and have no problems, although I load it lightly with maybe 150lbs max as my Mini is only rated for 1000lbs (in UK). You can stand up inside, it sleeps 4, and has proved more valuable as a utility trailer than I had originally thought it would. There are no 'camper' bells and whistles (if you want a kitchen, you have to pack one; if you want power, you can install solar which i did), but I absolutely love mine. It's pretty expensive, but then so is my Jeep! it's ease of use and versatility mean that I have used it much more than I would a traditional Teardrop. My JLR will have the tow package installed when it arrives, and as it's rated to 2000lbs so I can haul this thing fully loaded at 1600lbs with 400lbs 'safety room' to spare. If you like it, and decide to buy one, let them know Wendie Snow sent you, I might get a free t-shirt or something :P