Towing 2890 lbs with Jeep JL?

travel RN

First Name
Judi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep sahara extended
I want to get a forest river r pod 190 with dry weight of about 2890. I have a 2018 sahara extended automatic with tow weight of 3500. Can I tow this and will I have any issues?
Sponsored

OP
OP

travel RN

First Name
Judi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep sahara extended
I want to get a forest river r pod 190 with dry weight of about 2890. I have a 2018 sahara extended automatic with tow weight of 3500. Can I tow this and will I have any issues?

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Only if you don't put more than 610 lbs of stuff in it. Which is easier to do than you may think.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
You’re going to be running close to or above max tow weight, never a good idea. “Can” you pull it, sure, Should you pull it? Your call. Remember water is 8.3 lbs/gallon. As noted you only have a “reserve” of 610 lbs and it’s VERY easy to exceed that (2 standard propane bottles = 55-60 lbs, 30 gallons water =250 lbs, etc. ). Also trailers often are heavier than their “listed” weight, even when empty. Be careful here.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Dry tongue weight is listed at 307 lbs, you’re real close to max with just an empty trailer

Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
At the very least add disc brakes to the trailer and a brake controller to the Wrangler. Also get a weight distribution hitch. Always tow dry and load the rear with the heavier gear will actually reduce or maintain tongue weight. You will be at the limit but with the Brakes you will be fine.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with lightsout’s post above. And for further safety, drive with caution at reasonable speeds- below the speed limit if necessary- and if there are crazy winds, adjust your pace or pull over till they subside.

A basically-stock Toyota Tundra towed the Space Shuttle... pretty much anything can tow pretty much anything; what makes the difference is how you go about doing it.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Also noteworthy is that you’ll need to upgrade to a Class III hitch with the WDH. (The factory hitch is only Class II)

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
You’ll likely need a weight distributing hitch.

As long as you don’t weigh it down with stuff, your Jeep can tow it, but it likely won’t be fun.

I don’t know which model it was, but I know someone who rented an rpod for a cross country trip and hated every second of driving with it. Said the worst was going through Texas when it was pretty windy.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
A frequently overlooked aspect is how much surface area that wind can play with. Bow waves from Tractor Trailers, cross winds, head winds, bridges, I think maximum surface area is given in the owners manual . The tail can really wag the dog here.
Sponsored