First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I towed this 17,000 miles last year.

1612268735213.png

I think it is super cool that you are doing this with your kids. Thats what cool parents do.
Just curious..Does a camper like that come with some kind of heater... I guess I could just br8a space heater though...
Sponsored

robynE

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
https://www.sherline.com/product/sherline-trailer-tongue-weight-scale/

This is the tongue scale I recommend. Its expensive, but well worth the price in my opinion. Just put some 4x4 blocks or cinder blocks under the tongue, sit the scale on top and then lower the tongue onto the scale post, but make sure at that point the tongue is as level as possible.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Just curious..Does a camper like that come with some kind of heater... I guess I could just br8a space heater though...
Yes, it has a heater, air conditioning, a tv, stereo, 22 gallon fresh water tank, sink, wifi booster, digital tv antenna, microwave, two big batteries, led lights, USB ports, 12v and 110 plugs. roof rack,

I have camped in it down to 2 degrees in the winter. I bring a small generator with me. when using the heat or the air conditioning. Meaning the weather has to be really hot at night or really cold at night.

Rigene

First Name
Rigene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL 2021
I appreciate the write up. I feel the same way, I tow a camper with my 3.6 and it does shockingly well! I don’t push it hard, and i get over 11 mpg.
DF76F25D-C9C7-4AA3-B943-AF38F8B8C7A8.jpeg
I need that trailer

Sponsored

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
If I keep my speed between 60-65 mph on the interstate I will get 10 MPGs I tow a Geopro 15tb and I use a sway bar which is a big help. It tows great.

KIMG0938.jpg

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
If I keep my speed between 60-65 mph on the interstate I will get 10 MPGs I tow a Geopro 15tb and I use a sway bar which is a big help. It tows great.

Jeep Wrangler JL Towing a Camper Cross-Country with a JLU KIMG0938
Great setup. I think it’s about the perfect size/weight for the jlu. With MarioC it’s a sample size of only three, but 🤷‍♂️.

FYI, my mileage went up after a gear change to 5.13. Just got back from a 650 mile trip and averaged 12.9 @ 60. To me that’s totally fine.

Keith C

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
High School Athletic Director/ Track Timer

Jeep Wrangler JL Towing a Camper Cross-Country with a JLU KIMG0938
I am totally jealous now!

gonmudn

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU Mojito!
Hi all!

I am so glad I found this post and the information was so helpful but I am still not 100% sure that the travel trailer I am looking at is going to be towable without any issues.

I have been considering my options for a travel trailer and have narrowed it down to the E-Pro 15tb or the 19fd. I will be taking this from Washington to Arizona and have never towed with the JL before. I am used to towing large loads with an F350 but don't want to have to take the truck and fifth wheel. I want to make sure I get the right one for me (love the 19fd for the space but the 15tb is more weight appropriate). My biggest concern is that everything I read says that the JL has a 3500/350 towing/hitch capacity and even though both of these are under that 3500 they are not under the 350. I have researched and see many people who say the 19fd is no problem to tow but it starts at a dry weight of 3167 with a hitch weight of 418. The 15tb has a dry weight of 2608 and hitch weight of 374. I would really love to have the larger trailer and see many people seem to be towing it just fine. When I am back in Washington I will be using the husband's F350 to haul it but don't want to take his truck with me in case he needs it for work.

A couple of notes on what I travel with. I will have the bare necessities but travel with an umbrella cockatoo so the extra room would be great. He has a small travel cage so I don't think this will cause any weight issues but think it is about 20 to 25 pounds by itself.

I would appreciate any thoughts and advice that people have.

Sponsored

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Hi all!

I am so glad I found this post and the information was so helpful but I am still not 100% sure that the travel trailer I am looking at is going to be towable without any issues.

I have been considering my options for a travel trailer and have narrowed it down to the E-Pro 15tb or the 19fd. I will be taking this from Washington to Arizona and have never towed with the JL before. I am used to towing large loads with an F350 but don't want to have to take the truck and fifth wheel. I want to make sure I get the right one for me (love the 19fd for the space but the 15tb is more weight appropriate). My biggest concern is that everything I read says that the JL has a 3500/350 towing/hitch capacity and even though both of these are under that 3500 they are not under the 350. I have researched and see many people who say the 19fd is no problem to tow but it starts at a dry weight of 3167 with a hitch weight of 418. The 15tb has a dry weight of 2608 and hitch weight of 374. I would really love to have the larger trailer and see many people seem to be towing it just fine. When I am back in Washington I will be using the husband's F350 to haul it but don't want to take his truck with me in case he needs it for work.

A couple of notes on what I travel with. I will have the bare necessities but travel with an umbrella cockatoo so the extra room would be great. He has a small travel cage so I don't think this will cause any weight issues but think it is about 20 to 25 pounds by itself.

I would appreciate any thoughts and advice that people have.
My Geopro 15tb has a hitch weight of 327lbs. The newer ones do have a higher hitch weight like you describe. I added a second battery to the front and have one full tank of LP, this increased my hitch weight to just over the 350 limit. To counter some of the hitch weight, I placed my recovery gear and tools to the rear of the Travel Trailer. If you have to, you could disconnect and move your battery and LP tanks inside over the Axles and try to secure them so they don't move around while driving. You don't want to overload the tail end of your trailer because of fishtail issues. make sure your hitch weight is at least 10 % of the total trailer weight and get a good sway bar. Make sure you Have/Get a break controller installed on your jeep I believe a weight distribution hitch will only be of value when used for trailers over 4000 lbs, It won't do you any good at 3500 lbs. When you are hitched up and driving at night, every oncoming vehicle will think you have your high beams on so try hard not to watch oncoming traffic because they will regularly bombard you with their brights, its best to look away from them at all times and watch your lane.

Last edited:

Frank R.

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Sorry, but no Wrangler can tow a camper. Much like "dog" starts at 100 pounds (any canine under that is merely a pet), "camper" starts at 30 feet (any trailer under that is merely...well...a trailer).

I should have mentioned last night that this was meant to be a bit tongue-in-cheek...
Sponsored

Last edited: